Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never thought I would see the day where Criterion (finally! FINALLY!) moves towards embracing animation, and let alone with modern classics. LET ALONE A PIXAR FILM! This is a massive massive title here, the implications for the future is huge, especially with Disney and Criterion Partnerships!

Think of how many genuine classics are languishing in Disney's vaults!

Will absolutely snag to show support!
Obviously the disc will look (and sound) better, but if you want to get a sneak peak of the Atmos and Dolby Vision remaster, it is on Disney+ along with... all other Pixar movies, as they gave them all a pass a while ago. (Also the National Treasure movies? What! I gotta revisit those)

The Criterion page does mention it's a "4K Digital Master", so it's likely from the same source as the D+ version

I never thought I would see the day where Criterion (finally! FINALLY!) moves towards embracing animation, and let alone with modern classics. LET ALONE A PIXAR FILM! This is a massive massive title here, the implications for the future is huge, especially with Disney and Criterion Partnerships!

Think of how many genuine classics are languishing in Disney's vaults!

Will absolutely snag to show support!
Obviously the disc will look (and sound) better, but if you want to get a sneak peak of the Atmos and Dolby Vision remaster, it is on Disney+ along with... all other Pixar movies, as they gave them all a pass a while ago. (Also the National Treasure movies? What! I gotta revisit those)
They have a few classic animation releases but you are spot on about nothing in the way of new animation

But a Pixar/Disney film being released as a Criterion 4k ... yowza that was a shocker and hopefully a sign of things to come.

From SONY snd director Martha Coolidge REAL GENIUS [Native UHD4K/HDR10/Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos] Two Cuts

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Real-Genius-4K-Blu-ray/318418/#Review
81Io3Ui-umL._SL1500_.jpg

Coming October 4th from Music Box Films and acclaimed Spanish Director JULIO MEDEM the erotically charged SEX AND LUCIA for the first time in an UNRATED DIRECTOR'S CUT with the exquisite Paz Vega [1080p/DTS~HD MA 5.1] VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Sex and Lucía

\

Last edited:
COMING in time for Christmas [November 1st] in Native UHD4K [HDR10/DTS~HD MA 5.1] 🐿️🎄

81MTt8-PwJL._SL1500_.jpg

AND ALSO COMING NOVEMBER 1st [Native UHD4K/HDR10/DTS~HD MA MONO]. RALPHIE FINALLY GETS HIS DUE!

71vh6eMaFCL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Would love to get this one but $35 is a steep asking price. The price for most discs in my small but excellent 4K collection is about $15. Maybe there will be a future Barnes & Noble Criterion sale that will make it a more reasonable purchase.
B&N's half price semi annual sale will reduce the price, at best, to $25!

Star Trek - The Motion Picture (1979) 4K:

1. I got this latest bare bones release (1 4K disc, no extras): Star Trek: The Motion Picture

2. 4K image with Dolby Vision is superb all round.

3. New Atmos (in 5.1 at my place) fidelity is crystal clear, punchy couch-rumbling lows, surround mix is pretty constant with discrete moments, particularly in the score.

4. New special effects all look great except that early scene where Kirk's shuttle lands in San Francisco still looks like someone drew it with coloured pencils. Oh well.

5. Probably my favourite Trek flick. Well worth the purchase. I also got the Voyage Home but haven't spun that one yet.

ARRIVING October 11th from Criterion, the native UHD4K release of LOST HIGHWAY personally supervised by Director David Lynch [HDR10/Dolby Vision/DTS~HD MA 5.1] In blu~ray.com's excellent review they do compare this new release to Kino Lorber's excellent 2019 BD~V release so if you own that release {I do and it is excellent] be sure to read on!

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Lost-Highway-4K-Blu-ray/314774/#Review
71RpQnqYseL._SL1500_.jpg

Back