Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More Argento coming in 4K UHD from Arrow

290086_front.jpg
288440_front.jpg

Couldn't resist. Finally Sprung for the 9 Disc complete UHD4K Lord of The Rings Trilogy [Warner/Native UHD4K/HDR10/Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos].
Lightning Deal was $60! Box set contains both the Theatrical and Extended Cuts! $6.67 per disc!

81%2BhhMBbD4L._SL1500_.jpg

Couldn't resist. Finally Sprung for the 9 Disc complete UHD4K Lord of The Rings Trilogy [Warner/Native UHD4K/HDR10/Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos].
Lightning Deal was $60! Box set contains both the Theatrical and Extended Cuts! $6.67 per disc!
It was great being able to watch the extended versions together with my eleven year old son - we really enjoyed the experience. However, I was annoyed that Peter Jackson allowed so much digital noise reduction on The Fellowship Of The Ring. Maybe it was to ensure continuity across the trilogy, as they all have a processed look? It doesn't look like the film I saw theatrically. Very noticeable if you project on to a large screen.

It was great being able to watch the extended versions together with my eleven year old son - we really enjoyed the experience. However, I was annoyed that Peter Jackson allowed so much digital noise reduction on The Fellowship Of The Ring. Maybe it was to ensure continuity across the trilogy, as they all have a processed look? It doesn't look like the film I saw theatrically. Very noticeable if you project on to a large screen.

If you read the reviews @ blu.ray.com under the video section [each 4K film has its own review], you will understand why edge sharpening was employed in some of the heavily CGI sequences.

All transfers were personally supervised by Peter Jackson.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-...ion-Picture-Trilogy-4K-Blu-ray/278517/#Review

If you read the reviews @ blu.ray.com under the video section [each 4K film has its own review], you will understand why edge sharpening was employed in some of the heavily CGI sequences.

All transfers were personally supervised by Peter Jackson.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-...ion-Picture-Trilogy-4K-Blu-ray/278517/#Review
Yes, I am aware of that. I know the filmmakers wanted a cohesive look to the whole trilogy on UHD - not an easy task, considering the immense use of CGI everywhere. However, the first film looked beautiful on its release in cinemas. I remember this, as in Norway they imported a special copy of the film WITHOUT SUBTITLES, in order for patrons to savour the cinematography at one particular prestige theatre. I saw it twice there and once on another copy, marvelling at how beautiful it was. The DNR is more noticeable the larger screen you see the UHD on. On Fellowship, for example, there are no details in the leaves in the trees where Frode meets Gandalf for the first time. Many people are happy with the UHD - I know the CGI on the second and third films would probably have looked awful, without the whole image being processed. But seeing as this is Quadraphenic Quad, where members howl at brickwalled music or any signs of noise reduction having been applied, I feel I'm justified in lodging a small dissenting voice. It's not an opprobrium!

In comparison, the Indiana Jones trilogy has been done exquisitely. There have been a few digital fixes to the new UHDs but the overwhelming majority of the film looks astoundingly filmic, with beautifully preserved grain.

Yes, I am aware of that. I know the filmmakers wanted a cohesive look to the whole trilogy on UHD - not an easy task, considering the immense use of CGI everywhere. However, the first film looked beautiful on its release in cinemas. I remember this, as in Norway they imported a special copy of the film WITHOUT SUBTITLES, in order for patrons to savour the cinematography at one particular prestige theatre. I saw it twice there and once on another copy, marvelling at how beautiful it was. The DNR is more noticeable the larger screen you see the UHD on. On Fellowship, for example, there are no details in the leaves in the trees where Frode meets Gandalf for the first time. Many people are happy with the UHD - I know the CGI on the second and third films would probably have looked awful, without the whole image being processed. But seeing as this is Quadraphenic Quad, where members howl at brickwalled music or any signs of noise reduction having been applied, I feel I'm justified in lodging a small dissenting voice. It's not an opprobrium!

In comparison, the Indiana Jones trilogy has been done exquisitely. There have been a few digital fixes to the new UHDs but the overwhelming majority of the film looks astoundingly filmic, with beautifully preserved grain.

I am not a cinephile, but I appreciate your comments. The Fellowship UHD looks unnatural at times in comparison with my memory of the big screen as well as the older edition viewed on my plasma screen at the time. Just starting Two Towers, and the differences are less jarring and more pleasing to my eye.

I really appreciate your input. I will soon have a Sony VPL~VW995ES 3D Laser Projector installed with a 120" Stewart Filmscreen so I will certainly be picky about the results. Wonder if director Jackson will revisit the trilogy again in the future for another makeover? 8K, possibly?

Godzilla (2013) 4K:
1. HUGE! LFE on this one that'll rattle the walls/whatever you're sitting on/require a straightening of pictures hanging on nearby walls once it finishes. Worth the purchase for this alone.
2. Excellent sound design. Love them monster noises.
3. Surround mix is alright. Not a ton of discrete surround activity as there should have been but that bass, dang.
4. Really good HDR on this. Bright bits like torches ("flashlights" for some of you) are really bright.
5. I find it a fun, brain-off-volume-up watch.

Godzilla (2013) 4K:
1. HUGE! LFE on this one that'll rattle the walls/whatever you're sitting on/require a straightening of pictures hanging on nearby walls once it finishes. Worth the purchase for this alone.
2. Excellent sound design. Love them monster noises.
3. Surround mix is alright. Not a ton of discrete surround activity as there should have been but that bass, dang.
4. Really good HDR on this. Bright bits like torches ("flashlights" for some of you) are really bright.
5. I find it a fun, brain-off-volume-up watch.

I'm looking forward to the new Godzilla vs Kong in 3D...although one of the posters @ blu.ray.com said it wasn't as 3D ... as expected!

51jlJdbYwzS.jpg

I'm an absolute sucker for Man's Best Friend flicks and couldn't resist Fox/Disney's latest retelling of Jack London's THE CALL OF THE WILD. The UHD Native 4K presentation is flawless and even though Buck, the main 'protagonist' was CGI [and BRILLIANTLY done at that], it adhered to London's vision of BUCK as the central character. And for AmazonUS' asking price of $7.50 ..... a NO brainer!

81kQYgK-J4L._SL1500_.jpg

I just watched Shout Factory's 4K restoration of the Director's Cut of Lawnmower Man and can VERY HIGHLY Recommend it. I've never seen the 141' cut prior to this and Amazon Prime's lightning deal was a sweet surprise. Way ahead of its time, LM has NEVER looked and sounded better.

91vQv55rW9L._SL1500_.jpg

I just watched Shout Factory's 4K restoration of the Director's Cut of Lawnmower Man and can VERY HIGHLY Recommend it. I've never seen the 141' cut prior to this and Amazon Prime's lightning deal was a sweet surprise. Way ahead of its time, LM has NEVER looked and sounded better.

91vQv55rW9L._SL1500_.jpg

agree, sci-fi graphics never lent themselves to standard def

Back