Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Until the End of the World (1991) BD:
1. 5.1 DTS-MA doesn't have much going on in the surrounds unfortunately but I upped my surround levels 5dB to get at least a constant ambience. Better than nothing. There are some scenes with discrete surround action (e.g., insect noises).
2. 4K scan, restoration and colours: Superb. Cinematography: Superb. Acting/direction all spot on. I couldn't take my eyes off it.
4. It's a 4hr and 45 minute road trip epic across 2 BDs that's part Blade Runner aesthetic, part Brazil and part Come True. Lots of extras and a decent booklet. Well worth the purchase and subsequent viewing down the road I'm guessing too (last night was the first time I've seen it).
5. Decent soundtrack:
6. Half price (i.e., a reasonably-priced Criterion Collection purchase) at Amazon now. Region A-locked: Amazon.com

We saw this when it was released in our university art house theater.
Both loved the soundtrack, bought the CD and traded it back & forth between his & hers vehicles.

There are scenes in the film that stayed with me 30 years.
Re-watched it in lockdown streaming on the Criterion Channel and was able to get DD surround on the fire stick.
Really should order the blu ray for the price of two movie tickets.

Wings of Desire and Faraway, So Close by the same director are highly recommended.

On August 24th, BLUE UNDERGROUND will release TWO EVIL EYES based on two short stories by Edgar Allan Poe directed by Dario Argento and George Romero [Native UHD4K/Dolby Vision/HDR10/Dolby ATMOS]

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Two-Evil-Eyes-4K-Blu-ray/289612/#Review

81P93QEAJ5S._SL1500_.jpg

This one is supposed to be an excellent transfer. Can anyone attest to this?
I have the blu-Ray released by Arrow a few years ago and it’s a great transfer. They have used the same transfer here in native 4K resolution. I’m not sure how much of an improvement it would be due to HDR, but I think it’s a safe purchase. A lot of interesting extras as well if you like the movie.

From the Digital Bits website:

While we’re talking 4K Ultra HD, we have word from retail sources that Paramount’s second Miramax title to arrive on the format (after Scream on 10/19) will be Robert Rodriguez’s From Dusk Till Dawn (1996). Look for that to arrive tentatively on 10/26. (We’ll let you know when it gets officially announced and goes up for pre-order on Amazon.)

R.b4bb0a57e053572a3f512455a3cd6647

From the Digital Bits website:

While we’re talking 4K Ultra HD, we have word from retail sources that Paramount’s second Miramax title to arrive on the format (after Scream on 10/19) will be Robert Rodriguez’s From Dusk Till Dawn (1996). Look for that to arrive tentatively on 10/26. (We’ll let you know when it gets officially announced and goes up for pre-order on Amazon.)

R.b4bb0a57e053572a3f512455a3cd6647
Now there is a title, I'd consider buying. What a crazy freaking movie. Always loved it.

Last edited:
From the Warner ARCHIVE Collection a superb remaster of JUDGMENT NIGHT. Trivia: One of the first films utilizing DTS 5.1 and the remastered soundtrack is fantastic/discrete, as well. This fim has never looked better on home video and the performances from the 90's still hold up admirably!

61bDQI+XttL._SL1000_.jpg

From Criterion:

"Each title will be available in a 4K UHD+Blu-ray combo pack including a 4K UHD disc of the feature film as well as the film and its special features on Blu-ray. Select films will be presented in Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos. Stay tuned for more details in our November announcement!"

Well, it's been a LONG wait and it's finally over with this auspicious announcement. Citizen Kane a MUST! Gregg Toland's magnificent cinematography will finally be revealed. I just watched David Lynch's 4K remastered Mulholland Drive a few weeks ago so doubtful I'll double dip but nice to know Criterion's initial batch including THE RED SHOES, THE PIANO and A HARD DAY'S NIGHT in addition to Menace II Society will be part of the long awaited 'ascent' from 2K to 4K.

Since Criterion has 4K remastered a lot of their 1080p releases for the past few years, hopefully a steady slate of NATIVE UHD4K titles will take their bow over the next few years.

Back