DVD/DTS Poll Fleetwood Mac - TUSK [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Fleetwood Mac - TUSK

• Total voters
It refers to an audible artifact of certain types of heavy dynamic range compression. When there's a spike in volume, the compressor clamps down, then releases. If there are frequent or rhythmic spikes, it can sound like the music is "pumping" up and down in volume.
OK, thanks. Noticeable at both lower and higher volumes?
I had it medium loud. I think it would be more noticeable at high volume.
Try playing the hi-res stereo version of “Sara.” As the song progresses, you will hear the dynamics of Mic’s drumming getting stronger. I do not think it as noticeable on the 5.1. I actually prefer the stronger dynamics on the stereo version of this song.

I went back and forth with myself on even purchasing this box set. I swore that "I refuse to spend this much money on a box set full of stuff I don't want...only to get the single 5.1 disc that I do want".

Finally, I caved in and got a very fair price via Amazon UK. As most everyone already knows, due to my clamoring about it on another thread...I love it. It's so warm and thick sounding. Loads of great bass, and real crisp mids and highs. Just a real nice sounding disc. I won't go into all the detail as I did before.

Fidelity = 10
Content = 10
Surround = 9

That averages to a 9.66. I can't rate it a 9, so I will rate it a 10. I refuse to let what I paid for extra stuff I don't want to play into my vote... :)
Just curious.....did you pay more or less than $200 ;)

You're kidding right? If not, you got an AMAZING deal.....I picked up Pink Floyd's Early Days box from Amazon UK for an UNBELEIVABLE low price years ago still perfect in every way with all internal contents all still sealed because that's the way it came from them as opposed to USA Sealed exterior for only $125 :love: :love: :):)🤞🤞

Reactions: GOS
IIRC this was one of the earliest pop albums recorded 100% digitally. Perhaps they were overemphasizing the dynamics a bit to show off. I remember being impressed by the impact of Mick’s drumming when I first heard the LP. Perhaps that is where the “pumping” comes from?
I've been reading Ken Caillat's book about the recording of Tusk so have been listening to this set again. I'll have to check out the Atmos mix if it is still on Tidal as well.

Tusk was recorded at the Village Recorder studios from April 1978 well into 1979 in the brand new Studio D made to Ken's specifications specifically for Fleetwood Mac.

The recorders were actually 2 brand new Studer A80 analog 24 track machines synced together for 48 tracks and using Dolby SR noise reduction. They ran the machines at 30 IPS. At one point the asst. engineer said they had 72 2" reels of tape (weighing 12 lbs. each) in the tape closet! 2 reels were needed per song, one for each machine.

Later in the process (early to mid 1979) they brought in the Soundstream stereo digital recorder for mixdowns and to preserve the drum sounds to avoid what happened on Rumours where they literally wore out the 2" analog tapes! (Fortunately for Rumours, they had been running parallel 24 track machines during the sessions per studio policy so had fresh 1st. generation master tapes to use going forward).

Back