"Fleetwood Mac" (1975 S/T Album) Deluxe Edition with 5.1 surround DVD!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still digesting this. First impressions (to my tastes):

Mix: Very good. Discrete, open, and revealing as compared to the stereo mix.

Clarity: Very good, especially considering the lossy encoding. Sounds great played loud.

Tonality: The surround mix is too “fat”, with emphasis in the bass. Especially when compared to the stereo mix. Anyone else feel this way, or is it me? Overall the tonality is smooth and easily corrected. Sounds much better with 3-5 dB bass cut.

still waiting and drooling, especially after reading this:)
I can't answer your question yet but my Mofi lp has some major booty kickin' drums and bass, seriously earth shaking at hi fi:)

Tonality: The surround mix is too “fat”, with emphasis in the bass. Especially when compared to the stereo mix. Anyone else feel this way, or is it me? Overall the tonality is smooth and easily corrected. Sounds much better with 3-5 dB bass cut.

Good comments sbrom. Your observation on tonality is possibly a matter of taste and/or speaker/subwoofer placement. I prefer the "beefy" sounding mix of the 5.1. Few mixes will have a tonal balance that satisfies everyone. Fortunately most can be adjusted to taste with judicious use of the tone controls. (And dare I say volume levels of the surrounds as well?) It took me years to get over the obsession to always keep the tone controls in the flat position...In fact I still get a bit hissy when I forget to put them all back to "flat" at the end of listening to an album.

Good comments sbrom. Your observation on tonality is possibly a matter of taste and/or speaker/subwoofer placement. I prefer the "beefy" sounding mix of the 5.1. Few mixes will have a tonal balance that satisfies everyone. Fortunately most can be adjusted to taste with judicious use of the tone controls. (And dare I say volume levels of the surrounds as well?) It took me years to get over the obsession to always keep the tone controls in the flat position...In fact I still get a bit hissy when I forget to put them all back to "flat" at the end of listening to an album.

Thanks, and I agree with you. I have no issue using tone controls to adjust to taste :)

My AVR is setup to flatten tone controls and set a baseline with a single button press. Works out very nicely.

I sent a note thanking Rhino for releasing this set but imploring them to do future 5.1 productions in lossless formats. I also said that I would buy a standalone Blu-ray audio of FM should it ever become available.

Rhino customer service responded to me stating that, "Unfortunately, we don't have this information available." But they told me to contact Dr. Rhino ([email protected]). Is he Foraging Rhino on our forum? Anyway, I did write him an email that covered everything I wanted to say including a blurb about the CTA Blu-ray audio smoking the DTS version.

Come on kids. Keeps those cards and letters coming.

French Kiss is Awwwwwwwwwwwesome - One of Snoods fave growing up albums.........played it over and and over and over and still do at times :banana:

Geeez remember that becuz Hotel Cali 76 was out and so was Rumours & French Kiss.....shit Bat Out of Hell, Billy Joel The Stranger, Saturday Night Fever, News of The World, Grand Illusion, Point of No Return, Love Gun, Eddie Money 1st, Foreigner 1st, Out Of The Blue, Commodores (Easy & Brickhouse), Book of Dreams, Running on Empty, Aja, Animals............ those are just a few and only the ones Snood listened to at the time - Snood was a young Snood.......got into a lot of others later but Wow

Holy sheeeeeeeeeeeeet all that in 1 year - we will never ever see anything like that time in music again. :howl
Those were indeed the good old days.

French Kiss is Awwwwwwwwwwwesome - One of Snoods fave growing up albums.........played it over and and over and over and still do at times :banana:

Geeez remember that becuz Hotel Cali 76 was out and so was Rumours & French Kiss.....shit Bat Out of Hell, Billy Joel The Stranger, Saturday Night Fever, News of The World, Grand Illusion, Point of No Return, Love Gun, Eddie Money 1st, Foreigner 1st, Out Of The Blue, Commodores (Easy & Brickhouse), Book of Dreams, Running on Empty, Aja, Animals............ those are just a few and only the ones Snood listened to at the time - Snood was a young Snood.......got into a lot of others later but Wow

Holy sheeeeeeeeeeeeet all that in 1 year - we will never ever see anything like that time in music again. :howl

And how about the Concert Tours of '76! My brother took me (at the young age of 10) to the Elton John concert at Schaefer Stadium in Foxborough on July 4, for the "Bicentennial Concert" where he had Dave Mason and John Miles open for him. Three weeks later my brother was back at Schaefer to see the Eagles, Boz Scaggs and Fleetwood Mac put on a show on July 25. General Admission ($10) for both concerts. What a year, indeed.

Still digesting this. First impressions (to my tastes):
Mix: Very good. Discrete, open, and revealing as compared to the stereo mix.
Clarity: Very good, especially considering the lossy encoding. Sounds great played loud.

I would like to backup this and other comments that very much match my opinions on this. I LOVE this album, always have, and to finally have the Ken C mix available to me, is wonderful. I need to do more listening to compare it to the 96/24 stereo version, but I would agree that the mix is very nice and very enjoyable. I'd also agree it's a bit bass heavy, though it works well with the toms in "I'm So Afraid" but they kind of overdid them on Warm Ways IMO! Considering this is a Dolby Digital 5.1 mix, it really is quite amazing how decent this does sound, over-heavy bass and slight lack of top end clarity aside (it's really not that bad)!

To the Dolby Digital argument, I have to say, I LOVE hi-res multichannel mixes and regularly buy BluRay Audio discs and always look to get my hands on the highest possible quality format of something, and am REALLY disappointed in the fact that they chose to deliver the multichannel mix in this way! The 96/24 2.0 audio quality is much nicer, and I would really love to have that quality, on the 5.1 mix!! (I *will* mail Warner/Rhino (and I won't rant, it's counter-productive IMO), but I will express my deep disappointment with their decision!). So whilst I really do not like the fact we "only" have the DD 5.1 mix (BTW, it's in 448kBit and I have seen 640Kbit used in the past but it's confusingly/apparently, it's not actually in the DVD specs), it *does* sounds half decent, all things considering, and is still definitely worth having and is still a joy to listen to, at least on my system (which is budget/mid-range, but stands up well to properly expensive systems that I have listened to). My system will let me hear stuff in recordings that I can't hear on other systems, and really does make the higher quality releases shine - I love just sitting down and listening to "stuff"! :)

I manually ended up ripping the tracks of the DVD with dvdbackup, my other usual tools didn't work - they either didn't "understand" the DD audio stream for some reason, or, they extracted the correct number of tracks, but all the tracks except the last one were empty, and the whole album was as one track as the last track (for both the PCM and DD versions). There is definitely something odd about the production of this DVD, I've been ripping DVDs for years (and BluRays also) and never encountered this kind of problem. Anyway, dvdbackup was perfect, and I ended up with the raw VOBs per track, which I converted to WAVs (keeping the PCM and DD "inside" the WAV container untouched), and then onto FLACs (did the tagging manually). What I can say is that I hear no audible clipping on the tracks, the audio is as I said is actually not half bad, and looking at the tracks in Audacity confirms this, there is audibly and visually, nothing close to brickwalling or clipping, plenty of dynamic range, and I don't understand why Jon's screenshots show something quite different to what I have. I am fairly certain I have exactly what is on the disc, and that is nothing close to having clipping!

I think Rhino/Warner struggled with how to release this as:

1. "Most" people don't have a DVD-A player to play MLP so don't want to release the full-fat 96/24 5.1 on DVD-A
2. Most people DO have a DVD-V player but then you're limited to DD 2.0/5.1, DTS 2.0/5.1 (which would have been better (up to 96/24)), PCM up to 96/24 2.0, and I think, Mpeg2 Audio (which nobody ever really used).
3. "Many" people have a BluRay player, but probably, they didn't like the cost associated with producing it this way (though to me that seems crazy).

Surely 12 years after BluRay came out, and where you can if you want, buy a BR player for less than GBP/EUR/USD20, you can no longer use the availability of playback devices, as justification for this choice not to use a BluRay release!!??

Rumours came out on SACD, and I LOVE that album also (always have), and LOVE the 5.1 mix (and because it came off of SACD, is in "full-fat" 96/24 multichannel :D :D ). I think most mainstream labels see SACD as a dead format (which is *nearly* is, but as we all know, is limping along just enough to still be delivering decent, new content). If the Eagles can finally get round to re-releasing the 96/24 5.1 of Hotel California on BluRay audio, I don't see why Rumours wouldn't be given the same treatment, though I guess I could understand if they didn't want to take the risk on any other Fleetwood Mac albums like this one, but this was the perfect opportunity.

This might sound odd, but, I am hoping the reason is that they plan on "price gouging" their customers once more, for a later separate release of this on BluRay, so suckers like me, who *will* pay to get it, will go out and buy it yet again.... ;) :( (yes I'm a sucker, but life is too short... ;) )

Cheers,

Matt.

This might sound odd, but, I am hoping the reason is that they plan on "price gouging" their customers once more, for a later separate release of this on BluRay, so suckers like me, who *will* pay to get it, will go out and buy it yet again.... ;) :( (yes I'm a sucker, but life is too short... ;) )

yes, that does sound odd

do you feel the same way about every other consumer product you buy?

yes, that does sound odd

dont you? I am praising the day clothing shops will start selling their trousers and shirts in a combined package for a high price and reduced quality so maybe, just maybe, later on they will sell the trousers separately in decent quality. I always thought I was the only one, but looking at this thread, it seems to be a feature of surround sound lovers.

This might sound odd, but, I am hoping the reason is that they plan on "price gouging" their customers once more, for a later separate release of this on BluRay, so suckers like me, who *will* pay to get it, will go out and buy it yet again.... ;) :( (yes I'm a sucker, but life is too short... ;) )...

I even went as far as to tell Dr. Rhino in my recent email lamenting the use of lossless codecs to count me in should this title be released as a stand-alone BR-A. Eventually, one would be able to sell this box set to recoup some money.

yes, that does sound odd

That is all you can add to this new member's thoughtful post? Thanks for absolutely nothing.

dont you? I am praising the day clothing shops will start selling their trousers and shirts in a combined package for a high price and reduced quality so maybe, just maybe, later on they will sell the trousers separately in decent quality. I always thought I was the only one, but looking at this thread, it seems to be a feature of surround sound lovers.

What "feature" is that? Feel free to paint a broad brush over all the members of this forum.

I fear that if ForagingRhino does eventually read this thread he will think we're just a bunch of old yenta's.

Oh wait.............................:yikes

I fear that if ForagingRhino does eventually read this thread he will think we're just a bunch of old yenta's.

Oh wait.............................:yikes

Yep, it seems like many industry folks do not stay around here, and sometimes, I do not blame them one bit.
We’re mostly a bunch of crazies here, myself included. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back