HiRez Poll Fleetwood Mac - RUMOURS [DVD-A/SACD-JAPAN]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Fleetwood Mac - RUMOURS

• Total voters
I'd bet it is the purity of the LPCM stream over a conversion to DSD from that.
I would be there with you, except I experimented, rather extensively with this issue, when reviewing NIN The Downward Spiral. Once I set the SACD to output PCM, the discs sounded close enough to identical to fool me.
Doesn't mean that conversion isn't sometimes a factor. Just isn't sometimes.

I came to this thread to see what all the new activity was about & realized I never voted🤔....
So.....Just now, I voted a 10!
I have the dvd-a version & don't know what the sacd may or may not sound like.
But as far as this one goes...The content is beyond great, it has an awesome surround mix & the fidelity is just tremendous!
It's been a while since I've listened to this but clearly do recall it was excellent.
Right after writing this, I'm going to give it a fresh listen again!

Last edited:
I love this DVD-A. One of scheiner's Caillat's best and one of the best pop albums ever created. It really doesn't get much better than this. A landmark in the world of immersive music and a must have disc for anyone who is either a casual surround fan or a complete surround junkie like me.

Last edited:
This always sounded a bit "out" for me - turns out the Rear Right channel is out of phase, at least on the SACD version. I don't recall seeing that anywhere else...? Everything is remarkably better now, as I had envisioned it should sound. When the LFE channel is realigned, too, it's perfection.

This always sounded a bit "out" for me - turns out the Rear Right channel is out of phase, at least on the SACD version. I don't recall seeing that anywhere else...? Everything is remarkably better now, as I had envisioned it should sound. When the LFE channel is realigned, too, it's perfection.
I saw this reported on a Facebook group. It's not that it's out-of-phase: the polarity has been inverted.

Well...yes, but inverted polarity on only one channel renders it out of phase with everything else, which it is.
Phase ≠ polarity. Phase has to do with timing. Polarity has to do with rarefaction vs. compression. A signal that is out of phase will be either delayed or ahead as compared to an in-phase signal, but once time-aligned, the rarefaction and compression will match the in-phase signal. By contrast, a signal with reversed polarity is in phase with the same signal that has normal polarity, but because the rarefaction and compression happen at opposing times, the two signals will cancel one another out. Inverted polarity cannot be fixed by trying to align the timing of the signal. Rather, the polarity must be reverted to normal. It is possible for both errors to occur in the same signal, but they are entirely separate in nature.

I'd be interested for anyone with a rip of the DVD-A to check if it's the same? It is a night and day difference once that channel flips back into phase.
I have my DVD-A ripped, but I'm not exactly sure what to look for to check this. Is there something specific to check for if I open it up in Audacity?

I'd be interested for anyone with a rip of the DVD-A to check if it's the same? It is a night and day difference once that channel flips back into phase.
I can speak to the fact that the DVD-A does not face this issue. It does however, have a center channel issue on "Go Your Own Way", with it being out of phase with the rest of the mix (out of time, in this case; the polarity of the channel is fine). Fixing Rumours 5.1: Out of phase center channel of "Go Your Own Way" and out of phase LFE channel

A pedantic but useful article is linked below. “While polarity and phase are different from a practical (i.e. mixing and mastering) perspective, they are the same thing from a mathematical viewpoint.” For a pure sine wave, a 180º phase shift is mathematically identical to a polarity inversion (this follows directly from trig identities). For a complex waveform, which can be decomposed to the summation of sine waves of varying frequency and phase, likewise a 180º phase shift for each of those frequency components is mathematically identical to a polarity inversion.

The important differences arise from phase shifts of other than 180Âş, and the more general case that phase shift will be dependent on frequency (for example, in crossover networks). And, summing (mixing) separate audio signals, say from the left and right speakers, is very sensitive to any relative phase shifts, which is why inverting one of the channels by not observing wiring polarity leads to undesirable effects.

Polarity? Phase? What is the difference?

Back