Flaming Lips: Christmas on Mars

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boxhead

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Musictap is reporting that a new Flaming Lips album is due to be realesed soon.

To quote: "Warner Brothers will release a new album from The Flaming Lips called Christmas on Mars. That album is will be a CD/DVD issue and will release on November 11"

Given this band's release history over the past couple of years I would expect the DVD in this package to be a DVDA! Here's hoping.:banana:

Musictap is reporting that a new Flaming Lips album is due to be realesed soon.

To quote: "Warner Brothers will release a new album from The Flaming Lips called Christmas on Mars. That album is will be a CD/DVD issue and will release on November 11"

Given this band's release history over the past couple of years I would expect the DVD in this package to be a DVDA! Here's hoping.:banana:

The DVD is actually the movie - long in production, a bizarre (of course) home made sci fi epic that they have been playing to audiences recently in concert. The actual release is DVD/CD - DVD of the movie - most certainly in surround ( most likely just Dolby but one can always hope for more). The CD is the movie soundtrack of course - beware...listening to Soft Bulletin or Yoshimi is one thing but from the little I've seen of Christmas on Mars, it makes "Eraserhead" seem cohesive by comparison. You can check out the trailer here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5_AJ8WTDAY

I think of "Christmas on Mars" as the Flaming Lips' version of "Vileness Fats."

J. D.

(Hey! Post #300 for me. I'm a star!)

Talking about the Flaming Lips.

Has anybody ever linked up the 4 discs from Zaireeka into a sync'ed up octophonic program (i.e. laid em all down sync'ed em all up and printed it all out on DTS or SRD or DA-88 or anything) and played it for people?

I cheated with Zaireeka and mixed each CD down to mono then created a quad DVDA. It was the only way I could conceive of hearing it anywhere near the way that the band intended, I mean who has four sound systems that can be placed in the same room and three friends that are willing to push the play button in sync?

Anyway, the result was interesting but somewhat underwhelming due to the material itself. Not something I'll be playing often.

for those interested in things like this, Conrad Schnitzler has also done something like this. I'm awaiting the arrival of the 4 CD-Rs from him, and will report back on it after I have a chance to try it out.

I cheated with Zaireeka and mixed each CD down to mono then created a quad DVDA. It was the only way I could conceive of hearing it anywhere near the way that the band intended, I mean who has four sound systems that can be placed in the same room and three friends that are willing to push the play button in sync?

Anyway, the result was interesting but somewhat underwhelming due to the material itself. Not something I'll be playing often.
A buddy of mine (plus his sister) and I (plus Mrs. Baggins) did it with the LPs. The album doesn't require good syncing, similar systems or even for the systems to be in the same room. The more chaos you introduce in to playback, the better, per some comments made by Wayne Coyne. He used to hand out cassette tapes, each containing different multitrack elements of a song, at automobile meetups in parking garages, to be played on as many car decks as possible, blasting with the car windows down. Zaireeka is pretty sane compared to that. Anyway, I've also heard a perfectly synced FLAC version, mixed in to 4.0 from CD rips and it's cool too.

Last edited:
Back