Finding DTS music on movie releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

krnewman

One thing I've been doing lately is dubbing some of the musical soundtracks from films in DTS downmixed to 4 channel reel or cassette. There's some reasonably decent stuff out there. I thought I'd pass on some of the things I like and maybe warn you of some that aren't worth it.

But first, a stupid question: is there any way to simply take an edited chunk of the dts track off of the DVD and burn it onto CD? I'm not suggesting bootlegging. But say you bought the DVD of "O Brother, Where Art Thou?", which is a fine movie, anyway and sometimes you just wanted to hear the music? Personally, I prefer listening to the stuff I've edited out onto 4 channel reel to the soundtrack CD you can buy. But even more than the reel I've dubbed, I would prefer just to edit the bits from the dts soundtrack on the DVD and copy onto a cd that I could then decode in dts for listening, rather than hearing the dub. The 5.1 channels is nicer, plus no tape hiss. But it's a pain in the butt to use the DVD. The edited mix I have is nice, especially with bits of dialogue. Is there a way I can do what I want to do?

1. Obviously I like the dts music from "O B W A T?", especially the tune "Oh Death" with the klan marchers doing a Busby Berkely routine. The whole thing is good and I like the bits of dialogue that come just before the musical pieces.

2. Kid's movies:
a. Emperor's New Clothes. Not a great dts mix as movies go, but the theme song is sung by Tom Jones, is a raucous mambo, and it has some nice punchy horns in the rear channel. And my son loves it. However, at the end credits, there is a song in dts by Sting but it's a washout as surround. It just has Stings voice with some cheesy reverb on it in the rear channels, reminiscent of those crappy old stimulated stereo records withh the cheesy reverb in the right channel. And it's not a particularly good song, either.
b. Dinosaur. Has a really nice dts soundtrack throughout the whole movie. But the movie is not a great one. Great visual effects, but a cheesy politically correct story line; apparently long before human beings even evolved middle aged white guys were despicable and the only good people are young or women or black. The end credits, which are quite long, about 10 minutes, has a nice medley of themes from the movie. Makes a real nice film-music type piece to listen to.
c. Snow Dogs. Kind of a fun if silly movie, but the dts soundtrack is a washout. Basically nothing going on at all. Not worth setting it up for dts decode.
d. Road to El Dorado. Nice movie (though why the Aztec princess sounds like she's a Puerto Rican from New York is beyond me, unless it's just some more misguided diversity driven political correctness) but the dts stuff just isn't happening. The theme song is nice and would have been great if it was a surround mix, but alas, this is surround in name only.
e. Fantasia 2000. The music from this should be released as a dts cd. It's a fair pop classics collection, but the movie has some really stupid monologue crap that desperately needs to be edited out. I prefer my classical music without Bette Midler or Steve Martin or Penn & Teller, all of whom are bozos. The animation stuff is really good, of course.

3. Gladiator. The dts effects are better than the movie itself. I especially like the opening battle sequence, which I just listen to. Not much music to it, but very evocative sound effects and dialogue. However, you can't really edit out much music from the film, and the music is all really film-music type music.

4. The Contender. Has a short version of "Burning Ring of Fire" that sounds good in surround at the beginning. And then nothing til the end credits, which has some nice somber Americana film music type music. Nice and long. The movie is ok, if a bit of another politically correct cynical manipulation (boy, Hollywood does that a lot, eh?). The bad guy is the best part.

5. Caveman's Valentine. Terrible movie, not worth seeing except in dts, as the dts soundtrack is excellently done. Has some sorta pretention classical music/jazz mixed with neat sound effects. I edited out about 10 minutes of decent stuff from this. It's a really really good dts implementation in cinema but a tragedy that the movie is so bad.

6. Red Violin. I didn't like either the movie or the soundtrack and given that it has Greta Scacchi's naked breasts, probably two of the finest breasts the world has ever known, and I still didn't like the movie, you get the idea. And the dts implementation is pretty lame.

7. Some more not worth wasting time dealing with for dts: Kapex (that Kevin Spacey movie), Vanilla Sky, Arificial Intelligence (plus it's an atrociously bad movie). Plus a bunch I've watched and forgotten.

8. Some good dts implementations: Moulin Rouge (but I couldn't see any way to edit anything to reel - warning it's a really weird movie), Jurassic Park III (again no real music to edit from it, but nice dts implementation, not great, but OK).

Ken,

You can rip the audio track to your hard drive, then take it from there. If you have Soft Encode, you can decode the AC-3 Dolby Digital track, but I know of nothing that will decode the DTS track. Even so, you can get great results with the AC-3 track. Members here have done "Yellow Submarine" and some music DVDs, I have done it with THE WALL and a few others.

If you need the steps, let me know. "laserguy" helped me through the process, and I have documented the steps that he gave me.

:-jon

Use Vobrator 0.2. It can demux the vobs and at this procedure it can create dts-wav for directly burning it like a normal wave.
the thing i search at the moment is to find a program that can edit the produced dts-wav.

Hope it helps.

You could go the long way and recordthe d.t.s. output to a multi-channel sound card and then go the encode route to d.t.s - takes awhile but you can edit and all the way you want to!
Rob

Ironic how DVD-V's often contain better-quality music tracks than the soundtrack CD they're hoping you'll buy, but that's the Through The Looking Glass reality of today's upside-down music biz.

Bridget Jones' Diary DVD includes a couple of music videos of cuts from the film, including "Out of Reach". The music video is two-channel stereo, but the cut used in the film is 5.1 surround. Unfortunately, it's only a minute or so.

Anyone else found any hidden true surround mixes on DVD's not available elsewhere?

I've seen it just today on a store, with a sticker "remixed in 5.1". Unfortunately it was closing time... but this can be a title to check out.
BTW, no dts sign on front cover, so it can be DD only.

Blues Brothers!!!

Even if it's just DD, the 5.1 remix is excellent. I have already converted it in dts format, and it has been quite a task, but the result was worthy.

What is so weird about Moulin Rouge? Ive not seen the movie... but if you think the soundtrack is good and the 5.1 mix ok, i can think about a conversion.

Gladiator: Best movie soundtrack I ever bought. Lisa Gerrard's voice has been better describe elsewhere than I could, but suffice it to say she's incredible. That and it's an incredibly clear normal cd. imo.

Back