Foobar2000 Help Needed: Adding or Retaining Track Numbers When Converting Files or CDs.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Quad Guy

Quadraphonic Preservation
Staff member
I have been searching the web and trying to figure out what should be a simple thing:

I’m wanting Foobar to simply add track numbers before the song titles when ripping a CD. Likewise, Foobar will remove the track number when converting a file to another format. I have been manually adding the track numbers, which is time consuming. I’ve searched the web, but can’t find anything on the matter. Likewise, if there’s a free app or one that costs money to rip my CDs, I’m willing to try something else. But there must be a way to get Foobar to add and retain track numbers before song titles? The basic install doesn’t do this. At least in my experience.

I’m running the latest version of Foobar on a Windows 10 computer. I have downloaded Foobar and the free pack that they recommend, but have not configured or added anything to it.

I have a lot of CDs I want to convert to WAV files. I’m trying to figure out the best way to quickly run through a collection of stuff. Thanks in advance.

In the "Converter Setup" dialog click the "Destination" dialog setting and set the "Name Format" as follows:

1665438457358.png

I was just double checking this with the reference and see that %track% is a shortened version of %tracknumber% or %track number%. One version includes the zero on single digit tracks. The other doesn't. Here's a link to the complete reference where these are defined in the "Remapped metadata fields" section.

How do I get to the "Converter Setup"
I was just double checking this with the reference and see that %track% is a shortened version of %tracknumber% or %track number%. One version includes the zero on single digit tracks. The other doesn't. Here's a link to the complete reference where these are defined in the "Remapped metadata fields" section.

Thanks. Could you also let me know how to get to the "Converter Setup" window.

Thank you for the help support. It works! This is what I've found:

If one wants track numbers to be added along with title after one installs Foobar on a new computer,

%track% %title%

(as shown in post #2) must be added otherwise you only get song titles.

Foobar does retain some meta data about Track Numbers, but won't write them when converting without: %track% %title%

In other words, if you don't add %track% %title% as shown in post #2, you do get track info in the playback window and in a Windows folder configured for music. So now with the new set-up, even though I did not convert CDs with Track Numbers recently, I can now throw those files into Foobar and simply covert them with the track numbers added. Thanks again.

Don't forget about Mp3Tag, After adding the audio files all you have to do is find your release on Discogs, copy the release number add it into MP3Tag under tag sources. All the information is there. You can choose what information you want to include in your tages.

You can rename the files to your liking simply by selecting tag-filename.

I use it all the time now for my vinyl rips. I just have to change the track numbering usually A#,B# to 1,2,3. Saves so much time over entering file and tag names manually!

While I prefer dbPowerAmp for ripping and converting audio files... curious if FooBar2000 (v2.x) uses AccurateRip? I am also still looking for a Windows 11 audio file tagger. I use an obsolete app called Tag&Rename which has lots of features. I have yet to find another app that compares closely to the ability of this tagging app. Specifically, file renaming from tags, folder renaming from tags, batch tag editing, import tags from Discogs, get tags from file name, and lots more.

While I prefer dbPowerAmp for ripping and converting audio files... curious if FooBar2000 (v2.x) uses AccurateRip? I am also still looking for a Windows 11 audio file tagger. I use an obsolete app called Tag&Rename which has lots of features. I have yet to find another app that compares closely to the ability of this tagging app. Specifically, file renaming from tags, folder renaming from tags, batch tag editing, import tags from Discogs, get tags from file name, and lots more.
I've used Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...) for years which does most of that

I just added these instructions on how to add Metadata from discogs through Foobar2000.
I would do that first then follow through with these instructions to get the file number names changed.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...p-issues-fixes-usage.28741/page-2#post-654179

Thanks, I’ll go through your instructions here. I’m curious what this component does, or if it’s any good.

Disgogs Tagger
A tagger using the Discogs database:

https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_discogs

I have been searching the web and trying to figure out what should be a simple thing:

I’m wanting Foobar to simply add track numbers before the song titles when ripping a CD. Likewise, Foobar will remove the track number when converting a file to another format. I have been manually adding the track numbers, which is time consuming. I’ve searched the web, but can’t find anything on the matter. Likewise, if there’s a free app or one that costs money to rip my CDs, I’m willing to try something else. But there must be a way to get Foobar to add and retain track numbers before song titles? The basic install doesn’t do this. At least in my experience.

I’m running the latest version of Foobar on a Windows 10 computer. I have downloaded Foobar and the free pack that they recommend, but have not configured or added anything to it.

I have a lot of CDs I want to convert to WAV files. I’m trying to figure out the best way to quickly run through a collection of stuff. Thanks in advance.
I use a program called Goldwave (www.goldwave.com) to rip my CDs. It’s not free, I believe I paid about $30 for it 20 years ago. It’s also an excellent editor, with a lot of functions I would never have thought of. BTW, I still get free upgrades.

You can specify adding a track number to the filename. I always rip to FLAC, but I’m pretty sure it will do WAV as well.

Edit - They have a pretty good database of CD track titles as well. I end up with files like “01 Love Me Do.flac”

You know you can also use @HomerJAU MMH (Music Media Helper) to tag with links in his thread here at the forum. It uses the MusicBrainz lookup to tag. If you've never used his app, it has a lot of very useful functions.

When I was ripping a lot of CD's I always used EAC (Exact Audio Copy). It's a free program and also uses the AccurateRip database
https://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

Last edited:
You know you can also use @HomerJAU MMH (Music Media Helper) to tag with links in his thread here at the forum. It uses the MusicBrainz lookup to tag. If you've never used his app, it has a lot of very useful functions.

When I was ripping a lot of CD's I always used EAC (Exact Audio Copy). It's a free program and also uses the AccurateRip database
https://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

Thank you for the information. I tried EAC for the first time about two weeks ago. I configured it according to one of the many YouTube videos that are out there, rather than just use the settings that came with the program. I uninstalled it because the settings seemed a little touchy, and wanted to start over again.

Any recommendations for the settings for EAC? Should I just go with the original install settings or are there any recommended instructions that should be used. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for the information. I tried EAC for the first time about two weeks ago. I configured it according to one of the many YouTube videos that are out there, rather than just use the settings that came with the program. I uninstalled it because the settings seemed a little touchy, and wanted to start over again.

Any recommendations for the settings for EAC? Should I just go with the original install settings or are there any recommended instructions that should be used. Thanks in advance.
Well....you should go through the setup.
Menu\EAC\Configuration Wizard
Usually the default recommendations for your drive are fine.
One thing it will do is have you insert a CD, I suggest a very old very popular one e.g. CSN&Y Deja Vu, or any other popular disc that you assume has been ripped many times by people. This will help EAC detect & configure your drive options.

A few things, and I think these are probably default.
Menu\EAC Options, there you will find a series of tabs where you can make selections.
Menu\EAC Options\Extraction...check, if they aren't already:
Fill in missing samples with silence.
Synchronize between tracks
Lock drive tray during extraction.
The first two are the more critical.

After it sets up the parameters for your drive, you can open Drive Options\offset-speed, and there you should see it has compensated for your drive and it will be grayed out. A common number is +6, but depends on drive type/brand etc.
One of the tabs is extraction method. At the bottom of that page there are two buttons, pressing one will detect certain drive features (have a cd inserted).
Under the drive tab, there is an option to "Auto detect read command now". I suggest you push that button as well since that is a critical function.

There are a ton of options, the ones such as how you want the tracks written out, etc are self explanatory, but I wouldn't get real adventurous selecting random options unless you know what they are going to do. Along the way the program will provide suggestions here and there. I suggest sticking mostly with default as concerns the device.
Using the AccurateRip database is probably a good idea, though if it's a new disc it may not be in the database yet, and you will have the option to send the data in, where over time it will be compared with others' rips so that down the line AccurateRip can determine how likely it is someone got an accurate rip compared to past ones, which is the whole purpose of the database.

That's about all I can remember off hand.
Seems like a long time ago there was a guide on Hydrogen Audio.

Back