Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apocalypse Now rules. It just does. Redux is my favourite cut. Truly, movie magic. I've not given it a spin in about 2 years but am looking forward to cranking up the 4K to some ear-splitting volume on a hot summer night in the next few months. Not sure why it needs to be warm and summertime but find that it enhances the enjoyment.

The Plantation scene always seems weird to me. I remember way back in High School reading about Vietnam and the war and always thinking "that's weird there are French people there, why are there French people there?"

The Plantation scene always seems weird to me. I remember way back in High School reading about Vietnam and the war and always thinking "that's weird there are French people there, why are there French people there?"
That scene adds to the beaucoup surrealism for me and has some great dialogue:
"But here, we don't lose!"
"There are two of you, don't you see? One that kills and one that loves."

If you recall, the French also had their own conflict with the Vietnamese and withdrew after defeat which made the U.S. involvement in the region on the pretense of making the world 'safe for democracy' even MORE questionable.

$11 for a veritable 4k masterpiece? That's crazy cheap! One of the many things that bowled me over (again) was the impervious confidence and sheer bravado of Robert Duvall's character. It's like he's taking a casual stroll through a park and barely noticing the noise and distraction around him. I'm not sure I can think of another actor/character who's delivered that same level of bulletproof narcissism!

$11 for a veritable 4k masterpiece? That's crazy cheap! One of the many things that bowled me over (again) was the impervious confidence and sheer bravado of Robert Duvall's character. It's like he's taking a casual stroll through a park and barely noticing the noise and distraction around him. I'm not sure I can think of another actor/character who's delivered that same level of bulletproof narcissism!

During the Viet Nam conflict, Derek, I spent 2 years in the military and thankfully was kept stateside but truth be told, the brass who were in charge were literally looney tunes.

Marlon Brando's role as Colonel Kutrtz in AN and his descent into utter madness and Coppola's circus like approach to the Viet Nam Conflict {i.e. the multi colored lighting in the Playboy Bunny stage spectacle] only hinted at the shear futility of war and the evacuation of U.S. army personnel from Viet Nam was a TOTAL SHAM and never once was President Ford criticized for leaving behind thousands of orphaned children fathered by American soldiers. Contrast that with criticism of Biden's evacuation of Afghanistan ....... where literally over 200K were safely evacuated from a perilous region and he was ostracized. Wait until THAT movie is made!

War IS created in the minds of men ......... SAD, but TRUE!

• “God created war so that Americans would learn geography.” ― Mark Twain.

During the Viet Nam conflict, Derek, I spent 2 years in the military and thankfully was kept stateside but truth be told, the brass who were in charge were literally looney tunes.

Marlon Brando's role as Colonel Kutrtz in AN and his descent into utter madness and Coppola's circus like approach to the Viet Nam Conflict {i.e. the multi colored lighting in the Playboy Bunny stage spectacle] only hinted at the shear futility of war and the evacuation of U.S. army personnel from Viet Nam was a TOTAL SHAM and never once was President Ford criticized for leaving behind thousands of orphaned children fathered by American soldiers. Contrast that with criticism of Biden's evacuation of Afghanistan ....... where literally over 200K were safely evacuated from a perilous region and he was ostracized. Wait until THAT movie is made!

War IS created in the minds of men ......... SAD, but TRUE!

• “God created war so that Americans would learn geography.” ― Mark Twain.
Luv the quotes there!

I was born in '73 so everything about the Vietnam War only came to me by way of film or TV (including news footage and documentaries) well after it was over. But as you say, it seems it a right mess. Another thing that came to mind last night was that when Kurtz was talking about the enemy being prepared to do what the Americans would not (talking about chopping off the arms of people who received a polio vaccination from the US troops), it reminded me of Keyser Soze when he talked in The Usual Suspects about doing what his enemies could not. It seems Kurtz wanted a few divisions of soldiers with the mettle and fortitude of Keyser Soze!

A PREMIUM BOX of CHOCOLATES now available at a very nice price from AmazonUS: [$9.99]

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Forrest-Gump-4K-Blu-ray/238592/
81mWk5Nq4bL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
My LG OLED TV arrived yesterday, but not the one I originally ordered. It just so happens I was having difficulty scheduling delivery of the 55" C1 and so when I was increasingly hit by an incredibly strong sense of buyer's remorse that I'd gone for the wrong size, I cancelled my order while it was still with the courier and ordered the OLED48C14LB instead; the size of TV I'd decided upon when I first started looking at a replacement for my old Sony LCD. I went for this size for a number of reasons and I'm absolutely delighted/relieved to say I made the right call in going for the 48" option. Phew!

Other than confirming it was displaying content from the various sources, and having a quick faff around with its settings, I haven't watched anything yet as I had to go out last night; plus, between work and other plans, I might not get to watch anything until Sunday evening. But based on what I've seen so far, it's a real step up in picture quality from my old TV and I can't wait to take it for a test drive with an action-packed blockbuster :)

Paramount Presents HAROLD AND MAUDE [1080p/DTS~HD MA 5.1] Completely restored from the original negative, H & M has NEVER looked better. Saw it upon its release in a small art house in Port Washington, Long Island while a college student and was always a fan of its utter quirkiness. And that Cat Stevens score ..... ooh la la!

Bud Cort lived as a house guest for many years with his dear friend Groucho Marx. In 1979 Bud survived a near fatal car crash on the Hollywood Freeway. He continued working in film and theater and co-founded the LA Classic Theatre Works with, among others, Richard Dreyfuss and Rene Auberjonois.

https://www.theaterbyte.com/bluray-uhd-reviews/harold-and-maude-50th-anniversary-blu-ray-review.html
81Rg5Rmb-7L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
My LG OLED TV arrived yesterday, but not the one I originally ordered. It just so happens I was having difficulty scheduling delivery of the 55" C1 and so when I was increasingly hit by an incredibly strong sense of buyer's remorse that I'd gone for the wrong size, I cancelled my order while it was still with the courier and ordered the OLED48C14LB instead; the size of TV I'd decided upon when I first started looking at a replacement for my old Sony LCD. I went for this size for a number of reasons and I'm absolutely delighted/relieved to say I made the right call in going for the 48" option. Phew!

Other than confirming it was displaying content from the various sources, and having a quick faff around with its settings, I haven't watched anything yet as I had to go out last night; plus, between work and other plans, I might not get to watch anything until Sunday evening. But based on what I've seen so far, it's a real step up in picture quality from my old TV and I can't wait to take it for a test drive with an action-packed blockbuster :)

My only regret, Derek, is that ALL manufacturers ceased including 3D as an option on all their TVs after 2016. I purchased a 55" LG OLED TV which included 3D and all I can say is the 3D image is SPECTACULAR ...in some instances rivals UHD4K and IMO, is the BEST image I've ever encountered. My TV was ready to fly right out of the box and I've never had an occasion to do any tweaks. IMO, a 2 to 3 week break in period will yield a better image!

Good luck with your 48" LG OLED TV and VERY happy viewing!

Back