HiRez Poll Flaming Lips - SOFT BULLETIN [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Flaming Lips - SOFT BULLETIN

• Total voters
I've had Yoshimi and Mystics for a while, but for some reason I never picked this one up - so I was psyched to find a copy for $5 last weekend. It would appear that the previous owner was a huge Lips fan, as I found a concert ticket tucked between two pages of the booklet:

View attachment 43048

I need to listen further, but so far I'm a bit disappointed - I don't like the songs, mix, or overall sound quality nearly as much as Yoshimi or Mystics. This is far and away the absolute loudest surround mix I've ever encountered. Whatever artistic goal they were going for with the distortion just isn't working for me.

"Race For The Prize":
View attachment 43049

Oh wow, I was at that show!

I've had Yoshimi and Mystics for a while, but for some reason I never picked this one up - so I was psyched to find a copy for $5 last weekend. It would appear that the previous owner was a huge Lips fan, as I found a concert ticket tucked between two pages of the booklet:

View attachment 43048

I need to listen further, but so far I'm a bit disappointed - I don't like the songs, mix, or overall sound quality nearly as much as Yoshimi or Mystics. This is far and away the absolute loudest surround mix I've ever encountered. Whatever artistic goal they were going for with the distortion just isn't working for me.

"Race For The Prize":
View attachment 43049

I actually like the tunes on this album a lot--I think of Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi as a matched pair. But yeah...it's crazy loud, and the mix crosses the line from delightfully wacky and eccentric to slightly overboard. I've read that Fridman sort of "studied" under Scheiner on Yoshimi, and he clearly learned some things from the master. But I think he went a little bit nuts on this, his first solo outing. A couple of tracks, though, like "Spiderbite Song" and "Buggin," I think are really good.

Anyway: five bucks!!! And how cool is that ticket stub?

I need to give Soft Bulletin another listen, but all I recall about my initial listen is the shit, highly compressed DR. Absolutely love Yoshimi, so here’s to Mr. Scheiner yet again!

One of the very very very very few releases on this site I may give a ten. Because not only do they have to be a 10/10 musically (I've only rated just over 30 albums 10/10 on my rateyourmusic account), they have to have a phenomenal mix, and I will have to say, this is one of em. It's my third favorite album of all time, and this mix totally does it justice. It's inventive, daring and fun as hell. Legitimately makes the music even better (theres only 1 or 2 releases I will say that about). I honestly have no idea why this isn't rated as highly as yoshimi. Sure it's a loud mix, and I hate the loudness war just as much as any of you here, but it's so hard to deny how amazing all of the daring production choices and music is.

I think the main thing that separates this release from yoshimi and at war with the mystics is the music. While I will say that at war with the mystics is incredibly underrated by most of the world and I wholly give the music a 8/10, the mix is still on par with this one (10/10 mix). Similar story wish yoshimi (except it has almost as much love for the music as the soft bulletin), where the music is a 9/10 and the mix is a 10/10. The soft bulletin is perfect musically and I rated the music a 10/10 and the same goes for the mix. The only other albums I can say the same about is async (surround) by ryuichi sakamoto, wish you were here, avalon, and vespertine by bjork.

It's a shame some of the lips' other work, mainly embryonic, wasn't treated with a 5.1 mix (especially since it was released as a stereo dvd-a!).

Phenomenal mix and album
10/10

btw I mentioned my rym account, you can find it here if you'd like: https://rateyourmusic.com/~RelentlesSausage

young Master Sausage thinks so far by skimming through a bit of it (haven't listened to the whole thing yet) that it's really aggressive mixing as I would expect from a official flaming lips mix. Not only that, I might even prefer this to the mixes on the soft bulletin, yoshimi and at war with the mystics. Really is a damn shame there isn't an official "Embryonic 5.1" because this is absolutely bonkers, maybe even essential.

Thank you so much for letting me know of the existence of this!

Do watch Baggy's video--and if you're a completist, track down UFOs at the Zoo, Christmas on Mars, and (especially) the VOID video collection.

Do watch Baggy's video--and if you're a completist, track down UFOs at the Zoo, Christmas on Mars, and (especially) the VOID video collection.
I already own yoshimi, soft bulletin, mystics and embryonic on dvd-a. Meant to complete the collection with those but I think I gotta buy those three now ;).

Also wanted to note that while the embryonic 5.1 mix isn't ultra dynamic by any means, it's not nearly as compressed as the other releases. DR10 from foo_dynamic_range. Not too shabby huh.

EDIT: I did watch baggy's video, really enjoyed it and found it informative.

Not to say anyone is right or wrong, but I emailed Flaming Lips manager Scott Booker in January of 2018 about Embryonic:
"Unfortunately, we never did a 5.1 of Embryonic! We would have released it if we did!!
Best,
SDB"

Been wondering whether to obtain a copy of this, or not. Quite a few people here and over at Steve Hoffmann have described the mix as sounding distorted and compressed. The original CD from 1999 is very brickwalled. I'm not really a fan of distorted and compressed-sounding music, no matter how adventurous the 5.1 mix is. Otherwise, I absolutely love the album and have done so, since it was NME's Album Of The Year in 1999!

Been wondering whether to obtain a copy of this, or not. Quite a few people here and over at Steve Hoffmann have described the mix as sounding distorted and compressed. The original CD from 1999 is very brickwalled. I'm not really a fan of distorted and compressed-sounding music, no matter how adventurous the 5.1 mix is. Otherwise, I absolutely love the album and have done so, since it was NME's Album Of The Year in 1999!

Get it! I think the distortion--on both the stereo and 5.1 versions--was deliberate. It's just part of the band's aesthetic.

The 5.1 is slightly less fatiguing than the stereo, to my ears at least. It’s definitely worth having if you love the album.

The vocals on the first track are way too quiet for me, but it gets better as it goes. The sound is just as grotty as the stereo.

Last edited:
Somewhat ashamed to admit that I am only discovering this album now - and actually worked “She Don’t Use Jelly” as a Warner Bros Records promo mgr - but left WB. just before this album came out.
Startling on every level - majestic and intimate at the same time. The mere fact it exists in surround makes it a 10 all the way 👍🏼

Somewhat ashamed to admit that I am only discovering this album now - and actually worked “She Don’t Use Jelly” as a Warner Bros Records promo mgr - but left WB. just before this album came out.
Startling on every level - majestic and intimate at the same time. The mere fact it exists in surround makes it a 10 all the way 👍🏼
Update: just rummaged through some old stuff and realized I must have gotten an advance copy of this just before I left but never listened to it…like a schmuck 🤦🏻B09170B5-2625-4C82-A4FA-10302963E90D.jpeg

Back