Fleetwood Mac "Tango In The Night" - now streaming in Dolby Atmos!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me either, especially since there wasn’t a 5.1 mix in the box set (unlike the other FM box sets).
@ForagingRhino mentioned here way back in 2017 that they looked into doing a 5.1 mix for the box set, but the multitrack assets were a disorganized mess (hundreds of reels in the vault, but no clearly marked set of 'final' masters). In the years since, I guess someone went digging through those tapes and tried to find all the right parts. It'll be interesting to see if there are a lot of differences between the Atmos and original stereo...

Yeah, I was kind of nervous going in as these FM Atmos mixes have been hit-or-miss (Tusk and Mirage being good, the others less so) and I'm kind of impressed so far. It's not wildly 'discrete' (there aren't many instruments isolated in one speaker), but you do get that big-sounding 'inside the bubble' effect. Backing vocals in "Big Love" and "Everywhere" seem to be mostly in the height speakers.

There are some interesting differences too, like a keyboard(?) part in the right channel on the fade of "Seven Wonders" that I don't recall from the original mix.

I wonder if they only had partial multis for this? So far, I'm only convinced that "Big Love", "Seven Wonders", "Everywhere", "Tango In The Night", and "Little Lies" are real. The remaining tracks seem to have just ambience in the sides & rears, and then the same content from fronts duplicated across the heights.

There's also a bit of sloppy editing in "Seven Wonders", that acoustic guitar during the post-chorus (first at 0:58) cuts out kind of abruptly.

I wonder if they only had partial multis for this? So far, I'm only convinced that "Big Love", "Seven Wonders", "Everywhere", "Tango In The Night", and "Little Lies" are real. The remaining tracks seem to have just ambience in the sides & rears, and then the same content from fronts duplicated across the heights.

There's also a bit of sloppy editing in "Seven Wonders", that acoustic guitar during the post-chorus (first at 0:58) cuts out kind of abruptly.
Thanks for that, it’s why I was definitely conflicted and thought some weird (weak) mixing choices after listening in 5.1 last night. I do need more time with it though.

Hmmm. just finished my first listen in 5.1. Definitely a nice, enveloping experience, but yeh, it's no a crazy active surround mix. Will need to listen a few more times but I wonder the same thing as @sjcorne - perhaps they didn't have all multis for all of this? Either way, this is great to have.

If only this was on disc :cry:

I've considered the stereo only box set for several years. But no surround kept me from buying, so far. But this album in Atmos would be a no-brainer. Yes, I would pay the price. Even though the CD sounds great and played with a quad synthesizer is even better, Atmos would be the ultimate way to listen. This is a great Fleetwood Mac album.

I've resisted getting Apple Music so far; already paying for Qobuz. But great albums done in Atmos like Tango & Daft Punk's RAM are so tempting.

If only this was on disc :cry:

I've considered the stereo only box set for several years. But no surround kept me from buying, so far. But this album in Atmos would be a no-brainer. Yes, I would pay the price. Even though the CD sounds great and played with a quad synthesizer is even better, Atmos would be the ultimate way to listen. This is a great Fleetwood Mac album.

I've resisted getting Apple Music so far; already paying for Qobuz. But great albums done in Atmos like Tango & Daft Punk's RAM are so tempting.
ooh.. go on, give Apple Music a try! 🥳 you know you want to 😉 give in to temptation (the Temptations are on there in Surround too and they sound great! it wasn't just my imagination! 😋😍 )

Back