Fixing Aqualung's Quad Mix: The Back Left Channel's Incorrect Polarity; Sometimes Laughably Out of Phase LFE; Swapped Back Channels of "Hymn 43"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey @JohnN: don't mean to derail this thread, but do you have the ear of anyone at Parlophone (or wherever) who could do something about the Blu-Ray disc rot that so many of us have experienced? I even went so far as to contact the QC department at Optimal, who manufactured the discs in question, and they basically said that they'd executed their contract, the warranty period associated with that contract was over long ago, and (sorry, but) there was nothing to be done. I know you were a party to this thread:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/jethro-tull-aqualung-bluray-audio-failing.28494/
Tough one. Unfortunately I doubt anyone wants to get involved. The Adapted Aqualung was created because of the production problems. IMO Warner should give free Adapted DVDs to those that complain. TaaB caused a lot of headaches and now Broadsword is dragged out.
Cheers

Unfortunately I doubt anyone wants to get involved.
It’d be great if Chrysalis could be persuaded to release it as a hi-res download, perhaps just to test the waters? Seems like a win-win to me, as no disc manufacturing or authoring expenses are required.

A limited-run SDE Blu-Ray could be another possibility worth exploring.

I still wonder if the other underwhelming-sounding Tull quads in these boxed sets, need this sort of attention.

As for disc rot -- rip those discs to files ASAP. We have the technology, why not use it?

After Aqualung on Blu-ray, thought was given to releasing Aqualung Adapted in 4.0, but with pulling the tape again (and the cost), the decent Mew transfer was left at 4.1. The approach on the Adapted Edition was to release the original master stereo with minimal adjustment. This is how all other quad was released. Give the fans the sound with minimal correction and in 4.0.

After Aqualung on Blu-ray, thought was given to releasing Aqualung Adapted in 4.0, but with pulling the tape again (and the cost), the decent Mew transfer was left at 4.1. The approach on the Adapted Edition was to release the original master stereo with minimal adjustment. This is how all other quad was released. Give the fans the sound with minimal correction and in 4.0.
I don't understand this.

To be more precise, are there (enough) low frequency signals in the other 4 channels that would be directed to subwoofers by an AVR with bass management if the LFE channel were somehow removed or muted? In other words, are the low frequency signals in the LFE channel subtracted from or derived from low frequency levels in the other four channels?

FWIW I just tried this on Cross Eyed Mary quad (96kHz), and I eyeballed it (using highly magnified and if necessary amplified lowpassed LFE and FR tracks and careful time measurement within Audacity) and ended up with a 2.784 sec forward LFE offset (I.e., that much silence needs to be added to the start of the LFE). But I immediately noticed that the resulting LFE looked out of phase at a 'macro' level with the front left and right too. Anyone else see this?

FWIW I just tried this on Cross Eyed Mary quad (96kHz), and I eyeballed it (using highly magnified and if necessary amplified lowpassed LFE and FR tracks and careful time measurement within Audacity) and ended up with a 2.784 sec forward LFE offset (I.e., that much silence needs to be added to the start of the LFE). But I immediately noticed that the resulting LFE looked out of phase at a 'macro' level with the front left and right too. Anyone else see this?
You offset the original LFE, not the low-passed LFE, right?

This is why I asked about removing/muting the LFE channel. I really appreciate DE's findings and recommendations, but they're a little complicated for this dummy, and if there is a simpler way to solve the LFE problem, I'd love to hear it.

Back