HiRez Poll Flaming Lips - YOSHIMI BATTLES THE PINK ROBOTS [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Flaming Lips - YOSHIMI BATTLES THE PINK ROBOTS

• Total voters
Listening to this disc, for 2nd time today. I have it fairly cranked now. I gotta say...I absolutely LOVE the music. So interesting....and dreamy. OK, sounds pretty trippy. This is outstanding music, especially in surround. Can't imagine that it has the same impact in 2 channel stereo.... I can see this being on frequent rotation.

Third listen. Wow. I love this. So atmospheric.....surreal.....awesome. I can now see their influence on some newer bands.....Tame Impala is a classic example.....they clearly are very influenced by Flaming Lips.

I get it now....great band...way ahead of their time. This is a MUST own 5.1 disc.

Third listen. Wow. I love this. So atmospheric.....surreal.....awesome. I can now see their influence on some newer bands.....Tame Impala is a classic example.....they clearly are very influenced by Flaming Lips.

I get it now....great band...way ahead of their time. This is a MUST own 5.1 disc.
Don't forget Elliot Scheiner. A lot of the credit for this disc is definitely his.

A "10" all the way around. LOVE the music, and LOVE the 5.1, which is almost an entirely different experience from the stereo.

There aren't too many albums that you'd want mixed this way or that it would work for. With this album, however, it's all perfect.

Yeah, this is an exceedingly entertaining surround mix - playful, active and varied. The music is fun and poppy but nothing too special or clever to my ears. At first listen I was convinced the opening track would give co-credit to Cat Stevens' “Father and Son”. Evidently the similarity was unintentional and I later read on Wikipedia that “Stevens, now Yusuf Islam, is receiving royalties following a relatively uncontentious settlement.” An overly bright and compressed mastering spoils some of the fun for me. Thankfully the more sparsely arranged tunes are less harsh. I give it an overall “7”.

I can't believe I have never commented on this disc. It's certainly a keeper. Great sound great mix. Love the music.. Scored it a ten and I don't give many if any tens.

This is a case where I can completely overlook the compression. I mean, the music and surround gymnastics and really, crank-a-bility of this disc are over the top. LOVE it as well.

This one is a '9' for me.

After my second full listen-through this evening, I came to the same conclusion that I did after the first listen.
The material overall is actually very good, and I come away with a more positive impression of this band than I did after listening to "At War with the Mystics".

But the mix is not the kind of surround mix that I enjoy. This one's like "How much use can we get out of pan-pots in the span of 45 mins?"
No stereo mix would normally do that, and most of my favorite surround mixes aren't like that either.
This one at times just makes me dizzy!
I would still recommend the album however, particularly in the CD/DVD-A configuration.

This one is a '9' for me.

After my second full listen-through this evening, I came to the same conclusion that I did after the first listen.
The material overall is actually very good, and I come away with a more positive impression of this band than I did after listening to "At War with the Mystics".

But the mix is not the kind of surround mix that I enjoy. This one's like "How much use can we get out of pan-pots in the span of 45 mins?"
No stereo mix would normally do that, and most of my favorite surround mixes aren't like that either.
This one at times just makes me dizzy!
I would still recommend the album however, particularly in the CD/DVD-A configuration.

I love the mix but hate the compression. Type of music matches the agressive mix imo. Great stuff!

All this talk about The Flaming Lips these past two days or so made me realize I hadn't created a playlist for either album I have since I migrated to a new computer this last december...

That's at least 5 months of abstinence!! :confused: (taps a vein...) Yoshimi!! ANITA HIT!!!

It may be mixed somewhat in "the red zone" regarding levels, but Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots is a pure bliss to listen to...

To my taste, it deserves at least one more point than "At War with the Mystics", hmmm... reflecting on that; it deserves two more points than AWwtM.. one for sonics, and one for material.

(jury deliberates...)

hell with it... 10.. Sold !! to the fat guy in the tutu

:51banana:

...But the mix is not the kind of surround mix that I enjoy. This one's like "How much use can we get out of pan-pots in the span of 45 mins?"
This one at times just makes me dizzy!...

I totally understand where you're coming from, and I'm glad that most surround mixes are more tastefully and tactfully mixed, but I'm also glad that there are a few crazy, trippy, almost ridiculous surround mixes like this out there. It does kinda screw with your head after a while though, but I think it's fun to have my head screwed with every once in a while. ;)

My only real disappointment is the squished dynamic range, but if I turn it down a bit, it doesn't get fatiguing. It would be a 10 for me if it wasn't so compressed, so I'll give 'er a 9.

I totally understand where you're coming from, and I'm glad that most surround mixes are more tastefully and tactfully mixed, but I'm also glad that there are a few crazy, trippy, almost ridiculous surround mixes like this out there. It does kinda screw with your head after a while though, but I think it's fun to have my head screwed with every once in a while. ;)

I agree. I view this as basically an "experimental" mix. In other words, they said, let's see how far we can push the boundaries of this new (at the time) format.

I'm sure at the time when PF's DSOTM was released in 4.0 there were some who said, what the hell is this, it makes me dizzy (like the beginning of Time always does for me), but I believe PF were experimenting also, they just had more taste (The English way) than the Flaming Lips.

I find this mix much like Linkin Park's ReAnimation, which seems experimental to me also and how far they could push the boundaries.

Seeing this post come back to life made me realize I've never voted on this one.

Lets see, to recap the previous posts,

compression... check
audacious mix ... check

If I were to stop there I'd be at a 5 or so. But this disk excels in the content category, not only musically but with the videos and extras, so I'm at an 8 minimum. And once I throw in a point for being so over the top fun to play I'm at a 9. Highly recommended, as are the other two FL DVD-A's.

It about GawtDanged time Baggy vote on this one. It a perennial favorite. Baggy never tire of teh Yosh.
It batshit, fukken bonkers. It push that boundary. But it duz it like a BAWS. You must respect the Yosh or you must suk it.
Copious extras. Scheiner mix. Hi-rez. The strongest possible "10."

I've known and loved the stereo mix since it first came out and today heard the 5.1 for the first time - TOALLY MENTAL, LOVE IT!!

I think surround was created for this album to be played. Yes, it's totally mad, but fits the music so well and totally enhances the original - lots more going on than I've heard previously. I was literally LMAO with the audacity of it all, which started with the drums going from speaker-to-speaker, clockwise in the opening track.

Want to demo 5.1, this is the disc.

This is a demo disc for me. Really amazing. I'd never heard any of their music until I bought this blindly a few years ago after seeing it talked about here. I quickly ordered their other 2 titles not long after. Great disc and amazing songs.

I fell in love with this album back when it first came out. Even with it's brickwalled distortion the music was just so cool. I recently got the DVD-A and can honestly say that this is the one album that deserves the hyperbolic recommendation that "If you've never heard it in surround, then you've never heard it". The mix is wonderfully inventive and aggressive, and to anyone who complained about the fidelity, my guess is that you never had to endure the CD. This DVD-A is reference material compared to the compact disc. Sure, it's not smooth like "Gaucho", but this music doesn't call for that.

Yep, this mix is completely crazy, in the best possible way. I love it. One of the more trippy, swirly mixes ever! :cool:

Back