Quad LP/Tape Poll Firesign Theatre: I Think We're All Bozos On This Bus [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Bozos"

• 10: Tops!

Votes: 3 60.0%

Votes: 1 20.0%

Votes: 1 20.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 So-So

• 1 Utterly sux

• Total voters
These guys should have started some kind of 'Bozo' fan club. Needless to say--being insane like they are/were--I'd have been a charter member in good (or is that bad?) standing, heh....

BTW, in honor of Quad Kitty, if you click on the first icon in my sig there is a tribute to sorts done by my friend Joel Veitch many years ago, but he was forced to take this particular one off his site because someone at WEA or the Zep camp bitched about it. But it's still out there, hosted separately and privately out of the reach of such, um, bozos....:)

ED :)

"You know my mom always used to say 'you gotta start young if you're going to stick it out.' Gotta start young if you're gonna stick it out! [laughter] Poor kid...."

My closest circle of friends are diehard FS fans; my best friend and I ended up living 20 miles apart before we had our drivers licenses and we would pretty much recite this entire album over the phone. To this day, Firesign Theatre groups on Facebook provide almost daily opportunities to 'drop this great load of knowledge on" for those fans who can most appreciate it. ("I said live it, or live with it") This album is a fan favorite and a fully realized project that capitalizes on the comedy group's strengths.

The amazing specifics afforded to the quad version playback experience is naturally the 360 sound field placement of dialog and sound effects and panning tricks that this endlessly inventive 1971 album deserves. I've always been impressed with the clear blue clarity of the little details waiting to be discovered. My old Panasonic quad system had the joystick balance that made it easy to check out what's happening in the "other" channels that were not the focus of delivery. Some favorites include "not now Sheldon", a kitchen blender running full blast, missing "dialog" like the singing "honk, honk, honk, honk-honk-honk" followed by the more obvious "hey kid come over here" funway dialog. Even the muzak playing when they first get on the bus is nicely isolated.

A DTS disc of the quad version makes it easy to revisit; an authored DVD-A or BD presentation with graphics would be great to have one day. Consider that a celestial hint to the project minded out there. Hey Phil.....!

Columbia has some pretty fine and fitting quad mixes, and this one is one of their better efforts. Given this comedy was a studio creation to begin with (most comedy recordings are live, after all), they put in a lot of little stuff which as you note, is well isolated here. They were perfect for quad, and I give this one a '9' only because, had their second album been issued in quad, it would certainly have been a '10' for sound and content. This one's mighty good, not to be missed.

ED :)

I love both the Firesign quads, a 10.

I ordered this one late last night on eBay. I'll have to see what some of the surround settings on my Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver think of it. Or I'll try it in the digital domain. I liked this album a lot but it never was in the top rank of Firesign albums for me due to its somewhat plotless structure.

Last edited:
Album is in VG shape. I'm astounded at the amount of rear channel separation and effects I'm getting. Lots of front-to-rear movement and 360° panning. This is awesome! Using Dolby Pro Logic II.

Now to drag out some of my other Quad albums. Uh, Clem.

Back