HiRez Poll Flaming Lips - YOSHIMI BATTLES THE PINK ROBOTS [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Flaming Lips - YOSHIMI BATTLES THE PINK ROBOTS

• Total voters
Very good album. When I hear it at full volume, my parents tell me "but what are you listening to?", they say it for some songs like YBTPR PT.2.

But hey, in my opinion I consider it a fantastic mix. I would like a future, all the works of the Scheiner come out in Blu-Ray, with LPCM 5.1 like those of Steven Wilson, since I do not have a DVD-A player. :(

The songs that I hear most are:

Fight Test (from the beginning you know it will be a super fun mix)
Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Pt.1 (excellent, this is the first I heard of them)
In the Morning of the Magicians (my favorite)
Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell
Do You Realize (the best mix in 5.1 of the disc)

Mix: 10/10
Fidelity: 9/10

I like the bits of psychedelia a lot. The repetitious pop stuff not so much. Some of the catchy elements are pretty cool though just the same. The mix is just gloves off playful insanity and really fun to hear for a song or two at a time though and worth having for that no matter who you are! Nothing refined or high fidelity. More guttural lo-fi and distorted elements in your face but presented in a full fidelity kind of way if that makes sense. Drums just slammed and mono and then that pans around the room in circles in some parts, for example. Has to be heard to be believed. I wish more surround mixes had fun like this! I think they mentioned in the liner notes of not being very impressed with some of the polite surround mixes they had heard and wanted to do something completely off the wall. They sure did! The stereo mix wouldn't be able to capture any of this and pretty much makes it that this album only truly exists in surround. Had this for a few years and never even had the urge to listen to the stereo mix.

Last edited:
This is one of the best, most active, discrete surround mixes I've ever heard. Just a total masterpiece of surround mixing. On top of that, the fidelity is excellent and the music is a magical mix of pop excellence, electronic wonder and rock majesty. A must have. 10.

(Copied and Pasted from my "At War With The Mystics" Review)

The only negative for Yoshimi is that I have to dial the volume down by 4 to 5 dB from my usual listening level. Clarity is great and it's an amazingly wild mix. The tunes are mostly very good -- my favorite of the Flaming Lips surround releases. Have to knock off a point for the over-compression which makes it an 8. Still, a must-have surround disc.

And a big plus for this title; you can still find a used copy cheap.

One of the first discs I've bought after reading these polls. Indeed, the first disc I've bought that I already owned a regular stereo version. I'm delighted. The mix befits the material. I love it. The stereo CD is now for kitchen use only. My first 10. Thank you all for your recommendations.

Are all channels of this compressed or just the front left and right speakers?

A fun project you might try sometime... I took the three songs Yoshimi Parts 1 & 2 and "In The Morning of the Magicians" and used Audacity to make them into 1 track... but I always felt that Yoshimi part 2, which I interpret to be "the battle", is a little underwhelming as presented on the album... so I raised the overall levels of that track relative to the other 2 (maintaining smooth transitions), but more importantly I cranked the LFE up a bit on that section... now when I listen to what I call the "Yoshimi Medley", that battle section really kicks some ass, rattling the room with those low frequencies! I'll say it again if I havn't already... this album is essential surround!

I still remember the day I first got this disc.

At the time around 2 years ago or so, I only had 3 disc's. Brother's in Arms, DSOTM and Stupid Dream. I was going to my local record store, Ameoba Records in SF. I went to the back in the audiophile section in attempt to find some surround disc's with good content for a fair price. Right at the front there was Yoshimi 5.1 for something like $10. I had heard the title track on this thing years ago and thought it'd sound great in 5.1, so I decided to buy it.

When I got back home with this thing, I put it into my player and decided to play it in full with the bleep bloop visualizations (which are fantastic btw). After the whole thing finished I was absolutely floored by the level of beauty and creativity with the surround and just full experience of this disc. This thing is so incredibly directional, discrete, daring and creative all while still sounding balanced, together and actually mixed together. That's an insane feat to do. Even Elliot Scheiner said it was his most ambitious project by a long shot, and it shows.

Even now after hearing over 150 multichannel albums, this is still my favorite surround mix, and my favorite overall surround package. That's by a decent margin too. I've been making a ranking list (still work in progress) of 5.1 music and stuff over on rym , and it's still at the top after all these years. I come back to this disc very often or well, my 5.1 flac's on foobar2000. Same difference though haha.

This disc will always be special to me. While I prefer the music of The Soft Bulletin, as an overall package, this is still my favorite disc.

Back