Foo Fighters DVD "Skin & Bones"/ Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
The Foo Fighters DVD "Skin & Bones" from their recent live acoustic tour will be released on Nov. 28.

It will feature 21 tracks spanning their career (the CD is being released on Nov. 7 with 15 tracks). Here's the good part - Elliot Scheiner is listed as the mixer on the DVD - this bodes well for another 5.1 mix - I'm hoping at least. His mix on the limited edition DVD A (the acoustic side) from their last studio release "in Your Honor" was first rate (IMHO). DTS/DD 5.1??? -its SonyBMG so it will be anyone's guess.

Finally got around to listening to this today - a very discrete 5.1 mix by Elliot Scheiner taking full use of the surrounds - albeit in DD only. Still sounds quite warm and natural sounding to my ears. Featuring tracks not only from the DVD A acoustic album from last year but acoustic verisons of the Foo's best known tracks. Shot in HD, a very entertaining show. Despite a large number of players - 3 guitars, bass, keys, violinist, drummer, percussionist - a very organic sound is presented thanks due to the excellent ES touch. I had heard the CD a few months back and was a bit disappointed in the flat sound - the 5.1 mix is soooo much better! A must for Foo fans or anyone looking for a new, good pop/rock surround title.

A little side note - Petra Haden ( daughter of bassist extroadinaire, Charlie Haden) provides violin, mandolin and backing vocals. Last year she released one of the more audacious recordings in some time - a completely "a capella" version of The Who's " The Who Sellout" - her version of "I Can See For Miles" is not to be missed.

Only got thru a few songs so far, but it's excellent. Nice mix, nice picture. Great band!

I found a copy of this for $5 at a record store earlier today. It's another great live mix from ES! There's all kinds of instruments (secondary guitars, concertina, accordion, xylophone, percussion, etc) unexpectedly bursting from the rear channels.

One especially cool surround moment is in the lengthy instrumental section in the track "See You" - after each musician solos (coming from different speakers), Dave calls out different percussion instruments for the drummer to solo with, and they come out of the rears.

It's interesting comparing the In Your Honor acoustic tracks as presented here with Scheiner's mixes of the studio versions on the DualDisc DVD-A. For instance, the harmonica solo in "Another Round" is in the rears on the studio version, but for the DVD performance it's in right front.

"Another Round" (Skin And Bones DVD):
Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 2.25.22 PM.png

"Another Round" (In Your Honor DVD-A):
Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 2.26.47 PM.png

Both are excellent surround mixes. I only wish we got more 5.1 releases from the Foo Fighters...

Last edited:
Did not know this existed found a cheap copy online to buy thanks and sorry for the off topic. Scheiner mixes are like rare wines...

Back