HiRez Poll Fleetwood Mac - SAY YOU WILL [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Fleetwood Mac - SAY YOU WILL

• Total voters
Listening to this one this afternoon in preparation for seeing the band tonight. (Doubt they'll play anything from it.)

Song-wise, I think the album is a pretty strong collection of tunes. Lindsey's songs are uniformly excellent. Stevie has a few gems here as well, although a couple of her songs feel like filler. The album is 76 minutes long. I think it could have been cut down to 50 or 55 minutes and probably would have been a more cohesive and stronger collection. The performances are fantastic. John, Mick & Lindsey are really rocking out on a lot of it. In the 70's Lindsey used to ask John to keep the bass lines simple, but John cuts loose on a few tunes here like "Everybody Finds Out" and "Smile at You"; it's pretty awesome.

As for the mix, the first song will have you really worried. Pretty much nothing happening in the rears. However it picks up after that. I haven't fiddled with the levels as others have suggested, but listening to it flat, the mix isn't bad. Use of the rears is on the subtle side, but you do notice some discrete stuff going on. I would have liked it to be a bit more aggressive like the mixes of the 70's Mac albums, but it's still decent. The mixes on"Everybody Finds Out" and "Bleed to Love Her" are excellent.

I will deduct one point for having some filler and one point since the mix, while good, isn't up to the standards of the other Mac mixes.

I give it an 8.

P.S. Some real standout songs on this album that hold up well against the band's classic material: "Bleed to Love Her", "Steal Your Heart Away", "Goodbye Baby", "Say You Will", "Smile at You", "Come", "Peacekeeper."

The first track sounds like the engineer forgot it wasn't stereo and quickly slapped a nearly inaudible ambient track to the rear speakers. Thank goodness, things pickup surround-wise after that and it turns out to be a fairly decent mix.

I've never cared for Nicks voice, and I miss Christine McVie's vocals and songwriting, but there are a handful of good tunes, particularly from Buckingham (Red Rover and Say You Will are a couple of my favorites). My vote is an 8.

Listening to this one this afternoon in preparation for seeing the band tonight. (Doubt they'll play anything from it.)

Song-wise, I think the album is a pretty strong collection of tunes.

P.S. Some real standout songs on this album that hold up well against the band's classic material: "Bleed to Love Her", "Steal Your Heart Away", "Goodbye Baby", "Say You Will", "Smile at You", "Come", "Peacekeeper."
Totally agree. This is a great, underrated album. Lacklustre reviews from critics when it was released and a few of the usual clueless ratings on this site for when Quadrophonic Quad listeners lacked the equipment or ability to realise what they were listening to (for other examples: see the superb surround mixes for Buena Vista Social Club and Joni's Mitchell's Both Sides Now). If you are are sitting in a room with a decent and calibrated home theatre 5.1 set-up in 2021, this actually sounds much better than the SACD 5.1 of Rumours. A strong 8. Everyone Finds Out, Destiny Rules, Thrown Down, Red Rover, Running Through The Garden, Silver Girl are other superb tracks.

When I'm buying a new album, I typically listen to the tunes first on YouTube, just to see if I'm going to like it. But this was Fleetwood Mac, who I love! So I didn't bother. Big mistake. The tunes on this disc are pretty awful - not the Fleetwood Mac I expected. (I had no idea Christine McVie was not part of this one. And I love her. Her smooth voice was greatly missed.)

This album is more raw and dissonant than older Fleetwood Mac. Not the pop rock I expected. Say You Will is a very good song, back to the mid 70s sound of the band. I wasn't impressed with much else.

As far as the mix, the front 3 channels were fine. But the rears? There are times I really had to check to see if anything was wrong with my setup. Not active at all. Huge disappointment there. You could easily listen to this with the rears off and not miss a thing.

I paid just under $36 including shipping and tax on eBay. Although I felt like I got a "deal," I really didn't. If I had to do it again, maybe $20. And even at that, I might not hit the "buy" button.

After one listen, and not all the way through each tune, the DVD got taken out of the Oppo and put away, likely to never be listened to again.

I gave this a 3. 😢

Well I think it was a great album I personally have been a huge Mac fan and this to me sounds very familiar and the production is top notch
You armchair musicians crack me up, get off your lazy opinionated asrses and make a better album, bloody procrastinators,

It's a decent album, but clearly not as strong as Rumours, the other DVD-A offer.
For sure you can’t compare the album that has sold over forty million to the final album we will ever hear from the same band, I just don’t think it’s as bad as some of the previous comments

Dark Side of the Moon, Abbey Road, Pet Sounds, Zeppelin 4 how did I go ?
Pretty close!
Never been enamoured with Pet Sounds, I’d throw GYBR or Who’s Next in there.
I have plenty of albums that fall way outside the list of usual suspects that I consider epic.

Pretty close!
Never been enamoured with Pet Sounds, I’d throw GYBR or Who’s Next in there.
I have plenty of albums that fall way outside the list of usual suspects that I consider epic.
Yes The Who that’s a great album, so is Elton’s classic on SACD, I know what you mean so many great albums

Back