HiRez Poll Flaming Lips - SOFT BULLETIN [DVD-A]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the DVD-A of Flaming Lips - SOFT BULLETIN

• Total voters

Titch

Been wondering whether to obtain a copy of this, or not. Quite a few people here and over at Steve Hoffmann have described the mix as sounding distorted and compressed. The original CD from 1999 is very brickwalled. I'm not really a fan of distorted and compressed-sounding music, no matter how adventurous the 5.1 mix is. Otherwise, I absolutely love the album and have done so, since it was NME's Album Of The Year in 1999!

humprof

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Been wondering whether to obtain a copy of this, or not. Quite a few people here and over at Steve Hoffmann have described the mix as sounding distorted and compressed. The original CD from 1999 is very brickwalled. I'm not really a fan of distorted and compressed-sounding music, no matter how adventurous the 5.1 mix is. Otherwise, I absolutely love the album and have done so, since it was NME's Album Of The Year in 1999!
Get it! I think the distortion--on both the stereo and 5.1 versions--was deliberate. It's just part of the band's aesthetic.

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
The 5.1 is slightly less fatiguing than the stereo, to my ears at least. It’s definitely worth having if you love the album.

Scott M4

500 Club - QQ All-Star
The vocals on the first track are way too quiet for me, but it gets better as it goes. The sound is just as grotty as the stereo.

Last edited:

Tres Discrete

QQ Supporter
Somewhat ashamed to admit that I am only discovering this album now - and actually worked “She Don’t Use Jelly” as a Warner Bros Records promo mgr - but left WB. just before this album came out.
Startling on every level - majestic and intimate at the same time. The mere fact it exists in surround makes it a 10 all the way 👍🏼

Tres Discrete

QQ Supporter
Somewhat ashamed to admit that I am only discovering this album now - and actually worked “She Don’t Use Jelly” as a Warner Bros Records promo mgr - but left WB. just before this album came out.
Startling on every level - majestic and intimate at the same time. The mere fact it exists in surround makes it a 10 all the way 👍🏼
Update: just rummaged through some old stuff and realized I must have gotten an advance copy of this just before I left but never listened to it…like a schmuck 🤦🏻B09170B5-2625-4C82-A4FA-10302963E90D.jpeg