First 2 Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACDs Announced - Supersession and Breezin'

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a very strange quad mix of season of the witch, where they forget to turn off an an alternate lead vocal

I wonder if that's the same version I heard 40 or so years back as part of a quad FM demo (two stations, one broadcasting the front, the other the rear). Decades later I got the SQ LP and assumed it would have the same vocals, but no...

It's funny how all these years later that's literally the ONLY thing I remember about that test broadcast!

I wonder if that's the same version I heard 40 or so years back as part of a quad FM demo (two stations, one broadcasting the front, the other the rear). Decades later I got the SQ LP and assumed it would have the same vocals, but no...

It's funny how all these years later that's literally the ONLY thing I remember about that test broadcast!

I remember those text Discrete Quad Broadcasts as well. K-101 in San Francisco and an FM Station in Sacramento. The tracks I remember include the "Paint Your Wagon" theme and several Mystic Moods cuts in Discrete Quad - before the Mystic Moods came out on Quad Reel and CD-4 disc.

I remember those text Discrete Quad Broadcasts as well. K-101 in San Francisco and an FM Station in Sacramento.

I was thinking it was KZAP + KSFM in Sacramento and K-101 + K??? (KSAN, maybe?) in San Francisco.

The tracks I remember include the "Paint Your Wagon" theme

Now that kinda rings a bell, too...

Man, would I love a nice recording of that broadcast!

I was thinking it was KZAP + KSFM in Sacramento and K-101 + K??? (KSAN, maybe?) in San Francisco.

Now that kinda rings a bell, too...

Man, would I love a nice recording of that broadcast!

I think Tad (QuadTrade) had a recording of one of those Quad Broadcasts but sold it. Not sure who has it now.
Agreed - would love to get a copy!

For those who want to know more about Bloomfield, check out the Michael Bloomfield Story (in 10 parts). Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJa8KIF1A24

Besides Kooper, people he played with or played with him include: Dylan, Paul Butterfield, Muddy Waters, Janis Joplin, John Hammond, Howlin' Wolf, Buddy Miles, Jefferson Airplane, Barry Goldberg, Yank Rachell, Little Brother Montgomery, Nick Gravenites, Taj Mahal, Mother Earth, Johnny Winter, Junior Wells, Woody Herman, Otis Spann, Harvey Brooks, Dr. John, Lightnin' Hopkins, Big Joe Williams, Rick Grech, Sleepy John Estes, Sam Lay, Harvey Mandel, Beaver & Krause, Elvin Bishop, Mitch Ryder, Moby Grape, Carmine Appice, Brewer & Shipley, and Sunnyland Slim.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Bloomfield
He was NOT the astronaut, also named Michael Bloomfield, who flew on three space shuttle missions.

Bloomfield & Butterfield were pals of my friend Al, who was on faculty at University of Chicago, although I never met them.

I'M STILL WAITING ON MY SACD OF SUPPER SESSION!

Both of the Audio Fidelity 5.1 SACDs are now on the Acoustic Sounds Best Selling charts for SACDs.
Breezin' checks in at #5 while Super Session is #8.

Top 10 SACDs - Sept 9 2014 - 450.jpg
http://store.acousticsounds.com/cat/4/SACD

Super Session showed up via UPS. Joe said he was expecting something else and "he'll be back in two minutes." He was right.

I loved Kooper's new notes. The Bloomfield documentary corroborates a couple of the sordid details.

I'm listening to Super Session now. It sounds terrific, particularly for 1968. Kooper's mix is inventive and very effective IMO. Good stuff. If the BS&T disc sounds this good we'll be in for a real treat.

I'm listening to Super Session now. It sounds terrific, particularly for 1968. Kooper's mix is inventive and very effective IMO. Good stuff. If the BS&T disc sounds this good we'll be in for a real treat.

Kooper did a great job on the mix. His new liner notes say that the goal was to use 5.1 to feature the instruments and performances on the album. I think he succeeded!

Amazon.com holding steady at $31+ on Breezin' SACD while importcds is now asking $21.99 under the Amazon imprint!

I've had very good experience with buying SACDs from Import CDs. I'd recommend them, especially at that price!

Musicdirect have just announced the following (MFSL) titles:

Carly Simon – Hotcakes
Carly Simon – Anticipation
Carly Simon – No Secrets
Carly Simon – Carly Simon
The Cars – The Cars
The Cars – Heartbeat City

So that (I guess) significantly reduces the chances of seeing the Carly Simon Quad mixes or The Cars (Self titled) being released by Audio Fidelity with Surround. :(

Back