HiRez Poll Flaming Lips - YOSHIMI BATTLES THE PINK ROBOTS [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Flaming Lips - YOSHIMI BATTLES THE PINK ROBOTS

• Total voters
My vote calculation is based on the recommended voting framework on the forum:
Surround Mix (30%) = 10
Audio Fidelity (30%) = 9
Content (30%) = 9.5
Overall Package (10%) = 10
TOTAL = 9.55 (Rounded up to 10)

SURROUND MIX: 10
It is one of the most immersive and discrete surround mixes out there. I love it.
It was one of my first surround listens (if not the first) and it blew me away. For a long time I was expecting all surround mixes to be as "crazy" as this one and I was disappointed by a lot of tame mixes that are just projecting some instruments to the rears. I then understood that not all have to be like this. But just wow!

AUDIO FIDELITY: 9
I like what I hear. Yes, there is a lot of bass, but it fits the music. There is some compression and depending on your ear, you might find that the dynamic range is not perfect. But it sounds very good to me.

CONTENT: 9.5
Awesome album. Just a little bit short of being a masterpiece of contemporary music.
Just some background; my favourite music genre is Progressive Rock with Pink Floyd being my favourite band. For some reason, more than 15 years ago, Amazon suggested that I would like to buy this album. I bought the CD after reading some reviews and wanting to listen to new music and then I was hooked; the themes, lyrics, music, etc. are just outside of this world.

OVERALL PACKAGE: 10
I have the DVD-A. I got it back in 2008 for $20 USD. What a bargain!
Besides the regular album, you have the videos, different mixes and a nice booklet with very good liner notes.

RESULT: 10
100% recommended. It's great to show someone that is new to surround mixes what is possible.
I understand some might find the music "weird" but I cannot stop recommending this album to everyone. Specially the surround mix.

I bought the standard CD and didn't make it past the second song. They wouldn't know a good melody if it hit them in the rear with a Semi-truck, so I definitely won't order this one. It supposedly had "massive" amounts of deep bass, which is why I bought it. That's not my idea of massive bass. I'll give it one more try though.

Picked this up for under $20 on ebay. Well worth it. The mix is whimsical and fun, kinda like the music. It is definitely a product of the time in which it was made and is therefore loud/compressed, but I really don't care. The only time that's really annoying is in Yoshimi Pt. 2 with the cymbals going all around you. But the mix itself does everything it should. Lots of movement of all the instruments, particularly the drums. Like I said, a lot of fun. A 10 from me.

Schmuck alert: bought this a year or 2 ago but never listened to it.
It took their upcoming show in Joisey this week to get me to finally play it.
3 times in a row. Plus the videos. Now I see what the fuss is all about.
Spoken like a true New Joiseyan. I need to revisit this title as I haven't touched it in quite a number of years. Say, does Godzilla make an appearance somewhere on this disc?

Schmuck alert: bought this a year or 2 ago but never listened to it.
It took their upcoming show in Joisey this week to get me to finally play it.
3 times in a row. Plus the videos. Now I see what the fuss is all about.
By the way - If The Flaming Lips play your town - just buy a ticket and go - no questions asked, do not pass Go, run-don’t walk.
You’ll be glad you did.
Very uplifting & lots of fun…qualities which can seem to be in short supply these days 🤩

Last edited:
By the way - If The Flaming Lips play your town - just buy a ticket and go - no questions asked, do not pass Go, run-don’t walk.
You’ll be glad you did.
Very uplifting & lots of fun…qualities which can seem to be in short supply these days 🤩
If it wasn’t for your post that I read on Friday, I wouldn’t have checked if they would be playing in Toronto any time soon. And I found out that they were going to play yesterday here and I was able to get a ticket!
I decided to stay out of social media and I almost missed the information about their tour.
It was my first time seeing them live and it was very fun. They have a great show with lights, lasers, inflatables, confetti, screens in the backgrounds and balls that they throw to the audience.

I took a picture when they were playing the tittle song of the album in this topic.
656737A7-B866-4655-ACA9-DC704D776660.jpeg

If it wasn’t for your post that I read on Friday, I wouldn’t have checked if they would be playing in Toronto any time soon. And I found out that they were going to play yesterday here and I was able to get a ticket!
I decided to stay out of social media and I almost missed the information about their tour.
It was my first time seeing them live and it was very fun. They have a great show with lights, lasers, inflatables, confetti, screens in the backgrounds and balls that they throw to the audience.

I took a picture when they were playing the tittle song of the album in this topic.
View attachment 84712
Awesome - glad my Public Service Announcement was put to use 📢 !!!
I have pretty much made up my mind to see them any & every time they are within a reasonable distance of me 😎

I came across this at a reasonable price in a second-hand store. I didn't know the musicians, but a short search on the internet (including this forum) convinced me enough to purchase. It has been a nice introduction. Not only the high-contrast, sometimes melancholic music, but certainly also the use of surround. A lot of attention has clearly been paid to this. I have enjoyed it several times and will definitely do so again. A 10.

I love to see a resurrected poll thread on an old title. Especially one i like. It often means someone else has discovered it.

I gave it a 9 long ago. It's an Elliott Scheiner mix. The mastering s brick walled. But its a great album with an awesome mix. Look for At War With the Mystics and The Soft Bulletin if you can find them. They are also quite good 😊

I gave it a 9 long ago. It's an Elliott Scheiner mix. The mastering s brick walled. But its a great album with an awesome mix. Look for At War With the Mystics and The Soft Bulletin if you can find them. They are also quite good 😊
The mastering is fine. Just a teeny bit of compression on the top. Hardly anything, especially compared to the stereo mix or the surround sound mixes of At War with the Mystics or The Soft Bulletin.

I love to see a resurrected poll thread on an old title. Especially one i like. It often means someone else has discovered it.

Thanks for your thoughts. I already came across those titles and am looking forward to them.

Back