Floor speakers ssu 241

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miker1102

So my wife brought these speakers home. I read a few reviews from a couple of different forums and they were like "oh no" these are garbage for the garage. I am not much of an audiophile but these sounded so warm and nice hooked up to the Sony receiver I just kept thinking how do people rate these things? I am new to surround in general but the receiver was a budget Sony 5.1 that does 4k so would the floors make a huge difference? I really am rather impressed with the whole thing but any help would be greatly appreciated. I also don't want to burn my house down cause I think these speakers are like 40 years old.

They were standard Sony speakers, nothing special. Have you removed the front grille and checked the surrounds on the woofers? They are not held in high esteem by anybody but if you like them, that's all that matters.

I did. Everything is in working order. I would definitely buy a more current floor speaker if the sound is much better I just have nothing to compare it to ...if anyone has recommendation. The center is a highly rated(amazon) Kiplisch. The sub is a mid range new Sony and the satellites are Polk also highly rated( Amazon, Crutch field). I believe the center was the most expensive piece.

There are so many more speakers and subwoofers which would give you much better performance, but the only way for you to do this is to go out and audition as many speakers as you possibly can, as we cannot suggest speakers as everyone hears things a little different. You know exactly what sound it is that you probably are looking for after you hear it, so it just takes listening to many many speakers.

I did. Everything is in working order. I would definitely buy a more current floor speaker if the sound is much better I just have nothing to compare it to ...if anyone has recommendation. The center is a highly rated(amazon) Kiplisch. The sub is a mid range new Sony and the satellites are Polk also highly rated( Amazon, Crutch field). I believe the center was the most expensive piece.
Let me suggest that you set up and use what you now have. You need to get a baseline reference before you can evaluate any potential upgrades or improvements.

I do not own them, but I have read many peoples posts on QQ and others You Tube videos, the Kplisch brand comes up quite frequently. They have many levels of home theater speaker combinations for purchase.
I did what Kal said and sat back and relaxed, enjoyed what I had and studied what I wanted via many resources. Quality, looks, everything, and then picked what I have today.
I have owned smaller speakers that I placed on a bookshelf, smaller speakers on speaker stands, and the floor stand speakers that I have now certainly beat the previous combinations.
I am a 100% need subs for the bass sound kind of guy, but that is another story.
First things first and having fun is #1.

Let me suggest that you set up and use what you now have. You need to get a baseline reference before you can evaluate any potential upgrades or improvements.
This is good advice..Thanks. I feel pretty satisfied and my family enjoys the movies. The self calibration thing did wonders for playing my vinyl. I definitely can see why people go down a rabbit hole with sound as It is fascinating and seems like you can always find ways to get closer to perfect.

So I upgraded after trying Boston Acoustics, Polk, Paradigm, Mirage M7si, Cerwin Vega. I prefer the the Paradigm so far but the stereo repair guy did not fix the speakers properly and there is no one in my area to do it. I am out 300 with this guy. He is an older gentleman who is retiring and told us he couldn't keep up with the amount of work he had so I guess I knew better. I have Polk T50s and Polk monitor 60 in the rear. It's a good sound for now. 5.1 music sounds very good with the auto room calibration. It measures the speaker positions fairly accurately and sets the crossovers pretty correctly as well. I have played Wish You Were Here in DSD and it's amazing. My next brands to try are going to be KEF and Jamco. I am not a fan of the Klipsch horn. I think it sounds boxy.

It must be nice to have all of that money to buy those things.

So I upgraded after trying Boston Acoustics, Polk, Paradigm, Mirage M7si, Cerwin Vega. I prefer the the Paradigm so far but the stereo repair guy did not fix the speakers properly and there is no one in my area to do it. I am out 300 with this guy. He is an older gentleman who is retiring and told us he couldn't keep up with the amount of work he had so I guess I knew better. I have Polk T50s and Polk monitor 60 in the rear. It's a good sound for now. 5.1 music sounds very good with the auto room calibration. It measures the speaker positions fairly accurately and sets the crossovers pretty correctly as well. I have played Wish You Were Here in DSD and it's amazing. My next brands to try are going to be KEF and Jamco. I am not a fan of the Klipsch horn. I think it sounds boxy.

Ive got the Polk moniter 60s...had them for years after blowing my tweeter in my older Jensons

Using the 60s as my rears now. I like them
.. used as fronts for yrs in stereo. I researched alot before buying them. They got great reviews when i bought them!

Ive now got Polk Rti A7 s as fronts in 5.1 setup gotem on sale new from crutchfield for $300 ea couple yrs ago. They rock

Never liked Klipsh...horn drivers...turn it off :)

Ive got the Polk moniter 60s...had them for years after blowing my tweeter in my older Jensons

Using the 60s as my rears now. I like them
.. used as fronts for yrs in stereo. I researched alot before buying them. They got great reviews when i bought them!

Ive now got Polk Rti A7 s as fronts in 5.1 setup gotem on sale new from crutchfield for $300 ea couple yrs ago. They rock

Never liked Klipsh...horn drivers...turn it off :)
Polks all around here as well except for the subwoofers. To me the most important thing is to have all the speakers matched and placed correctly. Also, the subs of which I have 3 x 12" currently.

Back