Music DVD Poll Foo Fighters - Skin and Bones [DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DD DVD of Foo Fighters - Skin and Bones

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

sjcorne

Staff member
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2006 live release from Foo Fighters entitled "Skin and Bones".
Filmed at Los Angeles' Pantages Theatre in August 2006, the audio was mixed by Elliot Scheiner in 5.1 surround.

(y) :) (n)
FD DVD Front.jpeg

FF Back .jpeg

FF Disc.jpeg

Pre-release thread for all shipping/ordering queries and non-poll related posts:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/foo-fighters-dvd-skin-bones-elliot-scheiner.7118/

If ever there was a SOLID 10....THIS IS IT. From the opening acoustic guitar strumming of Dave Grohl leisurely walking down a hallway to the beautifully shot over 2 hour concert video fimed at Hollywood, CA's Pantages theater, Dave and the Foos are augmented by a lovely Petra Haden, daughter of double bassist legend Charlie Haden, on violin, mandolin, vocals, Drew Hester on percussion and vibes, Rami Jaffee, piano, mellotron, accordion and organ and Pat Smear on acoustic/electric guitar and the proceedings are EXQUISITELY captured in a packed venue in discrete 5.1 sonics courtesy of Elliot Scheiner's brilliant remixing skills.

And the Dolby Digital 5.1 sonics are really quite amazing capturing every nuance of sound down to the very deep bass notes of track 6, STILL.

If you are a fan of the Foo Fighters, GRAB THIS AMAZING DVD! As Upsampled on my OPPO 205, it could easily pass for a BD~V!

Last edited:
I voted an "8". Scheiner does his usual excellent work on the 5.1 mix - most songs have the core band in the front speakers, with additional elements such as Petra Haden's violin, Drew Hester's percussion, Rami Jafee's keys, and a third guitar played by either Pat Smear or Chris Shiflett isolated in the rears - but I'm a bit disappointed in the sound quality, louder passages such as the choruses in "Over & Out" have that messy 'crowded' quality from too much dynamic range compression. I don't really hear this on other Scheiner-mixed concerts in my collection (Eagles, Loggins & Messina, John Fogerty, etc).

The other thing I have to dock a point for is that unlike the CD, the DVD includes all of Dave Grohl's banter between songs. One of these days, I'll have to drag both streams into my DAW and try to edit the 5.1 down to match the stereo. It's a shame the Foos didn't keep working with Scheiner post-In Your Honor, he could've created amazing 5.1 mixes of the last few studio albums. I'd love to hear an uncompressed surround remix of Wasting Light with the dueling rhythm guitars in the rear speakers, as was done for the Lynyrd Skynyrd Southern Surroundings DVD-A.

Back