Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Mountain (2018) BD:
1. Only the tiniest bit of discrete surround action in this one unfortunately.
2. Enjoyable movie though. Superb cinematography/performances. Cheap and worth a look: The Mountain

Carlito's Way (1993) 4K:
1. Some excellent discrete surround scenes in the clubs.
2. Great colours on the 4K and worth the upgrade. It's a fun watch with great performances: Amazon.com: Carlito's Way (4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray + Digital) : Al Pacino, Sean Penn, Penelope Ann Miller, John Leguizamo, Luis Guzman, John Agustin Ortiz, Michael P. Moran, Tera Tabrizi, Bonnie Timmermann, Steven Puente, Luke Toma, Elliott Santiago, Orlando Urdaneta, Marc Anthony, Garry Blackwood, John Ortiz, Owen Hollander, Joe Conzo, Ingrid Rogers, James Rebhorn, Joseph Siravo, Viggo Mortensen, Richard Foronjy, Jorge Porcel, Frank Minucci, Adrian Pasdar, Angel Salazar, Al Israel, Rick Aviles, Jaime Sanchez, Paul Mazursky, Edmonte Salvato, Victor Sierra, Caesar Cordova, Jon Seda, Elliot Santiago, Frank Ferrara, John Hoyt, Ruben Rivera, Chuck Zito, Sherie Mambru, Tony Cucci, Alfred Sauchelli Jr., Brenda Hernandez, Anthony Catanese, Michael Hadge, Richard Council, James Bulleit, Mel Gorham, Rocco Sisto, John Finn, Brian Tarantina, Sam Weber, Jaime Tirelli, Sonny Zito, John Michael Bolger, Walter T Meade, Vincent Jerosa, Frank Pietrangolare, Dean Rader-Duval, Gene Canfield, Lindsey Lombardi, Sharmagne Leland-St. John, Rene Rivera, Crystal Haney, Gregory Misciagno, Christopher Bregman, Gaetano Lisi, Mary Hammett, Nelson Vasquez, Dan Brennan, Michael Moran, Vincent Pastore, Cynthia Lamontagne, Bo Dietl, Ralph Destino Jr, Luka Toma, Michael Sheehan, Mike Sheehan, Troy A Hawkes, Kim Rideout, Drita Barak, Natalia Rey, Debra Niewald, Christina Murphy, Juliette Ortega, Debbie Benitez, Roberta Mathes, Freddy Rio, Mike Ramos, Yelba Matamoros, Jason Daryn, Kato, James V Miller, Marc Antony, Eric Schwab, Brian De Palma, Alan Burnett, Martin Bregman, Michael S. Bregman, Bruce Timm, Willi Baer: Movies & TV

Coming December 10th from SONY Classical: The World of Hans Zimmer A Symphonic Celebration [2 RBCDs/1 BD~V]

https://www.deepdiscount.com/the-wo...on-extended-version-2-cd-blu-ray/194399339725
71kSnoRIx2L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Coming in March 2022 from British Enterprise 88 Films, John Sayles underated gem MATEWAN in a new 4K restoration [1080p] supervised by Sayles himself with an uncompressed Monaural soundtrack

710Yo0PDTzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I watched the Native UHD4K remaster of BLADE last night [only $9.99 @ Best Buy] and any one who believes the newest format, WHEN DONE RIGHT, does not represent a MASSIVE UPTICK IN QUALITY OVER 1080p should only behold how brilliant 4K renders this Wesley Snipes vehicle. A revelation, in fact.

Enjoyed the film from beginning to end. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for fans!

See the source image

LoTR looks great and I am glad I got the new 4k version.
I do not have it in my heart to ever watch the Hobbit again. I can read the original source in less time than it takes to watch the trilogy.

The Thing (1982) 4K:
1. New 4K scan and it looks pristine. Colours, detail all superb. Windows had some hideous warts on his hands. Never noticed them before and not sure I needed to this time either!
2. New DTS-X mix has more (from memory) going on in the surrounds in 5.1 at my place than the previous BD mix. Fidelity is great. Gotta really crank it loud. A few surprising lows that I don't remember from the BD.
3. Such a great movie. Well worth the upgrade.
4. I'd read that the UK release throws the toys part way in on some players (usual culprits: Oppo and Panasonic). This didn't happen on the release I bought in NZ with the original artwork (same as the US release).

The Thing (1982) 4K:
1. New 4K scan and it looks pristine. Colours, detail all superb. Windows had some hideous warts on his hands. Never noticed them before and not sure I needed to this time either!
2. New DTS-X mix has more (from memory) going on in the surrounds in 5.1 at my place than the previous BD mix. Fidelity is great. Gotta really crank it loud. A few surprising lows that I don't remember from the BD.
3. Such a great movie. Well worth the upgrade.
4. I'd read that the UK release throws the toys part way in on some players (usual culprits: Oppo and Panasonic). This didn't happen on the release I bought in NZ with the original artwork (same as the US release).

The UHD4K remaster of John Carpenters THE THING was indeed a revelation but my recent purchase of StudoCanals Native UHD4K remaster of THE HOWLING [Steelbook edition] just won't play in my Oppo 205! The opening menus play fine but all I can get is a blank screen with the audio. Hmmmm.

Also my treasure trove of pre~Black Friday $10 UHD4K discs are steadily trickling in from AmazonUS and today the Criterion UHD4K remaster of David Lynch's MULHOLLAND DRIVE arrived as well as Kurosawa's Native UHD4K steelbook edition of RAN [from Best Buy]. Have to love Amazon's incredible knock down prices of UHD4K discs ........

I must have ordered 12 discs ....... and for $120 .....an absolute STEAL! In fact, a heck of a lot cheaper than some of those Music boxsets which are spiraling up towards the $200 mark [i.e. Kiss Destroyer!!!!!!]

The UHD4K remaster of John Carpenters THE THING was indeed a revelation but my recent purchase of StudoCanals Native UHD4K remaster of THE HOWLING [Steelbook edition] just won't play in my Oppo 205! The opening menus play fine but all I can get is a blank screen with the audio. Hmmmm.

Also my treasure trove of pre~Black Friday $10 UHD4K discs are steadily trickling in from AmazonUS and today the Criterion UHD4K remaster of David Lynch's MULHOLLAND DRIVE arrived as well as Kurosawa's Native UHD4K steelbook edition of RAN [from Best Buy]. Have to love Amazon's incredible knock down prices of UHD4K discs ........

I must have ordered 12 discs ....... and for $120 .....an absolute STEAL! In fact, a heck of a lot cheaper than some of those Music boxsets which are spiraling up towards the $200 mark [i.e. Kiss Destroyer!!!!!!]
Dang, that's no good. Have you tried The Howling in your Sony?

Let us know what Mulholland Drive is like once you spin it up. Not sure if I need to see it again but might pick it up once it gets a NZ release.

... and now to check out Amazon prices + NZ dollar to see if I can get some delivered down here before Christmas!

Dang, that's no good. Have you tried The Howling in your Sony?

Let us know what Mulholland Drive is like once you spin it up. Not sure if I need to see it again but might pick it up once it gets a NZ release.

... and now to check out Amazon prices + NZ dollar to see if I can get some delivered down here before Christmas!

I should try hooking up the SONY 800 ....... cannot understand why it won't play. The OPPO 205 does have a few peculiarties when playing ONLY 4K discs and it is hooked up to WiFi and has ALL the latest firmware updates. The SONY, OTOH, has its own issues and will not output DOLBY VISION .... only HDR!

When I very recently watched the Criterion 1080p version of Mulholland Drive.....as good as it was I should think the Native UHD4K vision will knock it out of the ballpark. WE SHALL SEE!

Back