Fleetwood Mac Atmos Mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac Tidal ID: 242378865
This one is really interesting, it almost feels like it was yanked out of the engineer's hands prior to completion. There are some cool moments (you can really hear the backing vocals in the rear speakers throughout "Monday Morning"), but others that feel like obvious mistakes. The lead guitar in "I'm So Afraid" is buried in the center speaker when it should be blasting at you. "Blue Letter" just sounds dead, devoid of any excitement. Sonics are rather poor as well, as if they used an inferior copy of the multitrack. There's a lot more tape hiss in "Warm Ways" and "Rhiannon" than I recall from either the original stereo or 5.1 remix.

This one is really interesting, it almost feels like it was yanked out of the engineer's hands prior to completion. There are some cool moments (you can really hear the backing vocals in the rear speakers throughout "Monday Morning"), but others that feel like obvious mistakes. The lead guitar in "I'm So Afraid" is buried in the center speaker when it should be blasting at you. "Blue Letter" just sounds dead, devoid of any excitement. Sonics are rather poor as well, as if they used an inferior copy of the multitrack. There's a lot more tape hiss in "Warm Ways" and "Rhiannon" than I recall from either the original stereo or 5.1 remix.
wish Apple would say who's mixing this stuff.. i wonder whether Ken Caillat is at all involved or consulted in the creation of any of these FM Atmos mixes? feels unlikely..

wish Apple would say who's mixing this stuff.. i wonder whether Ken Caillat is at all involved or consulted in the creation of any of these FM Atmos mixes? feels unlikely..

In Tidal there are up to three copies of “Fleetwood Mac Atmos” album. Good Tidal management, requesting the album upload from different sources? Nobody notice the duplication?

Two of them seems to be the same, but the third has more metadata values.

I have copied below some metadata tag values of interest of the first track: Monday Morning (Atmos mix)

Encoded date: UTC 2022-08-10 05:30:06

ISRC: USRH12203280 (The other copy has different ISRC)

Copyright: ℗ 1975 Warner Records Inc. 2017 Remastered Rhino Entertainment

Remastering Engineer: Dan Hersch

Audio Engineer: Keith Olsen

Audio Additional Mix Engineer: Bill Inglot / Brian Kehew

Recording Engineer: Keith Olsen

Second Engineer: David DeVore

@sjcorne Chris Jones mixed it. Mastered by Brad Blackwood.
I need to give it a better listen but agreed, my first impression was that something was odd.
Would it be worth it to start a new Fleetwood Mac thread for the new atmos mix?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220812-110336_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220812-110336_Instagram.jpg
    557.8 KB · Views: 0
@sjcorne Lindsey was involved too, it seems.
I'm wondering if they were mixed with a tilt more towards headphones; could be why they don't sound that great on an external speaker system. Just purely conjecture on my part, but could be one possibility :unsure:

Anyone listened on some good headphones? And I don't recall, are there specific Apple headphones that are supposed to be more compatible for Spatial Audio?

@sjcorne Chris Jones mixed it. Mastered by Brad Blackwood.
I need to give it a better listen but agreed, my first impression was that something was odd.
Would it be worth it to start a new Fleetwood Mac thread for the new atmos mix?
Well I will be the first ( and maybe only) to go on the record that I really liked it.

It seems many judge FM mixes harsher than most artists, but I guess I come in with the advantage of not being intimately familiar with the albums.

However I can expect comparisons against the Rumours 5.1, but I didn’t think any previous surround version existed of this one?

Wonder if Ken Caillat was involved with the much better Mirage Atmos mix, compared to the rather meh self titled/Rumours Atmos mixes? This video seems to have him listening to Gypsy in a rather cosy Atmos studio...

Can a Tidal user list the atmos engineers for each album? :dance
I didn't remember, but upthread I posted that Chris James mixed the self-titled from 1975. Just curious on who did which albums.

Back