First 2 Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACDs Announced - Supersession and Breezin'

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're talking about Al Kooper's Super Session 5.1 SACD in Paris!

Marshall Blonstein’s label Audio Fidelity will be releasing a limited numbered edition 5.1 Multichannel Hybrid SACD of the legendary Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper and Stephen Stills Super Session album! The Super Session album was conceived as a jam session with Kooper on keyboards and former Paul Butterfield Blues Band member, Mike Bloomfield, on lead guitar along with veteran studio musician and Wrecking Crew member “Fast” Eddie Hoh on drums and Barry Goldberg, also on keyboards.

Bloomfield was available during the first day of recording for Side one of the LP (tracks 1-5). For the second day of recording, Kooper brought in former Buffalo Springfield guitarist Stephen Stills to perform on the music that became Side 2 of the LP (tracks 6-9). Recorded on a shoestring budget over a two day period in Los Angeles, Super Sessionwent on to become a rock classic and earned the trio a gold record for sales of over one million copies.

Regarding the new 5.1 Multichannel Hybrid Super Session release Kooper said, “Columbia asked me if I would be interested in mixing that album in 5.1. And I was. So it was setup and done in 2006. Then Columbia went out of the 5.1 business and it has been sitting there since then until I proposed Audio Fidelity put it out and they were very interested and here we are.”

“I always wanted to mix this in 5.1. I finished it in 2007, and it’s been sitting there until Audio Fidelity released it from captivity. It’s the first album I ever mixed in 5.1 I hope everyone enjoys it. Surround Sound allows the listener to get up close to each musician and hear details you can’t hear in stereo. Hope ya like details – I DO!”

The package includes new liner notes written by Al Kooper that tells the story of the Super Session album and the new 5.1 Multichannel Hybrid mix. The 5.1 mix by Al Kooper with mastering by Bob Ludwig was never released and yet it has acquired some fame from industry insiders familiar with the Multichannel mix with comments like “excellent” and “it deserves to be heard.” The new mastering of the stereo layer of tracks for new SACD Stereo and CD Stereo audio are by mastering engineer Steve Hoffman.

http://www.heralddeparis.com/rock-icon-al-kooper-super-sessions-5-1/239553

Music Direct has changed the release date of the 5.1 Audio Fidelity SACDs of Super Session and Breezin' from August 19, 2014 to August 26, 2014.

So, one more week to wait.

Super Session - 234910.jpg
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-234910...ession-nmbrd-lmtd-edition-hybrid-51-sacd.aspx

I just received an email from Marshall indicating that yes indeed, as reported by Steve Hoffman over at his forum, the next AF 5.1 SACD will be Al Kooper's surround mix of "Child is Father to the Man", the first album from Blood Sweat and Tears. They are expecting a mid-October release, which is of course tentative.

So, the two unreleased 5.1 Al Kooper mixes that we all read about a decade ago will both see the light of day - on Audio Fidelity SACD! Nice job by them I'd say.

I just received an email from Marshall indicating that yes indeed, as reported by Steve Hoffman over at his forum, the next AF 5.1 SACD will be Al Kooper's surround mix of "Child is Father to the Man", the first album from Blood Sweat and Tears. They are expecting a mid-October release, which is of course tentative.

So, the two unreleased 5.1 Al Kooper mixes that we all read about a decade ago will both see the light of day - on Audio Fidelity SACD! Nice job by them I'd say.

True. Just mentioned it in a new thread on the SACD Multichannel Forum.

No, it's just that being the "Multichannel Maven" at Audio Fidelity has it's advantages! :)

Thank you SO much for fighting surround music's corner all these years, I'm sure I'm not alone here in being immensely grateful for your tireless efforts through Multichannel music's up's and down's.

also, the knowledge and info you impart here and elsewhere on the subject is invaluable too, so a heartfelt "thank you" Mr.Moura :)

Thank you SO much for fighting surround music's corner all these years, I'm sure I'm not alone here in being immensely grateful for your tireless efforts through Multichannel music's up's and down's.

also, the knowledge and info you impart here and elsewhere on the subject is invaluable too, so a heartfelt "thank you" Mr.Moura :)

Thanks for the kudos.

It can be a bit lonely at times advocating for Multichannel releases and equipment. But the successes make it all worthwhile.
The good news is that more Multichannel music and equipment is coming - from companies like Audio Fidelity, Native DSD and others. Stay tuned.....

I'm wondering if anyone else is thinking what I'm thinking...

I pre-ordered Super Session from Amazon when it was $22.78, and a few weeks ago they wrote to tell me that they couldn't estimate a delivery date. Now the site says it will be released on September 2, but they still don't have an estimated delivery date.

Do you think they're hoping I'll cancel so they don't have to sell it at $23?

I don't think so, but wouldn't put it past 'em. I ordered Breezin' for that price as well and I got a notice it will be at my door on the 2nd. Breezin' is now at the same price as Super Session. I think it is just that Super Session is harder to stock (more popular.)

Are you kidding? That stuff is probably so automated that the program setting the delivery dates doesn't know anything about the program that set's the prices. But it is kind of fun to imagine some guy in a cubicle trying to figure out how he can screw you.

I pre-ordered Super Session from Amazon when it was $22.78, and a few weeks ago they wrote to tell me that they couldn't estimate a delivery date. Now the site says it will be released on September 2, but they still don't have an estimated delivery date.

No, this happens on amazon a lot and has nothing to do with the price. To be candid, amazon can usually be beaten or matched on the price anyway.

I've got nothing against Import CDs, but after shipping and handling it's actually more than I'm paying at Amazon.

Not for me... being on the other side of the world the shipping costs were actually cheaper all up....... & I had ordered at 22.78 for that and Breezin also :)

I don't think so. Probably just a case of getting the stock and inventorying it prior to shipments and sales.

here are some photos of the sq sound lp that has I stand alone in quad sq as well as a very strange quad mix of season of the witch, where they forget to turn off an an alternate lead vocal ...subsequently giving you 2 al kooper vocals at the same time...sometimes in sync..

Attachments

• sqsoundinside39749852_o2.jpg
    sqsoundinside39749852_o2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 337
  • sqsound9749852_o1.jpg
    sqsound9749852_o1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 319
  • sqsoundcover39749852.jpg
    sqsoundcover39749852.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 341
Back