HiRez Poll Fish - WELTSCHMERZ [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Fish - WELTSCHMERZ

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2020 Blu-Ray Audio release from former Marillion lead singer Fish entitled "Weltschmerz".
The album is currently scheduled to be his last studio album released, and the deluxe edition (available to buy only on Fish's website) contains a Blu-Ray with a 5.1 surround mix from engineers Avril Mackintosh and Andy Bradfield.
The Blu-Ray also contains some additional visual material.

(y) :) (n)

inc_imageget.php

Received my copy last Saturday and have listened to the complete album several times. After the OK Clutching At Straws and the rather disappointing Script effort, I wasn't expecting a lot from Bradfield and Mackintosh on Weltschmerz, but I'm happy to report that they've delivered a truly excellent surround mix that eclipses their earlier work by a wide margin. The surround field is fully immersive and very discrete, with backing vocals, guitar and keyboard parts, percussion and various sound effects appearing strongly, even aggressively in the rears. Fish is in very fine voice throughout the album, and while his vocals are firmly anchored front and center, the listener is placed in the middle of a fully realized 360 degree environment. The AQ is excellent as well - crystal clarity and deep bass - this is easily the best sounding album from Fish that I have heard. The mix is very complimentary to the music, dramatically opening it up and increasing impact, even on the less interesting tracks, and is never distracting. I'm unexpectedly voting a 10 because for me, I couldn't really ask for much more from a surround mix. I think everyone who was concerned about this deluxe release will be very pleasantly surprised.

Some additional random thoughts. The deluxe package is pricey, but it is a double album - 84 minutes of new studio music plus a smattering of live tracks, videos and interviews. The slightly oversize book set package is really gorgeous with great illustrations, photos, etc., with a very plush feeling finish that resists smudging, disc sleeves that aren't too tight and an interesting sort of diary from Fish on the making of the album. Musically I think this is the best and most consistent thing he's done since Vigil. Although it is quite "proggy", it also is very much a singer/songwriter effort where the lyrics and ideas presented are the main focus with music constructed as a means to deliver them, similar to other notable artists like Roger Waters and Peter Hammill. My copy arrived in the U.S. in very stout packaging and was in perfect condition - the entire ordering experience from Fish's website was excellent. If this really is the last album from Fish it's a great release for him to end on, and something of a vindication for a lengthy, uneven, and often turbulent career.

I felt that this was an extremely personal bluray by Fish, if he is truly retiring he is leaving quite an interesting piece of work behind him.
I thought that this was recorded well for surround and was tastefully discrete throughout the surround environment.

I like this bluray but found myself losing interest because of the length of some of the songs and after awhile some of it seem to blend together. For me this was to much to listen to for one sitting so I found myself becoming distracted. . I am going to listen to it again because I found it interesting in parts and you can tell how much care was put into this. I don't feel it is fair to rate this until I give this another listen. I appreciate it for what it is, it has has all the elements I look for in a good surround disc but I felt somewhat disconnected and found my interest coming and going as I listened to it.

I've been playing this for a week now and finally got to the surround mix on the weekend. It has great sonics and a surprisingly good, if not great, surround mix. The thing here that really keeps this at the top of the pile for me is the material and the performance. This is the best new music I've heard in quite some time. It is proggy sounding with a focus on the lyrics and the storytelling. Lyrically this stuff ranks right up there with Roger Waters best efforts, but offers a lot more imagery. Be sure to have a copy of the lyrics handy when you listen. These are not casual themes being discussed. Some of the tracks are indeed long epics. Its a double album with a total of 5 tracks per disc, but I never got the feeling it was rambling or that I was listening to filler. For all these reasons, this gets a 10 from me. If you're on the fence, buy it, as it looks to be kind of limited distribution wise. As I understand it, it's only sold direct from the Fish website. That's unbelievable considering the quality of the songwriting here.

I never followed Fish beyond his Marillion days. If this is representative of what the back catalog is like, I'm going to have to buy more of it. Any Fish aficionados out there who want to advise on where this falls in the Fish cannon and recommendations for where to go next?

Last edited:
I never followed Fish beyond his Marillion days. If this is representative of what the back catalog is like, I'm going to have to buy more of it. Any Fish aficionados out there who want to advise on where this falls in the Fish cannon and recommendations for where to go next?

The majority of the devoted seem to be holding this in high regard. Top 2 or 3. To me, there may be some sentimentality to that as it is supposed to be his last studio album.

If you like the overall feeling of this album, I would say try Raingods with Zippos (1999) & A Feast of Consequences (2013) which I feel both have the same type of proggy, prose to music vein.

Personally, I like more of a neo-prog style and feel that his debut, Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors (1990) is his best. Essentially it consists of a lot of lyrical ideas he was working on before leaving Marillion. Highlights for me are The Company , Cliché with an awesome Hal Lindes solo, and his best ballad "A Gentleman's Excuse Me".

The follow-up Internal Exile (1991) tries hard to follow up on the debut and there are three really strong songs Shadowplay, Internal Exile, & Credo (which you would likely love if you found songs like Assassing from Fugazi to your liking. The rest of the album cuts have more of modern AOR vibe of the day.

Suits (1994) can't seem to find itself. It is is his first truly independent album and maybe is just a bit too self indulgent. It sounds more alternative pop than prog. It is typically regarded as either a love it/hate it album by the faithful.

Steve Wilson stepped in and helped produce & write 1997's Sunsets on Empire and I think the songs have more than a passing resemblance to how Wilson was developing the sound of Porcupine Tree during the same era. This album has my favorite Fish track "Sunsets on Empire" which combines Fish's cutting lyrics on a failing relationship set to a Pink Floyd type soundscape complete with a Clare Torry type vocal solo.

I think he hit a rough spot in the early 2000(s) which had Fellini Days (2001) & Field of Crows (2004). A couple of good songs on each but in my opinion are awful albums. I came close to writing the big man off with Field of Crows which had some abysmal lyrics and out of character music.

That leaves 2007's 13th Star which is my second favorite album. Fish seems to return to his earlier roots with emotionally charged interpersonal lyrics and neo-prog music.

You can also consider 1993's cover album called Songs from the Mirror, where he has some pretty good covers of ? by the Moody Blues, Fearless by Pink Floyd, I Know What I Like by Genesis, Time and a Word (w/ Steve Howe) by Yes, and 5 Years by Bowie.

If you want to hear stuff more like Weltschmerz:
  • Raingods with Zippos
  • A Feast of Consequences
If you want to hear stuff with more witty wordplay, attitude, & emotion:
  • Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors
  • 13th Star
  • Internal Exile
If you want to hear how Steve Wilson influences an album:
  • Sunsets on Empire
If you made it this far and are still interested:
  • Suits - If you like Vigil, Internal, Sunsets better
  • Fellini Days - If you like Weltschmerz, Raingods, Feast
  • Field of Crows - If you want to torture yourself ;)

I think "Vigil" is really good. If he'd been able to combine this with the stuff which Marillion salvaged from the post "Clutching At Straws" sessions.. "Internal Exile" as already mentioned has three really strong tracks on it "Shadowplay, Credo and Lucky". I like "Suits", even if what I think of as the best track "Black Canal" only appeared on a CD single. Then the wheels came off. The self-cover version / re-recorded / what the actual? albums "Yin" and "Yang", not withstanding the excellent gig he did at the Belfast Empire, are amongst the worst albums I own. "Sunsets On Empire" finished me off with Fish for a long time, only the recent album "Feast Of Consequences" tempted me back. This album intrigued me, so I bought it. It's a bit intense. The track "Garden Of Remembrance" is heartbreaking.

I don’t recall hearing or reading about any limited editions.

He did mention that the initial pressing of the vinyl edition sold better than he anticipated (3,000) and that it is currently out-of-stock.

He indicated that he is doing a second pressing but will not get it back in inventory until about February due to pressing plants being over capacity with jobs.

It was interesting to hear that this album is selling more vinyl than his last two albums and he just missed it on projections.

The standard CD issue & Deluxe Edition can still be ordered from his website. No other authorized retailers.

Hoping to hear that the positive buzz on the new album, 5.1 mix & the Marillion Duluxe Reissues will spur the rights holder for Vigil to jump on the positive vibe bandwagon.

And maybe Fish would think about a 5.1 a little more on his planned re-pressing of 13th Star.

Kinda weird that the only "credit" I could find in the deluxe book for the surround mix, is in the thank you section.
Sort of a vague reference to Andy and Avril helping surround him in the music or somesuch.

Anyone else find a more specific credit?

Re ltd edition From memory (answer probably in this thread) is that the deluxe vr with 5.1 was limited to 14/15k but he did state that he would print some more if he sold out of those before the pre order date closed, not heard of a reprint so it'd be safe to say once the stock he currently holds is gone that'd be it.
Which is his best albums, best is Vigil, but in no particular order these are strong as well, Internal, 13th Star, Feast & the new one. rest are patchy with Fellini Days being awful (played it fully twice & that's it which is one more than YES - open your ears). It does say a lot that his last 3 are very strong & there's not many artists you can say that about who've had a 30/40 year career.

So I ordered Feast of Consequences (standard CD) and Raingods With Zippos (deluxe remaster) from the Fish site. There was no availability for Vigil In a wilderness of Mirrors on his site, in any format. Nor can any of his catalog be found at CD Import. Vigil only seems to be available via resellers and at high prices. Is it out of print?

I believe Fish is working with Parophone for permission to add it too his own remaster series. I think the plan was to get that moving along with a remaster of 13th Star after the whole Weltschmerz cycle winds down.

I did see a few used copies of Vigil on Amazon US in the $30 range.

As I commented on Mike’s Life In Surround review thread, I’m totally blown away by this release. It’s superlative in every way possible and gets a much deserved ‘10’ from me.

There’s zero filler amongst the 84 minutes of sublime music captured by Fish and his cohorts. Fish’s lyrics are a high point and his phrasing is fantastic. The musicianship is superb throughout and the mix is wonderfully immersive and crystal clear fidelity-wise. Most crankable!

Everything about the package exudes quality and the 100 page book is simply a work of art on the same level as the music. The four Weltschmerz 2018 live stereo tracks decode beautifully with my Yammy’s Neural THX DSP. There’s a great Fish interview in Prog magazine where he mentions that this release’s production and distribution is truly a family affair. All I can say is WOW!

Yeah, it’s pricey but well worth the price of admission.

Back