Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From Universal Home Video SCOTT PILGRIM Vs THE WORLD {Upscaled UHD4K/HDR10/DOLBY VISION/Dolby ATMOS}

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Scott-Pilgrim-vs-the-World-4K-Blu-ray/269844/#Review

9119z+ppWgS._SL1500_.jpg

Why would anyone want to watch a 6 hour miniseries about a deadly virus which obliterates 99% of the world population during a corona virus pandemic which doesn't seem to want to go away? Easy, especially when the teleplay was authored by the Man himself, Stephen King based on his sprawling novel THE STAND and features a cast to die for, sturdy direction, a fantastic upgraded transfer and Amazon's blow out pricing of $7.99!

Admittedly, I have never read King's opus nor have I ever beheld CBS' 6 hour miniseries televised over 4 nights in 1994 but halfway through, I am absolutely riveted by the sheer twists and turns and current relevance this mini epic holds in today's unfortunate state of affairs.

If you've never seen Stephen King's THE STAND, Paramount home video's 2019 BD~V release with upgraded special effects, superb remastering and yes, a Dolby Digital 2.0 soundtrack which decodes in 5.1 through my receiver with surprisingly robust sonics is a RARE TREAT.

VERY Highly Recommended!

51QEVGZJflL.jpg

R.7f428a2693e65a8d88abaf39a84e0c90
Thanks for this post, I just bought it. I had this on VHS for years and finally tossed it out with the rest of my tapes but never updated to DVD. I was thinking that it was 8 hours when originally broadcast though. Two hours for each of the four chapters. Maybe that included the commercials.

It's hard to believe that ALMOST FAMOUS, released in 2000, is 21 years YOUNG. Just finished watching the Native UHD4K BOOTLEG edition and loved it all over again. A movie with Heart! Anyone who's on the fence about adding this lustrous edition to their home video collection can be assured it's everything one could wish for in a proper remaster. The music is legendary, the acting spot on and yes, young William Miller in the person of actor Patrick Fugit has to be the coolest '15 year old' in modern cinema. And Billy Crudup as guitarist Russell Hammond is amazing. Saw him on Broadway in The Elephant Man and sans make up he managed to give a bravura performance. This will be one of those once a year movie events to cherish. Thank you Cameron Crowe ... and Company!

R.913af53bad82485004603dcfea59ff9a

Lone Survivor (2013) 4K:
1. Excellent surround mix on this with aircraft/twigs scraping/bones breaking active during a significant part of the movie. Oh, and there's a gun fight too. With the lows, it's reference level stuff up there with Godzilla, Gravity, Roma.
2. Great HDR on this. Some pretty bright shots directly into the sun.
3. The BD is region free and has all of the extras about the true story on it: Amazon.com: Lone Survivor [Blu-ray]: Mark Wahlberg, Taylor Kitsch, Emile Hirsch, Ben Foster, Eric Bana, Peter Berg, Peter Berg, Sarah Aubrey, Randall Emmett, Norton Herrick, Barry Spikings, Akiva Goldsman, Mark Wahlberg, Stephen Levinson, Vitaly Grigoriants, Peter Berg, Wylie Stateman, Andy Koyama, Beau Borders, David Brownlow: Movies & TV Well worth the purchase.

Just what we need in these uncertain times in 2021.....a BIG SPLASHY MUSICAL from the creator of HAMILTON. [Native UHD4K/HDR10+/Dolby Vision/Dolby ATMOS] Release date: August 31st

81iHGhrq4VS._SL1500_.jpg

It puts the 4K in the Amazon cart or it gets the SDR again.

Unfortunately, I sprung for the Criterion 4K 1080p Remaster which I've never watched. When Oh When is Criterion ever going to release in UHD4K?

BTW, you enquired about the 3D version of WONDER WOMAN 1984: The Opening in IMAX 3D was spectacular but IMO, the film hampered by POOR direction and lethargic pacing went downhill from there. What a sappy production! At least it didn't break the bank at under $16 but for once I should've listened to the critics who virtually panned it!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I sprung for the Criterion 4K 1080p Remaster which I've never watched. When Oh When is Criterion ever going to release in UHD4K?

BTW, you enquired about the 3D version of WONDER WOMAN 1984: The Opening in IMAX 3D was spectacular but IMO, the film hampered by POOR direction went downhill from there. What a sappy production! At least it didn't break the bank at under $16 but for once I should've listened to the critics who virtually panned it!
Good to hear the 3D was enjoyable. Yeah, shame about the rest of the movie. Very basic and totally forgettable. Especially after the first WW was as good as it was. Oh well.

Not sure what Criterion are up to but with the exchange rate/shipping to NZ/other taxes, they're the most overpriced company for me. Their menu's annoy me also and slow things down with just that tiny bit of unnecessary animation. Be interesting to see what prices their first 4K discs are if they ever get around to it. Probably through the roof I'd imagine.

Good to hear the 3D was enjoyable. Yeah, shame about the rest of the movie. Very basic and totally forgettable. Especially after the first WW was as good as it was. Oh well.

Not sure what Criterion are up to but with the exchange rate/shipping to NZ/other taxes, they're the most overpriced company for me. Their menu's annoy me also and slow things down with just that tiny bit of unnecessary animation. Be interesting to see what prices their first 4K discs are if they ever get around to it. Probably through the roof I'd imagine.

Sorry to hear about the overpriced Criterion BD~Vs in the form of s/h/import fees to NZ! We're spoiled here in the states with under $20 sales with free s/h.
I do believe Criterion has established a cautionary stance towards 4K and their pricing would probably be through the roof, as well. And agree concerning their ridiculous menus ...... hardly straighforward and a bit confusing. And as far as I'm concerned their 4K remasters as good as they look in 1080p hardly approach the level of a well mastered Native UHD4K disc a lot of which are priced below Criterions '4K remastered' BD~Vs!!!!!!

Last edited:
Just last night into the early A.M., I had FRONT ROW SEATS to the 2017 expertly taped East End Production of George and Ira Gershwin's exquisite musical AN AMERICAN IN PARIS. For 160 minutes, I was mesmerized by the exquisite set design, choreography and immense talent which went into this production.

And for LESS than 2 glasses of cheap wine🍷🍷at any of the Great White Ways many theaters, it was an investment I'm proud to say I own.

81g2mrn4vFL._SL1500_.jpg

Back