Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still haven't seen Apocalypse Now Redux... I know consensus is rare on these things but is that the preferred version these days? I picked up the 4K a while back but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.
Redux is my preferred version. Apocalypse Now is a rarity for me in that more is better.

I haven't watched the latest Final Cut despite having it on 4K. I've read about what Francis changed and can't say I'm that intrigued, especially considering how some of what is in Redux has been cut for the Final Cut.

I dig that short deleted scene "Monkey Sampan". If that was added to Redux, it'd make it even better for me!

Highdefdigest's review of GIANT

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/105387/giant4kultrahdbluray.html
giant-4k-ultrahd-bluray-review-banner.jpg

Last night I had the privilege of watching George Steven's Epic GIANT in Native UHD4K [HDR10/DTS~HD MA 2.0 MONO] and can report, IMO, it's a massive upgrade over Warner's 2013 3 disc 'digipak' although it omits ALL the extras included in that release with the exception of the vintage commentary!

Warner has afforded the 201 minute epic a BD100 triple layer disc which ensures the encoded bit rate is more than sufficient.

Although far from perfect, having seen the film in the 60's in a sub par showing, the color grading is much improved [it was shot in Warner's proprietary WARNERCOLOR] and although some shots are soft focused, the majority of the print is in pristine condition.

As for the MONO track and Dimitri Tiomkin's score, I would advise everyone to engage the ALL STEREO DSP mode on their receivers for a more immersive
listening experience.

For $18, well worth the upgrade except for the omission of bonus content on a separate BD~V.

And I did engage the English subtitles, as James Dean, who died in a tragic car accident prior to GIANT'S premier, mumbles incessantly but delivers a legendary performance...nonetheless!

R.1a3b3999a0a4343289d48114144d12e6
A companion piece streaming on the Criterion Channel.
Starring Miss Sandy Dennis, the pride of Lincoln, Nebraska, second-billed after Cher.

Come Back to the 5 & Dime Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean
Directed by Robert Altman • 1982 • United States
Starring Cher, Sandy Dennis, Karen Black
Twenty years after James Dean’s death, a group of former superfans in rural Texas—not far from where the movie star shot his final film, GIANT—gather in an old Woolworth’s five-and-dime store to celebrate his memory. Robert Altman’s visually inventive adaptation of Ed Graczyk’s play (which the filmmaker also directed on Broadway) uses two-way mirrors to achieve its striking flashback sequences and features a powerhouse cast led by Sandy Dennis, Cher, Kathy Bates, and Karen Black as a transgender woman whose presence stirs a reckoning with the past.

1656373397790.png

A companion piece streaming on the Criterion Channel.
Starring Miss Sandy Dennis, the pride of Lincoln, Nebraska, second-billed after Cher.

Come Back to the 5 & Dime Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean
Directed by Robert Altman • 1982 • United States
Starring Cher, Sandy Dennis, Karen Black
Twenty years after James Dean’s death, a group of former superfans in rural Texas—not far from where the movie star shot his final film, GIANT—gather in an old Woolworth’s five-and-dime store to celebrate his memory. Robert Altman’s visually inventive adaptation of Ed Graczyk’s play (which the filmmaker also directed on Broadway) uses two-way mirrors to achieve its striking flashback sequences and features a powerhouse cast led by Sandy Dennis, Cher, Kathy Bates, and Karen Black as a transgender woman whose presence stirs a reckoning with the past.

View attachment 80714

Although I'd MUCH PREFER Dean's stunning performance in John Steinbeck/Elia Kazan's CASSIC EAST of EDEN

R.4446c571bd35106e6d5dabd69fa7f75e

Or, REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE

R.e3401bf8a1ac54b9b7363d363fe5748d

A few more tidbits from the digitalbits website:

We’ve also learned that National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation is tentatively set to arrive on 4K UHD on 11/1. And we’re expecting Elf, The Polar Express, A Christmas Story, and the Casablanca: 80th Anniversary Edition to drop in 4K from WB in November as well.

Kino Lorber Studio Classics has just officially announced that they’re working on a new 4K Ultra HD release of John Frankenheimer’s The Train (1964). Consider that “coming soon” until we hear a final street date from the company.

Bram Stoker's Dracula (4K Ultra HD Steelbook)
The Train (4K Ultra HD)

New Steelbook Edition
with Dolby Vision

A few more tidbits from the digitalbits website:

We’ve also learned that National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation is tentatively set to arrive on 4K UHD on 11/1. And we’re expecting Elf, The Polar Express, A Christmas Story, and the Casablanca: 80th Anniversary Edition to drop in 4K from WB in November as well.

Kino Lorber Studio Classics has just officially announced that they’re working on a new 4K Ultra HD release of John Frankenheimer’s The Train (1964). Consider that “coming soon” until we hear a final street date from the company.

Bram Stoker's Dracula (4K Ultra HD Steelbook)'s Dracula (4K Ultra HD Steelbook)
The Train (4K Ultra HD)

New Steelbook Edition
with Dolby Vision
The Train is a gem!

I still haven't seen Apocalypse Now Redux... I know consensus is rare on these things but is that the preferred version these days? I picked up the 4K a while back but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.
I still consider the original cut as my preferred version. Redux added some interesting extras but also some that were superfluous and boring (extended French plantation) or downright silly and damaging to this incredible movie’s original spirit (surf board stealing shenanigans).

I still consider the original cut as my preferred version. Redux added some interesting extras but also some that were superfluous and boring (extended French plantation) or downright silly and damaging to this incredible movie’s original spirit (surf board stealing shenanigans).
I'll just have to check out both! Maybe I'll start with the original and check out Redux a few months from now.

I've seen the original and I think the early extended cut but haven't seen the last two cuts. Getting into Blade Runner territory here...

TRY IT, You'll LIKE IT. I know, I DID ..... A hidden gem from Francis Ford filmed in Buenos Aires...and Patagonia. Exquisitely filmed in Black and White with burnished color inserts replete with an immersive soundtrack in DTS~HD MA 5.1

Last edited:
Final Cut was a good compromise between the original and Redux in my opinion

Agreed. The redux cut turns a movie of steadily increasing intensity as they go up the river into a meandering surreal travelogue. Fortunately, Coppola has included both as options. The final cut is a bit of a compromise and might be the way to go, but I think you're better off seeing original, and if you love it and want more, try redux.

TRY IT, You'll LIKE IT. I know, I DID ..... A hidden gem from Francis Ford filmed in Buenos Aires...and Patagonia. Exquisitely filmed in Black and White with burnished color inserts replete with an immersive soundtrack in DTS~HD MA 5.1

I haven't seen this one so I grabbed a Coppola five film set which includes it and a couple others I haven't seen. Only $10 shipped from Gruv through Ebay and another 20% off if you add another disc so I threw in The Jerk. Thanks for the recommendation!

FAMILY PLOT, 1976, was Hitch's final film with a screenplay by the great Ernest Lehman adapted from the Victor Canning novel THE RAINBIRD PATTERN. Music score by John Williams.

What a spectacular Native UHD4K transfer from the Technicolor negative. Although one of Alfred's lesser films [after all he directed 53 films in his lifetime], it's nonetheless a worthy dark comedy for your consideration.

As with all MONO soundtracks, I engaged the ALL STEREO DSP mode on my receiver and William's beautiful score and all dialogue was clear as a bell.

Part of The Alfred Hitchcock Collection, Volume II [Native UHD4K] but now sold individually!

R.8028b4eece2b8e6bf6bb241675e64606

Last edited:
I haven't seen this one so I grabbed a Coppola five film set which includes it and a couple others I haven't seen. Only $10 shipped from Gruv through Ebay and another 20% off if you add another disc so I threw in The Jerk. Thanks for the recommendation!

WOW, what a deal! Hopefully, you won't be disappointed. I did find Coppola's film YOUTH WITHOUT YOUTH a disappointing watch but you might like it.

Tetro, IMO, is somewhat a return to form for Coppola although, of course, not on par with his earlier triumphs.

WOW, what a deal! Hopefully, you won't be disappointed. I did find Coppola's film YOUTH WITHOUT YOUTH a disappointing watch but you might like it.

Tetro, IMO, is somewhat a return to form for Coppola although, of course, not on par with his earlier triumphs.
Well, you said Coppola and B&W and I immediately thought of Rumble Fish which is one of my favorites so I had to check it out! I've been meaning to catch up on various director's lesser known films anyway.

Back