Focusrite Scarlett review - STAY AWAY!!!!!

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I'm definitely intrigued by that Tascam, the price is reasonable also IMO, the SD cards are an extra cost, but my Computer has built-in slots for those and I've had some Tascam gear in the past that was decent.

I've got a new MOTU UltraLite-mk4 I use with Win. 7 Pro. via USB 2.0; just started learning this sort of transfer, so I have limited experience to relay here on this thread. I've just been converting direct analog from my Surround Master v2 and out USB to the computer to make Up-mixes. Hopefully some conversions from QS/SQ and CD-4's in the future. So far so good. The only glitch I've had was having several apps open at once (i.e. AA3, Audacity & Foobar200) and something tied up the audio for monitoring and I wasn't getting any sound. Had to shut everything down and re-boot and it was fine again. Just a re-boot can do wonders (but yeah, still a hassle.)
I'm a little nervous about Microsoft shutting off support for Win. 7; because it's been a decent OS for me. However the Wasapi sound drivers for multi-channel are a joke IMO; just can't get it to work with the apps.
My reasons for ordering a Tascam DR-680Mkii are threefold. Firstly, its a stand-alone piece of kit so I can move it around, my Reel-to-Reels (stereo only :() are in another room, and most of my other analogue kit is as well, and is simple to connect. Secondly no software compatibility issues, I can easily plug the SDcards into my PCs or laptop, and it allegedly connects via USB as well (I suspect you can only see the memory card), and thirdly, new amps etc. no longer have multichannel inputs, and a lot now have no multichannel outputs either, so it allows me to 'play about' independently of the amp. A plus having run into big issues with my NUC on HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 and my amp which only handles HDMI 1.4/HDCP 1.4 so no video or sound unless I go through the Oppo (HDMI HDCP converters don't work)! Plus the Tascam is a 'reasonable' price. I may get a 'proper' multi-channel PC interface later when I'm more in the mood for some frustration :ROFLMAO:

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
My Tascam DR-680Mkii (and cables) arrived on Friday afternoon but I'm out the country all next week so haven't had time to play with it yet, hopefully next weekend

atrocity

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
I’m doing the Clash - Black Market Clash next. Original EP has not appeared on CD. And I have the nicer sounding 12” not just the common 10” pressing. Nice sounding record.
I never knew there was a 12" pressing!

You're right that the original version has never been released on CD, but there is "Super Black Market Clash", which has all the original tracks as well as a bunch of extra ones.

atrocity

Since 2002/2003
I bought a few nicer high-end adaptor connectors - and since the signal to noise ratio is so much nicer (way low noise compared to cards used previously). I am not hearing or worried about any noise, nor hum, no nothing here!!!
Thank you. I got confused looking for adaptor cables/connectors and finally just gave up since I don't have the recorder yet anyway.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I never knew there was a 12" pressing!

You're right that the original version has never been released on CD, but there is "Super Black Market Clash", which has all the original tracks as well as a bunch of extra ones.
Yes the Super Black Market Clash on double 10” has additional tracks, but I’m told it’s missing some material from the original. But it could be simply some of mixes are different. I need to research that. But I absolutely love doing drops from vinyl when there is not an exact issue on CD, and my drop turns out sounding really nice.

There was a 12” with vinyl with stunning fidelity, I love mine and found one fora friend for $1.99 on eBay - MN LP with slight worn cover - sounds really great.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Thank you. I got confused looking for adaptor cables/connectors and finally just gave up since I don't have the recorder yet anyway.
I’ll post pictures, and the first set of adaptors I got were too thick and did not plug in with one in the next channel side by side. I returned them to Amatron in Hollywood and got different model that is a fine fit for the unit.

My high res digital recording of vinyl is an extension of my childhood taping hobby. I started out on my tiny reel to reel on my 9th birthday. Scratchy bubblegum 45s mixed with Apple 45s (recorded off a G.E, battery powered phono), I was quite eclectic then having gotten the White Album for Christmas at 8 years old. I thought Piggies, Bungalow Bill, and Blackbird were animal songs made just for kids like me. Oh and then the Get Back single arrived that summer along with Honky Tonk Women, and I was hooked for life. Beatles and Stones are the bedrock of who I am musically.

Oh I got off track there sorry, I meant to say that I bought my Tascam 6-track recorder as a birthday present to myself - connecting it in my mind to that first recorder I ever had, just a continuation of those 45s and that music that I recorded from records. It’s all a thread that runs through life to me.

atrocity

Since 2002/2003
Yes the Super Black Market Clash on double 10” has additional tracks, but I’m told it’s missing some material from the original. But it could be simply some of mixes are different. I need to research that. But I absolutely love doing drops from vinyl when there is not an exact issue on CD, and my drop turns out sounding really nice.

There was a 12” with vinyl with stunning fidelity, I love mine and found one fora friend for $1.99 on eBay - MN LP with slight worn cover - sounds really great.
You made me look. According to Wikipedia, the CD is, as you hint, NOT just the 10" with added tracks. Even the tracks they share in common aren't the same versions in every case, so I guess I need to digitize mine as well.

atrocity

Since 2002/2003
I’ll post pictures, and the first set of adaptors I got were too thick and did not plug in with one in the next channel side by side. I returned them to Amatron in Hollywood and got different model that is a fine fit for the unit.
Thank you! I'm trying to save up enough credit card points to get that recorder for "free".

My high res digital recording of vinyl is an extension of my childhood taping hobby.
We are frighteningly alike. I used to go so far as to stock up on the large hub 7" reels that were commonly used for pre-recorded tapes and copy vinyl to reels with one side of the record on one side of the tape. If side one was longer than side two, I'd pad the beginning of side one of the tape with dead space so there'd be minimal wait between the two sides. I had (and still have!) an auto-reverse deck and could be pretty obsessive about taking maximum advantage of it. Two 1800' reels would generally wind up as two of those large-hub reels with one album each. I wonder how many stock Maxell reels I tossed out after re-spooling the tape. Maybe I blew the chance to make big bucks in 2019 by selling them to a collector!