HiRez Poll Fleetwood Mac - SAY YOU WILL [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Fleetwood Mac - SAY YOU WILL

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this DVD-A,
one of the few that actually came out on the same day as the CD! (IIRC) (y) :phones (n)

Fleetwood Say You Will Front.jpgFleetwood Say You Will Back.jpg

Last edited:
This is one of my first MC discs and I still think that Fleetwood Mac is built for this medium.

The fact that they have my "Honey' as a lead singer had nothing to do with my 9 vote. :worthy

I like the music a lot, though i miss Christine McVie a lot. The surround mix is fairly good if you turn up the rear speakers quite a bit. There is actually stuff in the rears, but i guess they were afraid to actually let us hear the instruments and vocals back there {I could barely hear anything from the rears until i turned them up}??? I vote 9.

I've had this disc for a year or so, but never sat all the way thru it until today.

Several songs are outstanding, some forgetable. Definitely not in the same league as Fleetwood Mac, Rumors, Tango, or Mirage, but still enjoyable. Mix is front-centric, with the rears not as loud as the fronts. There's some discrete sounds back there, but most of the songs, they seem to be more used as ambience enhancement.

Overall, I'd give it a 6 all aspects considered. This Fleetwood Mac recording should have been called a Lindsey-Stevie duet. Every song is penned & sang by them. One Stevie, one Lindsey, one Stevie, one Lindsey....

Too much of their song writing was self-indulgent bleeding justification about broken or lost love affairs. I thought they were trying to out-do each other, especially on the last 2 songs. Too much! Too bad Christy McVie didn't have a real role to play; she's listed as a background vocalist, but frankly, I could not tell she was there in any song.

For a non-self centered song, I did like Peacekeeper.

Edit: I'm now listening to Linda Ronstadt "What's New", totally different music. Surprisingly a lot of distinct instrument sounds from the rears, considering this is torch song - orchestrations. Comparing the 2, I wish I could change my rating of Say You Will to 5, mostly for the mix and lack of variety in lyrical content.

A missed opportunity.

ss9001

Last edited:
It sounds terrible!

I can not seem to tweak anything pleasurable out of it.
What the hell happened here?:confused:

I guess this means you didn't like it.:eek:
ss9001

Well, most of the songs are very good.
I am just spoiled by all of the pristine MC mixes that I have collected over the years.
In my opinion, this was a wasted effort. They could have done much more with the material.

Well, most of the songs are very good.
I am just spoiled by all of the pristine MC mixes that I have collected over the years.
In my opinion, this was a wasted effort. They could have done much more with the material.

Totally agree.
ss9001

I just picked this thing up, some good songs, some bad songs, it was no wonder the album didn't do much and no huge comeback followed. Hardly worth owning, but I might listen again in a few years, or I might not. Based on the good songs and the fact I can skip the bad ones with a remote, I will give this a 6. Fidelity seems first rate and I accept the mix is suitable for the music.

Chris

I found this one in Fry's last weekend. While it's nice to see that the section still exists, there's not much there, just the dregs. One thing that I noticed, Fry's puts a date on the price tag. In this case April 15th, 2003. So this particular disc sat on the shelf for close to five years before I came along and bought it. Ouch. I like this disc though, I'll give it an 8. Of course it was well recorded. And I like the songs.

Fleetwood Mac have always been favorites of mine, and I love Lindsey Buckingham's writing and playing, but this was a pretty muddled mess. It actually began as a Lindsey solo album that he invited the old mates to play on. Then it turned into a Mac (semi) reunion album. I think it would have been better had Lindsey proceeded on his own. The songwriting is erratic, the album is over-long (one of my pet peeves these days is that artists seem compelled to try to fill the entire CD. The shorter playing time of Lps forced them to edit themselves instead of stretch out, resulting in tighter productions), and the surround mix is merely adequate, although the mastering is good. There are a few memorable cuts, but chances are when I want to hear them, I'll program those cuts in and skip the dross.

I gave it a 6.

Finally got around to listening to this. I agree with everything above.

music :7
sound:9
mix: as recorded:3, after turning up the rears +4db : 7

The front channels have a lot of stereo interplay, and sometimes Stevie is only in the center channel.
While playing the first song, I kept checking to make sure that the disc didn't default to stereo: nothing back there! But the second song had a lot back there, but hard to make out. Halfway through the disc, I figured this was another disc suffering from the "DualDisc syndrom". Every DUALDISC I have (whether DVD-A or DolbyDigital tracks), and alot of the DVD-As I have, I have to turn up the rears by 4-6db. (Hardly ever have this problem with SACDs.
After boosting the rears, I enjoyed the mix more. There's still alot of just ambience (although the first song has VERY little of that, some sounds in the back (vocals,chourus,instruments, and some what I would call swirling phasing between all five channels. I've heard worse (like the Los Lonely Boys or CCR discs)

Well I'm not a huge Fleetwood Mac fan so I recently picked this one up with no preconceived ideas of what it could or should be. I have listened to it through once and find it very enjoyable.... Certainly not your typical Fleetwood Mac sound on most songs. A little edgier maybe. Anyways I thought it was great. The sound was great on my setup... I was picking up lots of action on my rear speakers. I would highly recommend this disk. I imagine the more I listen to it the more I will enjoy it... Of course I do like everything about Stevie Nicks :)

I liked it at first myself, but after awhile it started making me nauseous. Won't be playing it again. I think I sold it anyway.

Well I'll try to listen a few more times this week and get back to you on how the album ages...

Time to resurrect a dead thread since I got a good deal on the disc! This album was somewhat disappointing to me when it was first released because it didn't meet my expectations of what a classic Fleetwood Mac album should sound like (Rumours, Fleetwood Mac, etc)... it really sounds more like a Lindsey Buckingham solo album with his characteristic quirky arrangements, multi-layered processed vocals, and interweaving layered guitar elements throughout. Stevie provides about half the songs (which tend to be the weaker tunes IMO), and Christine's songwriting skills are sorely missed. The years, however, have been kind to this album and after letting go of all expectations (as well as the 6 weakest songs), I find myself really appreciating this music (It also helps that I'm a huge Buckingham fan). The sound quality of the DVD-A is excellent, with no audible compression/clipping. The surround mix as provided is mostly front-centric, but actually opens way up into a discrete, active mix IF you take the time to adjust the rear channels. I extracted multichannel waves using DVDAE, amplified the rear channel volumes for each track using Audacity (anywhere from 2.5dB to 8dB depending on the track), then saved the files as flacs. Now I have an album of 12 excellent songs with wonderful surround mixes! With 18 songs total, this is one big Mac album, but with Lindsey bringing the meat, Stevie providing the buns, and Mick and John adding that secret sauce, this is a tasty affair indeed. If I were to vote based on the best 12 songs with rear channels increased, I'd give it a 9. As is, I give it a 7.

I like this album, not all tracks are great, but there is some Fleetwood Mac magic here to find. The surround mix is ok - nothing more. I give it a strong 7.

Back