First all-analog #quadraphonic direct-to-disc recording cut at Bernie Grundman Mastering: Alex Lilly's Fissures ( in space )

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also interest @kamranv if these samples here:

https://quark.cykik.com/listen/
could be albums in the works or
QUARK Regular Matrix.jpg
encode testing by you only?

Also interest @kamranv if these samples here:

https://quark.cykik.com/listen/
could be albums in the works or
View attachment 72242 encode testing by you only?
On further investigation, these look like folks making their own music and encoding using the QUARK plug-in encoder for distribution on Soundcloud.

If you want to decode them on something like the Surround Master, seems they can be Downloaded from the top arrow.

*recognize one of our members here @Franck Martin in there!

DL QUARK ENCODED.jpg

(I've been busy, I haven't tried DynaQuad or stereo headphones yet)

The Quad era coincided with the Direct Cut Disc era, but I know of no cases where a QS or other matrix encoder was used to make a Quad Direct Cut Disc, making this LP unique.

Kirk Bayne

(I've been busy, I haven't tried DynaQuad or stereo headphones yet)

The Quad era coincided with the Direct Cut Disc era, but I know of no cases where a QS or other matrix encoder was used to make a Quad Direct Cut Disc, making this LP unique.

Kirk Bayne
I wouldn't characterize it as much an LP, as a 12" single. Only two tracks, one on each side, and both under 4 minutes each. But played through the SM, it rocks!

As far as I can tell, it was not encoded using the Involve Smart Encode. Certainly if it was we would be hearing about it from Chucky. And if you prowl around the Kamranv/cykik websites you'll see they are specifically promoting their QUARK DAW plug in to do Regular Matrix encoding. No shout outs to QS or Involve:

https://www.cykik.com/quad/7lff5zz0ke34srtebo1ithnoymtu3y
Edit: I see in the 1st post the audio is said to be QS encoded. Nothing about Involve. Perhaps @kamranv could clarify?

Thank you for all of the kind comments on the recording and the conversation around the process. For this specific record it was actually encoded in QS using a custom encoder box made by Odaka Shuichi. He was also one of the very helpful people (including the excellent folks at Involve Audio) who I learned from as I was creating Suzanne Ciani - LIVE Quadraphonic. We did use in Involve development decoder to preview the decode during the recording process.

Regarding QUARK, I did used it for the other two recent albums that I produced: decades ( in space ) and Patrick Gleeson - FOUREVER. The initial goal was to make QUARK with Involve inside of it however we were never able to implement their version of the "QS math" properly. We talked with Dave a bunch during the process. He's very smart and hilarious which always made it fun however we ended up relying on the old AES paper on QS to arrive where we did with the plugin.

Involve makes the best hardware that my ears have heard for QS decoding however the fact that Involve IS hardware simply makes it more difficult in the mix process. Having a plugin to preview the encode and decode saves a lot of time and allows for better creative decisions. Also, since it's a plugin there is no noise (power supply, etc).

I'm curious if any of you have proper ATMOS systems out there and have listened to any of my new releases through Apple and Tidal. Do the two sound different to you? I also haven't had a chance to listen on proper audiophile receiver-based systems; how do the Atmos streams sound there?

Last edited:
Last edited:
@kamranv

Will there be more physical type products released and encoded RM(QS) . Now of course I mean surround quad encoded silver discs as well as vinyl.
And can it be obtained locally via a record shop as well as ......on line !

Also thanks for the effort in keeping matrix quad alive. I only wish more artists... or for that matter Record Companies would release their stockpiled matrix quad tapes on todays music formats , ie : silver disc .

Well Yes I can dream ....can't eye .🧞‍♂️💤

@kamranv

Will there be more physical type products released and encoded RM(QS) . Now of course I mean surround quad encoded silver discs as well as vinyl.

Also thanks for the effort in keeping matrix quad alive. I only wish more artists... or for that matter Record Companies would release their stockpiled matrix quad tapes on todays music formats , ie : silver disc .

Like maybe this one ?
https://norskradiofabrikk.no/#about-1

Well yes sort of , yes.

Interesting that it says Quadraphonic on the vinyl album cover , but I wonder why it also states gives 7 DISCRETE channels when decoded , with DPL 1 , DPL2 , RM , or QS ?

Two other quad matrix silver discs that come to mind are almost recently released by Dutton Vocalion and A. F .
Herbie Hancock - Sextant , SACD 4.0 w/ an SQ stereo layer , and Audio Fidelity's Santana Lotus 2ch SACD SQ .

And in DV's case there is the likelihood that we will see more like that Hancock disc. At least I hope so.
:)

Well yes sort of , yes.

Interesting that it says Quadraphonic on the vinyl album cover , but I wonder why it also states gives 7 DISCRETE channels when decoded , with DPL 1 , DPL2 , RM , or QS ?

Two other quad matrix silver discs that come to mind are almost recently released by Dutton Vocalion and A. F .
Herbie Hancock - Sextant , SACD 4.0 w/ an SQ stereo layer , and Audio Fidelity's Santana Lotus 2ch SACD SQ .

And in DV's case there is the likelihood that we will see more like that Hancock disc. At least I hope so.
:)
Looking at their website, there's no information on how to order this album. I wonder how they intend to sell them if they don't put it out there?

Last edited:
@kamranv

For my records, all of the 2-channel versions are RM/QS/QUARK/Involve/DPL2 encoded. If you all want CDs I’m down to make them if there are enough of you to justify the cost and effort.

For the deluxe version of Patrick Gleeson - FOUREVER, there are two CDs that come with it but this is of older stuff, not done in quad. I’m finalizing the manufacturing now and would happily add an SACD layer to the discs containing a discrete version of FOUREVER as an Easter egg.

…Only thing is that this version is limited to 86 copies. Let me know if this is of interest. Even better, go pre order the deluxe version.

…and as to recordshops, I would happily distribute to them but with these limited edition indie releases, the demand doesn’t seem to be there. Even with Suzanne Ciani, it was only available at Third Man Reocrds and Ace hotels.

Oh yes , you bet I'm down for cd editions encoded in Quark (QS).
Like some other quad matrix cd seekers , I still purchase these rarities as I have SQ and QS Decoders. (as do others)

If you haven't been reading the Matrix Quad Lp , CD, thread... in Legacy Quadraphonic Systems , I'd advise you to do so . So that you may familiarize yourself with the abundance of collectors.

So yes I like those matrix encoded cd silver discs . And quite likely some other members on QQ do as well as you would discover.

Replaced the connection to my DynaQuad surround speaker(s) with stereo headphone extensions (2 10' krazy glued together), I thought it would be a good time to try the Alex Lilly QS vinyl record (actually my homemade [for personal use only] stereo DVD [Dolby Digital at 256kbps])

Side A sounded OK thru DynaQuad.
Side B sounded excellent, almost like discrete, with sounds coming specifically from the surround speaker(s).

Kirk Bayne

...For the deluxe version of Patrick Gleeson - FOUREVER, there are two CDs that come with it but this is of older stuff, not done in quad. I’m finalizing the manufacturing now and would happily add an SACD layer to the discs containing a discrete version of FOUREVER as an Easter egg.

…Only thing is that this version is limited to 86 copies. Let me know if this is of interest. Even better, go pre order the deluxe version.

I pre-ordered the day the streaming version came out. Excellent surround effects decoding in Dolby PL II.
A discrete version would be very much appreciated, download perhaps if the SACD layer is problematic.

Congratulations on this project and thanks for sharing here.

Back