Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paramount Presents' very first Native UHD4K disc fails to dazzle. Read on:

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/1...yvalanceparamountpresents4kultrahdbluray.html
man-who-shot-liberty-valance-4k.jpg

[Native UHD4K/HDR10/Dolby Vision/Dolby True HD 5.1]

Last edited:
It's interesting that the reviews for Liberty Valance and Wild Things (Wild Things 4K Blu-ray (Limited Edition) both seem to put the 4K discs on a par (or below) the new Blu-ray versions. You would have thought for the extra money involved there would be a noticeable improvement with the 4K discs. Let's hope this isn't the beginning of a trend.

It's interesting that the reviews for Liberty Valance and Wild Things (Wild Things 4K Blu-ray (Limited Edition) both seem to put the 4K discs on a par (or below) the new Blu-ray versions. You would have thought for the extra money involved there would be a noticeable improvement with the 4K discs. Let's hope this isn't the beginning of a trend.

If you dig deeper into the 'confusing' 1080p versus the UHD4K upgrade, you will realize that in MOST instances, the UHD4K, especially if it's native [not upscaled 2K] and boasts HDR and Dolby Vision, the 4K disc is better. I've noticed that trend myself and in viewing the 4K on my LG OLED curved monitor, the 4K disc is ostensibly superior versus the blu ray in almost ALL instances!

And keep in mind, especially when Highdefdigest does frame comparisons, the 4K frames are NOT replicated in 4K but down rezed for publication. Very deceiving and really, I wish they'd stop the deceitful practice. At least blu~ray.com makes note of the down rezed frames in their reviews!

And also keep in mind that NOT all UHD4K discs are graced with HDR10 and Dolby Vision. Some contain neither and that is also usually noted in the review.

And as a side note: those with video projectors can deliver HDR10 but NOT dolby vision which is only accessible via flatscreen monitors. Perhaps that will change over time.

Last edited:
Speaking of Dolby Vision...

The Shining 4K:
1: I'm in the process of backing up all my movies to MKVs on multiple drives and recently purchased a Zidoo Z9X media player for this duty. The Zidoo can handle Dolby Vision which my Sony X800 can't so I'm now able to see DV and it's flippin' spectacular. Late to the party, I know but wow, it's awesome.
2. I was sitting out of the sweet spot for this viewing as some family had come round for a Friday the 13th horror but it's amazing how you still get a really good surround effect from all speakers.
3. Such a great flick. I hadn't seen it for a couple of years and although I think I've seen it over 20 times, it's still a gem.

Jaws 4K:
1. This was another 4K DV MKV I've watched recently with family and image/surround mix (for the time)/fidelity were all tip top. This was probably the first time I've seen Jaws where I've REALLY enjoyed the whole thing.

The Addiction (1995) BD: The Addiction
1. DTS-MA 5.1 isn't bad. It won't knock your socks off but there are discrete moments all around. There are also the odd pop and click from the surrounds which is never good but wasn't distracting and didn't monkey with the viewing experience.
2. 4K scan looked great. Well shot and acted. I'm not a big one for vampire flicks or Abel Ferrara, and while these are both, I found it an original entry into the vampire flick genre. I'd put it up there with the handful of vampire flicks that I actually like such as Nosferatu, Near Dark and The Hunger.
3. Interestingly, while MKVing the disc afterwards, There were some Abel interview outtakes that weren't accessible via the BD menu. After ~400 movie rips so far, this is the first time I've spotted something like this that's on the disc but isn't navigable via the disc menu.

Last edited:
Back