Foobar2000, DTS Decoder and FiiO X5

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weekendtoy

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Hi all,

I spent the last two years ripping and tagging my CD collection using Foobar to an external 3TB hard drive. I transfer the FLAC files to 256mb cards for my Fiio X5 (2nd gen) DAP.

Anyway, I'm on to the next level. So I figure I'll start with my DTS discs as that seems to be the easiest. I downloaded DTS decoder for Foobar and ripped Vince Gills 'High Lonesome Sound'.

Plugging my hard drive into my Oppo I get the surround file, but when I play back the FLAC file through my Oppo I get a 16 bit file. I know the Fiio is capable of playing hi-rez music but is that limited to DSD only? It says it's playing a standard 16 bit file. Is that normal? I just want to take advantage of the best playback resolution I can get and was thinking I'd get a 20bit file on the DAP.

I play 96/24 FLAC's on my Oppo 103, no issues from a USB drive, and from network sources (NAS) using DLNA.

Please take the following as likely, but not certain...I don't presently have a copy to rip and check. If I recall correctly these DTS-encoded CD's are 16-bit (redbook compliant format), encoded in DTS surround. Therefore the resulting rip from foobar is 16-bit. You could check the resulting rip in Foobar (right click/properties).

There is a DVD-Audio version as well, and I'm confident it is 24-bit.

Last edited:
I can get my DVD-AUDIO Image (ISO) files to convert to FLAC even with FooBar 2000 or AUDIOMUXER. Any suggestions? The program won't open the image file. They were converted at 24 Bit.

Last edited:
I can get my DVD-AUDIO Image (ISO) files to convert to FLAC even with FooBar 2000 or AUDIOMUXER. Any suggestions? The program won't open the image file. They were converted at 24 Bit.
Seems to me, there are certain .ISO files that will not open in Foobar. I'm not educated enough on the topic, to articulate the difference. Let's put it this way...when I take an .iso that was created from an SACD via Oppo....it works flawlessly. When I get an .iso from others.....often they will not be recognized in Foobar. The ones not recognized, I loaded into MakeMKV and could then take MKV file and load into Audiomuxer and create flacs that way. I can't explain it, but that's what happens for me. In this case, the DVD-A component I mentioned in another thread doesn't make a difference for those that won't work.

Foobar needs the DVD AUDIO plugin. Audiomuxer only rips DVD VIDEO discs.

Seems to me, there are certain .ISO files that will not open in Foobar. I'm not educated enough on the topic, to articulate the difference. Let's put it this way...when I take an .iso that was created from an SACD via Oppo....it works flawlessly. When I get an .iso from others.....often they will not be recognized in Foobar. The ones not recognized, I loaded into MakeMKV and could then take MKV file and load into Audiomuxer and create flacs that way. I can't explain it, but that's what happens for me. In this case, the DVD-A component I mentioned in another thread doesn't make a difference for those that won't work.

MakeMKV won't read SACD or DVD AUDIO discs (or iso's).

Blu-ray and DVD VIDEO work perfectly in Make MKV.

Audiomuxer will extract audio from DVD VIDEO, Blu-rays and MKV's. Discs must be unencrypted.

Foobar MUST HAVE the DVD AUDIO and SACD components to read the iso's.

MakeMKV won't read SACD or DVD AUDIO discs (or iso's).

Blu-ray and DVD VIDEO work perfectly in Make MKV.

Audiomuxer will extract audio from DVD VIDEO, Blu-rays and MKV's. Discs must be unencrypted.

Foobar MUST HAVE the DVD AUDIO and SACD components to read the iso's.
I have an iso file I received from someone. They claimed it was an iso from a DVD-Audio. Maybe it's a DVD-V source, I have no way to know. Regardless. I suck that iso into foobar, it tells me it's not a supported format. I take that same iso, pull it into MakeMKV and it loads just fine. Though MakeMKV says it's Blu-ray...which I don't get either. This is why I'm confused I guess.

I have an iso file I received from someone. They claimed it was an iso from a DVD-Audio. Maybe it's a DVD-V source, I have no way to know. Regardless. I suck that iso into foobar, it tells me it's not a supported format. I take that same iso, pull it into MakeMKV and it loads just fine. Though MakeMKV says it's Blu-ray...which I don't get either. This is why I'm confused I guess.

It certainly isn't a DVDA! If you end up with lossless audio then it is a blu-ray. If it is DTS (or ac3) then it is a DVD-V or a DVD-A/V, and MakeMKV is reading the only portion it can handle, the DVD-V part.

Frustrated! I made an ISO image file of my home burned DVD-AUDIO disc. Updated Foobar2000 with the DVD-AUDIO Plug-in and Foobar gives me an I/O error when I right click on it and try to convert it. Sigh, any more suggestions. Converting all my DVD-AUDIO discs to DTS will be a daunting task!

Frustrated! I made an ISO image file of my home burned DVD-AUDIO disc. Updated Foobar2000 with the DVD-AUDIO Plug-in and Foobar gives me an I/O error when I right click on it and try to convert it. Sigh, any more suggestions. Converting all my DVD-AUDIO discs to DTS will be a daunting task!

Why are you converting DVD-Audio to DTS? Is it a system limitation of some sort?

The original "home burned" DVD-AUDIO disc plays fine in DTS?

If you are focused on DTS, are you sure it is a DVD-AUDIO disc and not a standard DVD-Video disc? The portion of the disc that plays DTS has zero to do with DVD-AUDIO.

Try ripping it with Audiomuxer. It will read the DVD-Video portion of the disc and rip it to DTS (or AC3).

I'll try it, but I already have an ISO image on my physical drive. Seems that should work from there

It's confusing, but having the ISO isn't the same as virtually mounting it. The ISO is a "container" with any number of directories and files inside it. Unfortunately, without mounting it, you can't explore inside of it.

Assuming you're on Windows, mounting it should result in it showing as just another drive letter, which you can then treat like any other drive. Windows Explorer (or whatever it's called this week) should easily show you everything in there.

I'm afraid it's one of those things that's probably easier to just do blindly than it is to explain. Once you do it and see what happens, it will probably make more sense.

Can some point me to a thread on how to convert Factory watermarked DVD-Audio Discs to FLAC, like my America - Homecoming Disc? I use IMG Burn to write the ISO Image and FooBar2000 to convert to FLAC. I tried a free trial version of DVDFAB, but couldn't work my way through it and get an UNWATERMARKED set of AUDIO and VIDEO files to burn an image .

Can some point me to a thread on how to convert Factory watermarked DVD-Audio Discs to FLAC, like my America - Homecoming Disc? I use IMG Burn to write the ISO Image and FooBar2000 to convert to FLAC. I tried a free trial version of DVDFAB, but couldn't work my way through it and get an UNWATERMARKED set of AUDIO and VIDEO files to burn an image .

I use DVD-AUDIO Explorer, it is free.

Some of My MLP encoded DVD-AUDIO discs are in 4.0. When I run DVD-AUDIO EXPLORER and convert to FLAC, I get what seems to be only the Left Front & Right Front channels. The result is stereo only. Using the Same program I can convert a 5.1 MLP DVD-AUDIO and the result is a 5.1 FLAC. How can I add a Blank Center channel to an already finished MLP encoded 4.0 DVD-A and then convert all 5 channels to FLAC. 4.0 and 4.1 files don't convert to FLAC. I've converted the Four Channel MLP Files to WAV using DVD-AUDIO EXTRACTER.. The channels converted to WAV are labelled 1,2,3,&4. Do I assume 1 is LF, 2 is RF, 3 is LS, and 4 is RS? If I can label them as such, I can create a blank center channel and re encode using DiscWelder into 5.0.

Last edited:
Music Media Helper is in the Mulitchannel Media Player sub forum here on QQ. This is a Windows only program, otherwise you can do it using FFmpeg or Sox from the command line.

MMH will find all 4 channel FLAC files recursively under a start folder and add a silent centre or centre and LFE to those files (depending on which option checkbox you select)

Back