Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So WHO is TIMOTHY?

I'm Ralph and my dad's RALPH, as well [now deceased!

And Cummings is definitely 3 for 3, Pete!
Timothy Emerson was frequently in trouble with the law around my neck of the woods when I worked at the local courthouse a few decades ago. Something about the name stuck in my head and was called up for duty when I signed up to QQ!

Saw another winner from Jordan Peele yesterday!
D098135C-03E2-4BA4-AA53-7739434F767A_1_105_c.jpeg

I hadn't seen a movie in the theatre in ages! Glad i made it to this one–reminds me of the blockbusters of my youth. Great fun and an amazing and engaging sound design! Makes me want to set up Atmos at home!

Last edited:
Now streaming on AMAZON PRIME, Vittorio De Sica's 1971 Academy Award winning [BEST Foreign Film] THE GARDEN OF THE FINZI~CONTINIS. Saw it at an Art House upon release and highly recommend it. Rotten 🍅 Tomato Score: 100%

R.9af96ec9b057b0df5efbe097b515ca23

Last edited:
The Silence of the Lambs (1991) 4K:

1. DTS-MA 5.1 ain't nothing to write home about in terms of discrete surround activity. It's like they just clicked the "make 5.1" button from a stereo mix but at least everything you need to hear is clear and there are some decent low end moments.

2. According to blu-ray.com, the first ~20 minutes has colour problems (a greenish hue) but unless I'd read it first, I would have just thought that those early scenes just had dimmer lighting so it's definitely not a show-stopper. The whole movie is pretty overcast and dreary so it's not a biggie. Annoying how yet another release was made without being checked properly though.

3. The 4K with Dolby Vision looks superb. Colours are great.

4. I still find this a fun watch. Great performances from Jodie, Anthony and Ted.

5. Pretty cheap at the mo: Silence of the Lambs (30th Anniversary)

NOW streaming on Amazon Prime and available on BD~V, author Dean Koontz's ODD THOMAS starring an amazing Anton Yelchin in the title role. Have been putting off watching this for a long time but so glad I finally did. Lots of twists and turns, an immersive 5.1 soundtrack and wonderful performances all around make this a fun watch....with some admittedly tense moments!

91KhYt6SHgL._SL1500_.jpg

I was jonesing for some Wes Anderson animation, and this was only $4 at a used media store, so . . .
1660684446165.png
Wes Anderson
Isle of Dogs
I held off on getting this one because a Criterion edition seems inevitable, but i figured i couldn't go wrong for $4–i was right! The movie looks great: the colors pop and i found myself wanting to pause the film multiple times just to soak in Anderson's mise en scene. The DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 mix is also wonderful, making great use of the surrounds for sound effects during action scenes and even those quiet, contemplative moments on Trash Island. Until Criterion comes through with, perhaps, a 4K transfer and an Atmos upgrade, i'm going to be returning to this gem many times. Highly recommended!

Blu-ray.com Review
High-Def Digest Review

Last edited:
Criterion's November titles announced:
Coming this month: the most defiant provocation of the Czechoslovak New Wave, a psychologically piercing revisionist western, a gripping saga of two rival moles in Hong Kong’s criminal underworld, and a visionary monument to an iconic civil rights leader. Plus: an upgrade for Wong Kar Wai’s ravishing evocation of romantic longing.
https://www.criterion.com/shop/browse?popular=coming-soonI'm excited about the 4K editions of The Power of the Dog and, especially, Malcolm X
1660755097579.png
1660755132177.png

Last edited:
I was jonesing for some Wes Anderson animation, and this was only $4 at a used media store, so . . .
Wes Anderson
Isle of Dogs
I held off on getting this one because a Criterion edition seems inevitable, but i figured i couldn't go wrong for $4–i was right! The movie looks great: the colors pop and i found myself wanting to pause the film multiple times just to soak in Anderson's mise en scene. The DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 mix is also wonderful, making great use of the surrounds for sound effects during action scenes and even those quiet, contemplative moments on Trash Island. Until Criterion comes through with, perhaps, a 4K transfer and an Atmos upgrade, i'm going to be returning to this gem many times. Highly recommended!

Blu-ray.com Review
High-Def Digest Review

It's only $8 new, so I am considering it. One question, do the dogs suffer and/or have bad things happen to them? I know they are clay-mation dogs and not real dogs but still, I can't watch bad things happen to dogs and enjoy it. One of my major character flaws is that I can watch any movie where bad things happen to humans, but I can't watch dogs suffer and come away with a positive movie experience.

It's only $8 new, so I am considering it. One question, do the dogs suffer and/or have bad things happen to them? I know they are clay-mation dogs and not real dogs but still, I can't watch bad things happen to dogs and enjoy it. One of my major character flaws is that I can watch any movie where bad things happen to humans, but I can't watch dogs suffer and come away with a positive movie experience.
The movie is ultimately uplifting. Having said that, the dogs do go through some rough times (fights, deprivation, exile) and a place is depicted where dogs were once experimented on. Reading the reviews i linked might give you a good idea of what to expect. The film is rated PG-13. The trailer might also help:

The movie is ultimately uplifting. Having said that, the dogs do go through some rough times (fights, deprivation, exile) and a place is depicted where dogs were once experimented on. Reading the reviews i linked might give you a good idea of what to expect. The film is rated PG-13. The trailer might also help:

Been a while since I watched this one, from what I remember it’s far from my favourite Wes Anderson film, but the animation is gorgeous.

Love this movie, I even got it on BluRay, GORGEOUS!!

Back