HiRez Poll Foo Fighters - ONE BY ONE [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Foo Fighters - ONE BY ONE

• Total voters
I just voted 9, mostly because it does loud so well, there are back and forth discrete moments, listen to track 2, it's a awesome heavy rock disc.

I just wish the dualdisc of the Foo's IN YOUR HONOR had a 5.1 MLP remix for both discs. The Elliot Scheiner 5.1 remix for the second disc, Grohl's solo outing, is the tits!:ROFLMAO:and boobies never go out of fashion!

I likewise voted a 9 for One by One. And whoever voted a ONE [waste of plastic] ....... PHOOEY TO U!

doing a bit of digging and the 5.1 on this one is by Mr.Haynes (aka Chris Haynes) who was head engineer at 5.1 Production Services, who did a number of the better Silverline 5.1's.

now I haven't sat down and listened to this properly since i bought it several years ago (to my eternal shame!) let alone pulled it apart and analysed the tracks to see exactly what's going on with the mix.. but just have to say, imho, this would have had to have been a major boo-boo or something with this disc, as its by the same fellow who also mixed things like Britney Spears' "In The Zone", Tipper "Surrounded", Blondie's "Curse Of Blondie", Mötorhead's "Ace Of Spades" and a number of other very good very active mixes.. so going by his other surround music mixes the chances of this being a total dud, to me, well they just seem pretty slim. i'll give it a good go-through next week and report back here (y)

doing a bit of digging and the 5.1 on this one is by Mr.Haynes (aka Chris Haynes) who was head engineer at 5.1 Production Services, who did a number of the better Silverline 5.1's.

now I haven't sat down and listened to this properly since i bought it several years ago (to my eternal shame!) let alone pulled it apart and analysed the tracks to see exactly what's going on with the mix.. but just have to say, imho, this would have had to have been a major boo-boo or something with this disc, as its by the same fellow who also mixed things like Britney Spears' "In The Zone", Tipper "Surrounded", Blondie's "Curse Of Blondie", Mötorhead's "Ace Of Spades" and a number of other very good very active mixes.. so going by his other surround music mixes the chances of this being a total dud, to me, well they just seem pretty slim. i'll give it a good go-through next week and report back here (y)

well.. 2019 came and went.. and One By One got lost in the piles 💩 🤷‍♀️ guess i'll use the enforced lockdown seclusion to try some of this old stuff out at last 👍

Either this one has a weird mix, or I have a bad disc. On many songs, the mains sound muffled and the surrounds contain louder, distorted guitar riffs and vocals. I'll check the files to see if I can find anything.

Either this one has a weird mix, or I have a bad disc. On many songs, the mains sound muffled and the surrounds contain louder, distorted guitar riffs and vocals. I'll check the files to see if I can find anything.

Play loud expect distortion!

Play loud expect distortion!
I wasn't playing it loud, and I only mentioned the distortion because it stood out. I assume it was an artistic decision; I didn't mean to imply it was unpleasant.

Funny thing, though. I played it on my home theater system, and it sounded quite different, much better. The receivers and speakers are similar in each setup, but I wasn't sitting in the sweet spot when I played it on my living room system. I've never noticed such a big difference between the two locations.

Last edited:
FYI - The bitrate is 5.1 88.2/24. Had another listen to this today - not as bad as I'd probably voted, but I find the mix is a bit uninspriing..
I ripped this with DVD-AE and the bitrate shows as 88.2 khz, 24 bit, and the ripped flac files (choosing "same as input" for sample rate) indeed are 24 bit/88.2 khz. But when I play the DVD-A with VLC it shows 48 khz (but 32 bit as usual for 24 bit discs/files). Anyone know if the actual disc is 88.2 or 48 khz?

I think I've finally unlocked the mix hiding within this disc! The LFE channel is actually out of sync by almost +15ms! After I realigned the LFE, the mix finally just fell into place. Sure, it's still a loud Foo Fighters record, but the mix finally makes sense. If you have the means to do so, I highly recommend you try it yourself! You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
I think I've finally unlocked the mix hiding within this disc! The LFE channel is actually out of sync by almost +15ms! After I realigned the LFE, the mix finally just fell into place. Sure, it's still a loud Foo Fighters record, but the mix finally makes sense. If you have the means to do so, I highly recommend you try it yourself! You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Bit late to the party but I just did this adjustment myself - I found it to be closer to about 13.5ms - and it's an absolute game changer for the bottom end on this record. I was so used to the anemic bass sound previously that the first listen through it almost felt like there was too much bass!

If you have this album ripped to FLAC and the capability (I mean who doesn't, with the wonderful Music Media Helper) I highly recommend taking the time to do this adjustment.

Back