Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just recently picked up the 2012 Universal blu-ray which I believe has no problems with the 5.1 track. If I recall correctly some other Blu-ray releases had the 5.1 soundtrack playing at the wrong speed, could that be the cause of the sync issue?

I’ve never seen the movie but I plan to very soon.
I hope you dig the movie. I found it overrated the first few times I saw it but like a lot of the best, something kept drawing me back to it over the years and now it's one of my favourites. No spoilers but this may help moderate expectations (I wish it had been couched this way for me anyway): It's not really a war flick. It's a drama about a group of friends who experience war for a time. I've found it to be what Quentin Tarantino (and I'm no Tarantino fanboy) has referred to as a "hang-out" movie. You spin it up and hang out with the characters for 3 hours. Hope you dig it!

I think I have the same UK edition as you in the thick cardboard packaging with CD soundtrack? My 4K plays the surround mix fine with no audio sync issues on my Sony X800. Have you had a Google around, maybe also check Blu-ray.com's forum too, if there are others with the same problem? The original BD release of Twin Peaks S1/2/Fire Walk With Me had audio sync problems and there was an issue with frame rate messing things up so if your player can output with or without matching frame rate/resolution, that might be worth trying. Annoying to be sure though. You shouldn't have to monkey with it to get it to work.

Regarding the image, I find the 4K to look superb. My only minor gripe is that the HDR is a little dark in 1 scene (I won't say which as I don't want to ruin anything for bookofsaturdays) but it's easily adjusted by raising the black level a smidge. I've since MKV'd the 4K and am looking forward to watching it this spring (Deer Hunter season round my neck of the woods!) via my media player so I can see the Dolby Vision for the first time. I'll keep an eye out for audio sync issues when I do as I've found the Sony X800 can be a forgiving player whereas others aren't.
My copy is a 4k disc and two blu-rays, no cd. I wonder if mine is actually faulty, my better half seems to remember me taking it back to the shop to exchange then having the same problem again, which is when I decided to keep it, my tv doesn’t have dolby vision, it does have hdr10, I wont watch it again for a while so not a big deal. I wonder if it was so cheap because they knew it was a faulty batch, or am I being overly cynical?

I hope you dig the movie. I found it overrated the first few times I saw it but like a lot of the best, something kept drawing me back to it over the years and now it's one of my favourites. No spoilers but this may help moderate expectations (I wish it had been couched this way for me anyway): It's not really a war flick. It's a drama about a group of friends who experience war for a time. I've found it to be what Quentin Tarantino (and I'm no Tarantino fanboy) has referred to as a "hang-out" movie. You spin it up and hang out with the characters for 3 hours. Hope you dig it!
Thanks for this! It’s one of my dad’s favourite movies and he speaks very highly of it. I’m sure I will love it, I’m a huge DeNiro fan and really interested to see John Cazale’s final performance (I’ve seen the other 4 Oscar-nominated films).

Speaking of Tarantino Lionsgate announced yesterday that Reservoir Dogs is coming to 4K this November! We can finally retire the ancient 2007 Blu-ray with lossy audio!!!

My copy is a 4k disc and two blu-rays, no cd. I wonder if mine is actually faulty, my better half seems to remember me taking it back to the shop to exchange then having the same problem again, which is when I decided to keep it, my tv doesn’t have dolby vision, it does have hdr10, I wont watch it again for a while so not a big deal. I wonder if it was so cheap because they knew it was a faulty batch, or am I being overly cynical?
I'm leaning towards a faulty disc. I don't think you're being cynical either. Arrow haven't been too kind to customers who bought their Donnie Darko 4K Standard Edition which had the same stuttering/gigantic bitrate problem the Limited Edition suffered from - they wouldn't admit that these discs are also faulty (I see Madman have got the DD licence now so hopefully their 4K release won't contain the problem).

I'd recommend buying The Deer Hunter again on 4K if you can get a cheap one. There's been a US release since the original UK release so perhaps that might be worth a look? I'd Google the error too just in case it's possessed subsequent releases. Hope you get a good one next time!

Thanks for this! It’s one of my dad’s favourite movies and he speaks very highly of it. I’m sure I will love it, I’m a huge DeNiro fan and really interested to see John Cazale’s final performance (I’ve seen the other 4 Oscar-nominated films).

Speaking of Tarantino Lionsgate announced yesterday that Reservoir Dogs is coming to 4K this November! We can finally retire the ancient 2007 Blu-ray with lossy audio!!!
Johnny Cazale ruled: 2 Godfathers, The Conversation, Dog Day Afternoon, The Deer Hunter - my work here is done and I'm outta here!

Highdefdigest's MUST OWN review of Martin Scorsese's RAGING BULL [Native UHD4K/HDR10/DTS~HD MA 2.0 Surround]

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/105290/ragingbullcriterioncollection4kultrahdbluray.html
raging-bull-4k-ultrahd-bluray-criterion-collection-cover.jpg

Speaking of Tarantino's RESERVOIR DOGS, Lionsgate announced it will be released in Native UHD4K on November 15th! Cannot wait

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Reservoir-Dogs-4K-Blu-ray/321972/
Reservoir Dogs (4K Ultra HD)

Last edited:
I'm leaning towards a faulty disc. I don't think you're being cynical either. Arrow haven't been too kind to customers who bought their Donnie Darko 4K Standard Edition which had the same stuttering/gigantic bitrate problem the Limited Edition suffered from - they wouldn't admit that these discs are also faulty (I see Madman have got the DD licence now so hopefully their 4K release won't contain the problem).

I'd recommend buying The Deer Hunter again on 4K if you can get a cheap one. There's been a US release since the original UK release so perhaps that might be worth a look? I'd Google the error too just in case it's possessed subsequent releases. Hope you get a good one next time!
Bill, some of those 'issues' you addressed concerning the Theatrical Release of DD's UHD4K release from ARROW VIDEO are addressed in this blu~ray.com review, but I experienced NO SUCH ISSUES while viewing the Director's Cut via my OPPO 205:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Donnie-Darko-4K-Blu-ray/285248/#Review

Bill, some of those 'issues' you addressed concerning the Theatrical Release of DD's UHD4K release from ARROW VIDEO are addressed in this blu~ray.com review, but I experienced NO SUCH ISSUES while viewing the Director's Cut via my OPPO 205:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Donnie-Darko-4K-Blu-ray/285248/#Review
Yeah, the Limited Edition had problems on all players except Oppo and Sony with the Theatrical Cut 4K disc which Arrow replaced. The Director's Cut 4K disc played fine on all players.

The Theatrical Cut error affected the subsequent Standard Edition (I had 2 copies of this Standard Edition and while they played correctly on the Sony player, they didn't on others and MKVing it didn't fix the problem either). Arrow didn't acknowledge that the problem affected the Standard Edition too so it was pretty much too bad for customers who purchased the Standard Edition naively thinking that there's no way the same problem that affected the Limited Edition would be replicated in the Standard Edition.

I finally managed to get a corrected Limited Edition Theatrical Cut disc though so I'm good now!

Yeah, the Limited Edition had problems on all players except Oppo and Sony with the Theatrical Cut 4K disc which Arrow replaced. The Director's Cut 4K disc played fine on all players.

The Theatrical Cut error affected the subsequent Standard Edition (I had 2 copies of this Standard Edition and while they played correctly on the Sony player, they didn't on others and MKVing it didn't fix the problem either). Arrow didn't acknowledge that the problem affected the Standard Edition too so it was pretty much too bad for customers who purchased the Standard Edition naively thinking that there's no way the same problem that affected the Limited Edition would be replicated in the Standard Edition.

I finally managed to get a corrected Limited Edition Theatrical Cut disc though so I'm good now!
If the problem affected only the Director’s Cut I don’t think anyone would’ve cared 🤣

Now streaming on HULU in 4K/5.1 Joseph Heller's CATCH 22 a 6 part mini series [approximately 44 minutes each episode], produced by and featuring George Clooney and a fantastic Christopher Abbott as John Yossarian. Kyle Chandler and Hugh Laurie also star. Binge watched all 6 episodes in one evening and highly recommend it. Great discrete sound design and the period music and production design.....Excellent!

See the source image

R.c9dae447b39ed739b0a141107292cbdd

Last edited:
Now streaming on HULU in 4K/5.1 Joseph Heller's CATCH 22 a 6 part mini series [approximately 44 minutes each episode], produced by and featuring George Clooney and a fantastic Christopher Abbott as John Yossarian. Kyle Chandler and Hugh Laurie also star. Binge watched all 6 episodes in one evening and highly recommend it. Great discrete sound design and the period music and production design.....Excellent!

See the source image

R.c9dae447b39ed739b0a141107292cbdd

The paperback book was circulating around my high school in 1970 at the height of the Viet Nam war.
I was able to read it before the classic Mike Nichols film came out.
Made quite an impression.

The age-old problem, you can only cram so much of a dense novel into a two-hour Hollywood movie, but came out amazingly well.
I guess after 50 years it's due for a long-form mini-series with current actors.

31147021310.jpg

The paperback book was circulating around my high school in 1970 at the height of the Viet Nam war.
I was able to read it before the classic Mike Nichols film came out.
Made quite an impression.

The age-old problem, you can only cram so much of a dense novel into a two-hour Hollywood movie, but came out amazingly well.
I guess after 50 years it's due for a long-form mini-series with current actors.

31147021310.jpg
If you have HULU, Dave, would love your input regarding this re~telling of the Joseph Heller classic! I certainly thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Beta Test (2021) BD:

1. DTS-MA 5.1 on this is pretty good. Some moments of low end rumbles and the surround action comes and goes but really, I had a hard time paying too much attention to it because...

2. The script is dense (jam-packed, not stupid) and it rips along at a blistering pace similar to Jim Cummings' other flicks but more so.

3. I got this one: Amazon.com: Beta Test, The : Jim Cummings|PJ McCabe|Virginia Newcomb|Kevin Changaris, Jim Cummings|PJ McCabe: Movies & TV and am looking forward to spinning it up again. It'll benefit from a subsequent viewing or 2. Lots going on and it's an enjoyable, fast-paced ride that doesn't let up with moments of horror and I even laughed out loud a few times which is a rarity (especially with modern movies where you can see the unfunny "joke" coming a mile off).

The Beta Test (2021) BD:

1. DTS-MA 5.1 on this is pretty good. Some moments of low end rumbles and the surround action comes and goes but really, I had a hard time paying too much attention to it because...

2. The script is dense (jam-packed, not stupid) and it rips along at a blistering pace similar to Jim Cummings' other flicks but more so.

3. I got this one: Amazon.com: Beta Test, The : Jim Cummings|PJ McCabe|Virginia Newcomb|Kevin Changaris, Jim Cummings|PJ McCabe: Movies & TV and am looking forward to spinning it up again. It'll benefit from a subsequent viewing or 2. Lots going on and it's an enjoyable, fast-paced ride that doesn't let up with moments of horror and I even laughed out loud a few times which is a rarity (especially with modern movies where you can see the unfunny "joke" coming a mile off).
I definitely have to watch it again, Bill, as well. A departure from Cumming's usual fare but his flair for neuroticism was intact!

Cannot wait to see what he does next!

See the source image

Last edited:
I definitely have to watch it again, Bill, as well. A departure from Cumming's usual fare but his flair for neuroticism was intact!

Cannot wait to see what he does next!

See the source image
I'm Pete. Bill's my dad - good guess though!

Yes, Jim Cummings is 3 for 3. Up there with Moorhead and Benson for recent-generation-of-great-filmmakers.

Back