First 2 Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACDs Announced - Supersession and Breezin'

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I definitely prefer 5.1 to 4.0, but if the position they're going to take with some of these releases is, 'we can't do a new 5.1 mix, but we can reissue the old quad release', then I will definitely take it. Some of the quad reissues from recent years have reminded me how good they can sound, and how much I liked them before. Some examples:

Gentle Giant - Free Hand (DTS 4.1)
Gentle Giant - in'terview (DTS 4.1)
Electric Light Orchestra (DTS 4.1)
Chicago Transit Authority (DTS 4.0)(mistakenly marked on the packaging as a DVD-Audio)

I certainly wish that these were all DVD-A, but the basic fact is they all sound excellent. If there were more quad releases, I would certainly snap them up whether they're SACD or DVD. If they're albums that I like, that is...

I'd love anything from ELO, especially Zoom.

It's not a rigged example at all, the 5.1 mix was done by James Guthrie, who's been working with Pink Floyd since at least the time of The Wall in the late 70's, not some fly-by-night nobody. There are lots of albums where the quad mix bests newer 5.1 mixes, and lots of newer 5.1 mixes that blow all the previous mixes out of the water. Scott is right, you can't automatically assume a mix is better because it's newer.
I said it was rigged (and I was trying to be light-hearted about it) because the 5.1 mix was not well received in comparison to the Parson mix. So with Scott's example I felt that the quad mix would be the automatic choice.

I said it was rigged (and I was trying to be light-hearted about it) because the 5.1 mix was not well received in comparison to the Parson mix. So with Scott's example I felt that the quad mix would be the automatic choice.

Of course it depends on who you talk to. The band members wanted changes to the Parsons 4.0 Quad mix so they hired another producer/engineer to "fix" the 4.0 version when the 5.1 SACD release was being created.

Hey that's a rigged example. That 5.1 mix was done by...what's his name?...ah who cares. The quad was done by Alan Parsons. Ever heard A Valid Path? Outstanding.

Ha! It was genuinely the first example that popped into my head of a popular album with both quad and 5.1 mixes available for comparison. I love having both mixes to immerse myself in and enjoy them both. The quad mix has an excellent phantom center. I feel the same about Wish You Were Here's quad and 5.1 mixes.

I'm of the belief that the center speaker is not required for a good surround music experience. I just listened to The Best of Aretha quad mix for the first time and it brought tears of joy to my eyes. Aretha's voice is rock solid and sweet in the phantom center (or everywhere sometimes) and all the instruments speak clearly around the room. Wow! I was totally slayed by the music/mix. It was the best I've ever heard this music! If someone can beat Tom Dowd's primitive, 40 year old quad mix with modern technology, ideas etc... in a 5.1 mix I will be in heaven... but I suspect I'll remain earthbound.

I'd never heard of Parson's The Valid Path, but I've done some research now and will definitely buy it if I can find it at a reasonable price. Thanks for the tip.

Ha! It was genuinely the first example that popped into my head of a popular album with both quad and 5.1 mixes available for comparison. I love having both mixes to immerse myself in and enjoy them both. The quad mix has an excellent phantom center. I feel the same about Wish You Were Here's quad and 5.1 mixes.

I'm of the belief that the center speaker is not required for a good surround music experience. I just listened to The Best of Aretha quad mix for the first time and it brought tears of joy to my eyes. Aretha's voice is rock solid and sweet in the phantom center (or everywhere sometimes) and all the instruments speak clearly around the room. Wow! I was totally slayed by the music/mix. It was the best I've ever heard this music! If someone can beat Tom Dowd's primitive, 40 year old quad mix with modern technology, ideas etc... in a 5.1 mix I will be in heaven... but I suspect I'll remain earthbound.

I'd never heard of Parson's The Valid Path, but I've done some research now and will definitely buy it if I can find it at a reasonable price. Thanks for the tip.

I bought Valid Path for $21 a year ago and here are some reasonably priced ones here

I bought Valid Path for $21 a year ago and here are some reasonably priced ones here

Thanks Clint. When shipping to Canada is added on, it totals $41 so I'm hoping to luck into a more affordable source in the future. I just read a number of mixed reviews about the music (the quality of the mix was never questioned) so I'm guessing I'll really just be digging a few tracks... like the first number with DG on guitar. I'll be happy to discover I love it all but I'd prefer to put a lower wager on that bet. (For instance, I like, but don't love On Air.) Cheers!

Thanks Clint. When shipping to Canada is added on, it totals $41 so I'm hoping to luck into a more affordable source in the future. I just read a number of mixed reviews about the music (the quality of the mix was never questioned) so I'm guessing I'll really just be digging a few tracks... like the first number with DG on guitar. I'll be happy to discover I love it all but I'd prefer to put a lower wager on that bet. (For instance, I like, but don't love On Air.) Cheers!

I was going to mention the content in my initial post; I really only liked a few songs.

FYI, the release date for the 5.1 SACDs from Audio Fidelity - Super Session and Breezin' - has been changed to August 19, 2014 according to Amazon.Com and Acoustic Sounds.Com

If changing 4.0 to 5.1 is cost prohibitive then I'll be glad to have the original 4.0 which would be much better than 0.0.
phil

I know that Audio Fidelity is looking at several Multichannel possibilities with 4.0 mixes. They also wonder about the concept of changing the original 4.0 mix to 5.1 now vs. delivering it in 4.0 - as the artist and producer intended.

dts entertainment did that with some of theirs. Should be interesting to see the next two title announcements.

I know that Audio Fidelity is looking at several Multichannel possibilities with 4.0 mixes. They also wonder about the concept of changing the original 4.0 mix to 5.1 now vs. delivering it in 4.0 - as the artist and producer intended.
or that's all that was possible at that time. Personally I'd like my center and sub to be put to use.

dts entertainment did that with some of theirs. Should be interesting to see the next two title announcements.

Of course DTS Entertainment had an advantage with the Mobile Fidelity titles. Brad Miller was the original producer/engineer as well as the guy who started the DTS Entertainment 4.0 and 5.1 music DTS CDs!
Much easier to get the artist and engineer clearances for a 4.0 to 5.1 mix when the producer/engineer and person wanting to make the change is the same guy! :)

or that's all that was possible at that time. Personally I'd like my center and sub to be put to use.

Like they did on The Moody Blues SACDs? No Thanks...

I'd prefer to leave it as is...

Use your bass management if you want/need to use your sub....

I'd have no problem with 4.0 but 4.1 may be an option as they should be able to copy the LF from the original quad to the sub channel without affecting the surround mix. This would allow smaller 5.1 systems to reproduce the original quad with bass ok.

Smaller 5.1 systems should be able to send the lows to the sub anyway if the receiver has a sub-out jack and half way decent bass management. And the smaller 5.1 receiver could be adjusted on the fly so you get the right crossover point instead of having to re-burn the the disc every time you play it on a different system. I really don't understand why the LFE channel is necessary on an audio disc.

Looks like no multi-channel for the September release.

Attachments

• newrelease.jpg
    newrelease.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 303
Looks like no multi-channel for the September release.

"In The Wind" by Peter, Paul & Mary on SACD has been pending from Audio Fidelity for some time. Glad to see it get a release date.

We will undoubtedly see AF release Stereo SACDs along with Multichannel + Stereo SACDs in the months ahead.
It's up to them, of course, how that works in their release schedule. Since the first two 5.1 SACDs were for August and then two Stereo SACDs in September, looks like two at a time is their approach.

That blurb for the Butterfield album is hilarious, since it claims 'This is the first album that was dedicated to the blues,' which will be news to all those bluesmen who had albums released before that one. If they meant, 'The first blues album with white guys in the band to chart, well, they *might* be right on that one. Then there's 'Alvin Bishop,' presumably Elvin's nicer twin (or something). Yikes! If they did that in the accompanying booklet they'll be all over it at SH.tv....

Obviously, IN THE WIND can use the upgrade, though we can be sure it'll be stereo only (meaning that the mono mix would have been nice to have). Same with the Butterfield album, though Elektra's original mastering of that one was pretty good, IMO.

ED :)

Back