HiRez Poll Flaming Lips - SOFT BULLETIN [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Flaming Lips - SOFT BULLETIN

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this DVD-A disc! (y) :phones (n)

Attachments

• lips-front.jpg
    lips-front.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 565
  • lips-back.jpg
    lips-back.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 561
Wow, no reviews on this yet?? I got about 75% of the way through it so far - it's definitely a wild mix, on par with the Yoshimi disc. Gonna take some time to fully digest it, I think! :mad:@:

Another stunning mix. Makes me wonder who learned what from whom when they worked with Elliot Scheiner on Yoshimi. The decision on whether to get this is pretty clear: If you dug Yoshimi you won’t be disappointed. For those on the board who didn’t, this won’t make you a convert. I give SB a bit of a nod for songwriting, although Yoshimi offered more extras. This one "only" has two videos and seven add’l stereo audio tracks, but also offers a similar animated “blip-blop” treatment of the whole thing in DD 5.1 (my favorite extra as before. fun stuff!). Compatibility issues aside (covered in other threads), I give it a 10 just as I gave Yoshimi. When it comes to surround, the Lips “get it”, and we are all the richer for it.

Added scans (to post #1) - Found mine at the locat BB. They actually had TWO COPIES!!!

Circuit City is selling this for $13.99 if you can find a copy. Picked one up today. Cool mix--very aggressive. I'd give it a 10, but I find the sound quality a bit harsh and grating, so I'll give it a 9.

This disc is absolutely amazing. The fidelity is out of this world, the mix is discrete as hell, and you're just able to hear stuff that you couldn't hear on the CD. Hands down one of the best DVD-As I've ever heard. An easy 10.

A great job by the Flaming Lips. This album is the 90s "Pet Sounds" and the 5.1 mix does nothing but make it 100 times better.

One note about the track order for the album. When this album first came out in 1999, the US and UK CD releases had different track lists. For this package, the DVD-Audio disc's tracklist (shown on the back) is the UK CD tracklist without the three mixes at the end and with "The Spiderbite Song" and "Buggin'" added in their place. The CD disc in this package however, is simply a reissue of the 1999 US CD, and thus has the original US CD tracklist instead of the one shown on the back. The US CD tracklist is as follows:

1. "Race for the Prize" (remix) (4:09)
2. "A Spoonful Weighs a Ton" (3:32)
3. "The Spark That Bled" (5:55)
4. "The Spiderbite Song" (4:02)
5. "Buggin'" (3:16)
6. "What is the Light?" (4:05)
7. "The Observer" (4:11)
8. "Waitin' for a Superman" (4:17)
9. "Suddenly Everything Has Changed" (3:54)
10. "The Gash" (4:02)
11. "Feeling Yourself Disintegrate" (5:17)
12. "Sleeping on the Roof" (3:09)
13. "Race for the Prize" (4:18)
14. "Waitin' for a Superman" (remix, featuring Scott Bennett on bass) (4:19)

Last edited:
Just gave this one a spin and I just have to say WOW! "The Soft Bulletin" has to mark the greatest difference between a stereo mix and a surround mix for any single title I have ever heard. The surround mix is a complete deconstruction and reconstruction of this title. The end result is something both very familiar and totally alien compared to the original. I was just familiar enough with the stereo mix of "The Soft Bulletin" to find myself completely disoriented in the jarring multi-monophonic environment of the surround mix. All the musical elements are laid raw, bare and left hanging out there naked with nowhere to hide. There is just enough "mixing" to lend personality to the individual songs, but this is just about as naked a surround mix as you're apt to find anywhere. And I love it. I absolutely adore the discomforting alien familiarity that is the organized chaos of the surround mix. Audiophiles and "recreation of the acoustical event" fanatics stay away. Stay far, far away.

It is interesting to listen to the Lips as they unwind their catalog into surround-sound in reverse order. "Yoshimi" was a masterstroke in surround, while still retaining all the experimental elements inherent in The Lips' work. "The Soft Bulletin" continues this devolution into their more experimental and chaotic past. What really lights my fire, though, is anticipation for this trajectory into the past to continue with the promised release of "Zaireeka" on DVD. "Zaireeka" was where the Lips' surround experimentation started (commercially, anyway, since "The Parking Lot Experiments" is where it really began). Anyway, a single blurb in "The Soft Bulletin" liner notes almost made me wet my pants: "...a whole other complicated tale that will be explained when Zaireeka is made to DVD". Yow. It will be interesting to see how The Lips' decide to present their octophonic acoustic social experiment.

In the meantime... "The Soft Bulletin" in surround is sure to keep me fidgeting blissfully in my seat. Nine enthusastic points here.

I actually played Yoshimi for the first time in months last night and didn't realize how good it sounds. How does SB compare, muscially?

IMHO Soft Bulletin is superior musically - no doubt that it is the Flaming Lips - a bit more orchestral - the 5.1 mix is as adventurous as Yohimi if not more so - it does expose however the analog nature of some of the synthy string sounds that somehow sound more softened on the CD - nevertheless - a worthwhile purchase - even with all of the DD/Video glitches that people are experiencing with SB.(y)

The thing that makes what the Lips do so interesting is their complete and utter abandonment of "what is right" and "what is expected".
A lot of what they do in their MC mixes makes absolutely no sense from a musical/arrangement perspective which is precisely why they are gods! :D
Onto ZAIREEKA!!!!

I have it just have not had a chance to listen to it yet. the anticipation from the review is just so great. i loved Yoshimi, This sound like a completely off the wall mix as well great just what 5.1 is all about.

Well I have had a chance to listen to the disc properly and

Wwwwoooooooo

Completely of the wall stuff happening all the time. the mix bares scant resemblace to the stereo mix.

If you loved Yoshimi you'll love this if you didnt then you dont like fun mixes.

nice touch having the original CD version as well. 3 differant mixes of the album in one package.

maximum score for this i am afraid

DrMabuse2001 said:
The thing that makes what the Lips do so interesting is their complete and utter abandonment of "what is right" and "what is expected".
A lot of what they do in their MC mixes makes absolutely no sense from a musical/arrangement perspective which is precisely why they are gods! :D
Onto ZAIREEKA!!!!

I am not a musician and couldn't arrange anything musically but I agree based on my only experience with them, my recently acquired Yoshimi DVD-A. I will pick this one up as well but I am glad other music acts aren't copying this silly music, it is best with very little exposure in my opinion. This isn't ground breaking music but more of a novelty, entertaining and fun but only when done on a very limited basis. I listened to the brief 29 second snippets of each online before buying Yoshimi first because I thought it was better but couldn't really convince myself I would like either. Now I am confident I will like "The Soft Bulletin" but it will likely be my last from this group.

Chris

I like the songs on this disc more than Yoshi...
But I think Yoshi sounds much better

Speaking as someone who had never listened to the Flaming Lips until a couple weeks ago (thanks to fellow QQ member Dennis Mabry), I must say this music is not for everyone. DEFINITELY DIFFERENT, but I find myself completely enamored, unable to pull away. The orchestral arrangements are simply gorgeous.

I gave it an 8 (instead of a 10) for the following reasons:
1. This is very unusual music and might be an acquired taste for some.
2. After listening closely, I played Yoshimi and it was immediately apparent, in my opinion, that the sound quality of Yoshimi is much better. I'm assuming Elliot Scheiner is the difference.
3. Although my $130 Pioneer 578A has not had the noted problems with this disc (or any other discs so far), there are some annoying pops in "Suddenly Everything Has Changed". I don't know if it's my system, my disc, or if it's supposed to be that way. Anyone?
4. Other than that, THIS DISC IS A SURROUND SOUND TRIP!

I guess one more reason to not give it a 10 is, if Yoshimi sets the standard on how many extras a DVDA can have, SB doesn't have as many. It still has a lot more than most, though.

I know I'm wordy, but let me end by saying I wouldn't want anyone to pass up this disc because of ratings less than 10. On the other hand, I wouldn't want someone who's never heard the Flaming Lips to buy it and wonder what universe they've slipped into!:alienrob:

Paul

Just listened to this for the first time. For me it isn't nearly as much fun as Yoshimi but I am going to wait before voting. I need to figure out if I have the CD with a goof now.

Back