FLAC file properties question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stereoptic

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I have many files that I have extracted from BluRay but I never noted if it was a DTS or LPCM rip. Is there a process to look at the file with Audacity or foobar or something else that would display that info?

What has this got to do with your "FLAC file properties question" topic title?
I'd assume he has flac files that he created from ripping a disc and he would like to know how to know if they are from a DTS or LPCM layer. He probably didn't label them such, that he knows. Seems straight forward question to me I guess. Unless I'm not understanding the context.

I'd assume he has flac files that he created from ripping a disc and he would like to know how to know if they are from a DTS or LPCM layer. He probably didn't label them such, that he knows. Seems straight forward question to me I guess. Unless I'm not understanding the context.
Exactly. I should have specified "FLAC files" for those who didn't surmise from the thread title.

There’s nothing in a FLAC that will tell you the whether the source was DTS or LPCM unless you add a comment tag with that info.
Thanks for that verification. I use foobar to look at some properties, and I was wondering why a track that was DTS and extracted to FLAC has a 'lossless' information.

Exactly. I should have specified "FLAC files" for those who didn't surmise from the thread title.
As @HomerJAU has already mentioned, if all you have is a FLAC encoded file then there's no way of determining the original source audio format.

That being said, the majority of multi-channel DVD-A audio discs are encoded using lossless LPCM (mpl) audio at 96/24. So if your FLAC file has been encoded at 96/24 it 'might' have come from a DVD-A source... However, many multi-channel Blu-ray audio discs encoded using lossless DTS-HD MA audio will have the same 96/24 properties. And much the same goes for DVD-V sources encoded using 'lossy' DTS audio!

I have become way more sophisticated with noting this kind of info when creating backups from DVD and BD's. I actually set the Album Title and include the channels and source. This allows for the albums to be separated when playing back the full album. In other words, the stereo version versus the surround version, etc. I also note in the comment section the sampling rate and bit depth, along with the codec source and any other specific info that would help identify the original source of the FLAC file.

So for the titles, as an example:
Hand. Cannot. Erase. [2.0 BD]
Hand. Cannot. Erase. (Extras) [2.0 BD]
Hand. Cannot. Erase. (Instrumentals) [2.0 BD]
Hand. Cannot. Erase. [5.1 BD]

And then as an example in the comments I note:
5.1 surround mix 96kHz / 24-bit LPCM from Blu-ray.

Thus the above gives me four album variations to listen to, plust the notation about the source for each.
I also place each in a separate sub-folder, and always start with track #1 for each variant.

I have become way more sophisticated with noting this kind of info when creating backups from DVD and BD's. I actually set the Album Title and include the channels and source. This allows for the albums to be separated when playing back the full album. In other words, the stereo version versus the surround version, etc. I also note in the comment section the sampling rate and bit depth, along with the codec source and any other specific info that would help identify the original source of the FLAC file.

Thus the above gives me four album variations to listen to, plust the notation about the source for each.
I also place each in a separate sub-folder, and always start with track #1 for each variant.
You stole my idea! 😉👍🏻

I do a similar tagging and identification. But there are some multi-channel files that I did not do that to so I am going to go back and rip them again.

As @HomerJAU has already mentioned, if all you have is a FLAC encoded file then there's no way of determining the original source audio format.

That being said, the majority of multi-channel DVD-A audio discs are encoded using lossless LPCM (mpl) audio at 96/24. So if your FLAC file has been encoded at 96/24 it 'might' have come from a DVD-A source... However, many multi-channel Blu-ray audio discs encoded using lossless DTS-HD MA audio will have the same 96/24 properties. And much the same goes for DVD-V sources encoded using 'lossy' DTS audio!
Great synopsis, thanks!

I have a handful of similar folders. Being someone who doesn’t delete music files, no matter how bad (even MIDIs), when I get a higher res or more channels, they just go in a new album folder with a title like “xxxx 4.0.”

I'm amused how we all invent the wheel differently. I name my folders to make the source as clear as possible... for equivalent example:

2015 Hand. Cannot. Erase. (LPCM 24bit 96kHz 2.0 bluray release)
2015 Hand. Cannot. Erase. (LPCM 24bit 96kHz 5.1 bluray release)

In this case it looks like I included the stereo extras in the main stereo folder; and did not convert the instruments...

I'm amused how we all invent the wheel differently. I name my folders to make the source as clear as possible... for equivalent example:

2015 Hand. Cannot. Erase. (LPCM 24bit 96kHz 2.0 bluray release)
2015 Hand. Cannot. Erase. (LPCM 24bit 96kHz 5.1 bluray release)

In this case it looks like I included the stereo extras in the main stereo folder; and did not convert the instruments...

I separate my 'stereo' and 'multi-channel' album back-ups into different folders on my NAS. Here's is typical an example of one of the 'stereo' folders: -

Capture.PNG

Cheers

You can head to discogs.com, find the release, filter format by either multichannel or the specific medium, and sometimes whoever submitted the info will include the codec used, a couple of examples here -

https://www.discogs.com/release/1375315-Porcupine-Tree-In-Absentiahttps://www.discogs.com/release/1301707-Fleetwood-Mac-Rumours
The discogs listing for the Polydor BluRay of The Rolling Stones' Exile on Main Street indicates that the resolution is 192, but I just checked my disc and all sections are 96-24.

Back