First Album release in Involve Quad format: Suzanne Ciani Live Quadraphonic

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overture

QQ Supporter
Hi all,

So the first album to be released in our format is now available on Itunes / Amazon / ETC in digital form.

There is also a limited Vinyl box set which includes a custom decoder we designed for the project.

It's Suzanne Ciani's LIVE quadraphonic album, and we have been working with her and the producer KamranV on this project all year.

It's not musical so much as it is engaging and interesting. I like it - but I've been professionally diagnosed as "a bit strange" so make of that what you will.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/live-quadraphonic/1380954771
https://www.amazon.com/Live-Quadraphonic-Suzanne-Ciani/dp/B07CVK7SB8

There's also a write up about it in Wired among other places.

https://www.wired.com/story/suzanne-ciani-live-quadraphonic/

There is a limited vinyl box set available in the USA - a run of 227 units, that comes with a custom decoder made especially for this project. It's just a PCB and standoffs with the Involve decode, 2 in 4 out - nothing that puts the surround master to shame particularly.
Still kinda cool.

If you have a Surround Master (and I think that you might) - check it out.

~D

Hi all,

So the first album to be released in our format is now available on Itunes / Amazon / ETC in digital form.

There is also a limited Vinyl box set which includes a custom decoder we designed for the project.

It's Suzanne Ciani's LIVE quadraphonic album, and we have been working with her and the producer KamranV on this project all year.

It's not musical so much as it is engaging and interesting. I like it - but I've been professionally diagnosed as "a bit strange" so make of that what you will.

There is a limited vinyl box set available in the USA - a run of 227 units, that comes with a custom decoder made especially for this project. It's just a PCB and standoffs with the Involve decode, 2 in 4 out - nothing that puts the surround master to shame particularly.
Still kinda cool.

~D

For those of us not fortunate enough to have the special decoder or access to turntables and are not currently into downloads, would you EVER consider releasing Suzanne's album in a physical disc format....either hybrid SACD and/or Pure Blu~ray Audio?

For those of us not fortunate enough to have the special decoder or access to turntables and are not currently into downloads, would you EVER consider releasing Suzanne's album in a physical disc format....either hybrid SACD and/or Pure Blu~ray Audio?

The "special decoder" is the Surround Master in a demo board form.

Hi all,

Still kinda cool.

~D
How do YOU know I have a Surround Master? Did you build a GPS transmitter into it??? Does it record my musical selections? Sneaky Aussies!

so, i can't buy the encoded LP without the decoder?

booo deee hooo!!! :LOL:

i have the Surround Master already, I hate downloads and would rather hold
off and get another SM when Mk.2 comes out! (insert <violin smashed
over head> emoticon)

daaaaaayaaaaamn..!! oh well.. NEXT!!???!!!! :ROFLMAO:

so, i can't buy the encoded LP without the decoder?

booo deee hooo!!! :LOL:

i have the Surround Master already, I hate downloads and would rather hold
off and get another SM when Mk.2 comes out! (insert <violin smashed
over head> emoticon)

daaaaaayaaaaamn..!! oh well.. NEXT!!???!!!! :ROFLMAO:

I strongly recommend you dry you tears, take a shot of courage if you need it, hold your nose, and order the mp3 download.

As a dabbler in analog synths since the 70s, Ms. Ciani's name is instantly recognizable to me.
I remember reading an early profile of her here, in Keyboard Magazine: https://www.keyboardmag.com/artists/suzanne-ciani
An award-winning pioneer of synthesis and quadraphonics, collaborator with Roxy Music and Steve Hackett.

I have no Surround Master, but the Involve encoding sounds spectacular decoded in DPLIImus with my center channel off and the fronts -3dB.
Its like a 30-minute quad version of On The Run from DSOTM, it that sort of thing is your cup of tea.

An historic release, and all "Involve(d)" are to be praised. congratulated, and supported by the quad community.
Well worth $5.99 US.
Mon dieux, all the carping about unavailable economical standalones of expensive box sets.

So, fredo blu, since there is no butt-kicking emoji for me to bestow upon you, here's the best I can do:
:SB :SB
:dance
:SB:SB

:51QQ

~dave~:hi

034_elm0118_interview_suzanneciani-1.jpg

Honestly this isn't up to us - the release and format is up to Suzanne and KamranV - and KamranV is slightly distracted with a new family member right now but I'll check into it for you. I believe the idea was an experiment in throwbacks to the days of quad vinyl, and to try and stimulate more discussion and experimentation with Quad - but there might be a more general physical release beyond the vinyl / box set idea. No promises though.

~D

I strongly recommend you dry you tears, take a shot of courage if you need it, hold your nose, and order the mp3 download.

As a dabbler in analog synths since the 70s, Ms. Ciani's name is instantly recognizable to me.
I remember reading an early profile of her here, in Keyboard Magazine: https://www.keyboardmag.com/artists/suzanne-ciani
An award-winning pioneer of synthesis and quadraphonics, collaborator with Roxy Music and Steve Hackett.

I have no Surround Master, but the Involve encoding sounds spectacular decoded in DPLIImus with my center channel off and the fronts -3dB.
Its like a 30-minute quad version of On The Run from DSOTM, it that sort of thing is your cup of tea.

An historic release, and all "Involve(d)" are to be praised. congratulated, and supported by the quad community.
Well worth $5.99 US.
Mon dieux, all the carping about unavailable economical standalones of expensive box sets.

So, fredo blu, since there is no butt-kicking emoji for me to bestow upon you, here's the best I can do:
:dance

:51QQ

~dave~:hi

034_elm0118_interview_suzanneciani-1.jpg

thanks Dave the Dabbler, you're all heart! ;):love:

Honestly this isn't up to us - the release and format is up to Suzanne and KamranV - and KamranV is slightly distracted with a new family member right now but I'll check into it for you. I believe the idea was an experiment in throwbacks to the days of quad vinyl, and to try and stimulate more discussion and experimentation with Quad - but there might be a more general physical release beyond the vinyl / box set idea. No promises though.

~D

a most successful experiment, there's a few old Quad records I can't get my hands on either! ;)
i shall download and be damned!
Apple will probably think my accounts been hacked its so long since i last used iTunes! here goes nuttin'..! :rocks

I've been reading up on Ciani. On wiki it says about the new album:

For this experimental release and inspired by the Buchla 227 quad output module, there is a limited edition of only 227 LPs, numbered, 45 rpm, 180g quadraphonic vinyl discs[20] sold,

45 RPM? 12"? 7"? That's not an album just a single it seems to me.

I've been reading up on Ciani. On wiki it says about the new album:

45 RPM? 12"? 7"? That's not an album just a single it seems to me.

Ciani had quite a prolific career recording some gorgeous, melodic albums for RCA's audiophile Private Music Label. Wish they'd release some of those as Stereo SACDs [or remix them in surround].

https://www.discogs.com/artist/306770-Suzanne-Ciani

Last edited:
Enough carping about large corporations, lossy formats, etc.

You guys beat everything, you know that?
Hundreds of Surround Master posts, dozens of owners.

Yet no one has yet commented on this groundbreaking "proof of concept" historic release demonstrating the effectiveness of the encoding.
Stunning Quad from a stereo source.

Let me quote the WIRED piece.
  • Any turntable can play the vinyl, and though the decoder that comes in the box does the best job of representing the quad mix, you aren't required to hook it up.
  • If you have a modern home theater receiver, there's likely a Dolby Pro Logic II decoder in it, and if you flip that on and choose the "Music Mode" setting, it does a decent job of recreating Ciani's quad mix.
  • Provided you're the precious sort of gear-hound who owns a vintage quad system, you can play the record on that as long as it handles the Regular Matrix/QS format.

So here, have a free listen to the entire 30 minute performance encoded in Involve Quad on YouTube.
It's a "soundscape" type piece, like Tangerine Dream, for example.
Not everyone's cup of tea, but an effective demo.
Try skipping to around 17:17, and see if you don't hear sound swirling around the room.

Here's some more Suzanne Ciani on YT:
Performed 27 January 2017 in Stockholm, Sweden. Originally in quadraphonic spatial sound.

Ciani on Letterman Show

Ciani had quite a prolific career recording some gorgeous, melodic albums for RCA's audiophile Private Music Label. Wish they'd release some of those as Stereo SACDs [or remix them in surround].

https://www.discogs.com/artist/306770-Suzanne-Ciani

Agreed. Unlike you Ciani is a brand new artist to me so I'm just beginning to explore her music. I know if I had the choice between used vinyl vs new SACD, esp surround, I would jump at the chance.

Obviously she is still active but seems so prolific in the 70's. Those tomes also gave birth to Yellow Magic Orchestra, one of my faves I'll mention. Not strictly electronic they had a strong techno sound well used for hits like Technopolis and Rydeen.

Then again, the 70's was great for so many things.....

Enough carping about large corporations, lossy formats, etc.

You guys beat everything, you know that?
Hundreds of Surround Master posts, dozens of owners.

Yet no one has yet commented on this groundbreaking "proof of concept" historic release demonstrating the effectiveness of the encoding.
Stunning Quad from a stereo source.

Let me quote the WIRED piece.
  • Any turntable can play the vinyl, and though the decoder that comes in the box does the best job of representing the quad mix, you aren't required to hook it up.
  • If you have a modern home theater receiver, there's likely a Dolby Pro Logic II decoder in it, and if you flip that on and choose the "Music Mode" setting, it does a decent job of recreating Ciani's quad mix.
  • Provided you're the precious sort of gear-hound who owns a vintage quad system, you can play the record on that as long as it handles the Regular Matrix/QS format.

So here, have a free listen to the entire 30 minute performance encoded in Involve Quad on YouTube.
It's a "soundscape" type piece, like Tangerine Dream, for example.
Not everyone's cup of tea, but an effective demo.
Try skipping to around 17:17, and see if you don't hear sound swirling around the room.

Here's some more Suzanne Ciani on YT:
Performed 27 January 2017 in Stockholm, Sweden. Originally in quadraphonic spatial sound.

Ciani on Letterman Show

Wowsers thanks for the Ciani Quadraphonic link on YouTube. I have a favorite bottle of sake & I was planning on making it a Ciani evening. Now I know what to go to first!

For all the discussion of technical minutiae and ground breaking proof of concept, don't over look that this is a great piece of music. At least certainly to my liking. LIVE Quadraphonic was the perfect choice for me to listen to last night & I'll do it again tonight. What are you going to call this: Techno? Trance? It's too warm to be the former to lively to be the latter. It really strikes a great balance.

And back to technical stuff....
My QSD-1000 has developed Alzheimer's so I made do with DPL II on my Anthem AV30. Adjusted for QS parameters the sound field was amazing. Not gimicky but so live & always in motion. Listening to the YouTube version makes me even more anxious to buy a higher quality source & check it out on the SM V2.

And here's the appraisal of the hardware, which brings a proud little tear to my eye. (it's under the eyepatch, so you can't actually see it)

*****************************************************************************************************
I received the replacement circuit board/decoder today. actually in an anti-static bag, and in one piece.
If this bit of tech was around in 1974, not only would quad have been saved, but QS would have left SQ in the dust.
No - it's still not discrete, it can't be, but in bench testing with qs recordings I made - there is clean >20db of front to
rear separation at the 10 frequencies I used. and this remained constant with pink noise as well. (left to right was
even better).
I've already offered my opinion of the record (which can be seen on the Amazon.com review section) - This little board is
as good from a technology standpoint as that album is from a musical standpoint.
so - IMOHO
1. tech = A
2. recording/performance = A+
3. packaging/marketing = F good job
****************************************************************************************************

Back