For all you YES fans.....AVOID this title at all costs.....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicmemorabiliashoppellc

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
As the Robot in "Lost In Space" says.....'WARNING, WARNING, WARNING"
Yes Going for the One 7 inch from Japan Front Cover.jpg
(n):eek:🤮

What’s the problem?
It’s a great album, so bad mastering?
Of course the album is GREAT!!!! This is the worst I've ever heard it BAR NONE.....Not sure if it's the MASTERING or what I just know it sounds SHRILL!!! 🤮 Ask anyone else the best one is the SACD from Mobile Fidelity and I don't have that one:( not yet anyhow....but soon I hope:D

Actually there are 2 versions of the Mobile Fidelity one.......one with the pic of the Album on the disc itself and another with a black background with writing on it. Which one is better anyone know?

Would LOVE to see Steven Wilson do this as his next YES release in Blu Ray 5.1

Last edited:
Good to know, thank you...you probably are aware of the Drama SACD I got a few months ago which was compressed to HIGH HEAVEN, although the EQ was not that bad, although it was put thru a "Smiley EQ" curve...
No I didn't but don't like that album at all.....saw that tour I hated it with the Buggles.... 🤮 Would have rather seen Judas Priest that same night at the El Macambo in Toronto :love:

Be safe Kap....I'm prayin' for ya🙏

Of course the album is GREAT!!!! This is the worst I've ever heard it BAR NONE.....Not sure if it's the MASTERING or what I just know it sounds SHRILL!!! 🤮 Ask anyone else the best one is the SACD from Mobile Fidelity and I don't have that one:( not yet anyhow....but soon I hope:D

Actually there are 2 versions of the Mobile Fidelity one.......one with the pic of the Album on the disc itself and another with a black background with writing on it. Which one is better anyone know?

Would LOVE to see Steven Wilson do this as his next YES release in Blu Ray 5.1

And I'll bet you paid good money for it, too. Gotta piss you off when you pay a premium to get crap.

There’s also an Audio Fidelity SACD issue. I prefer it to my old regular versions but it’s still kind of shrill despite some more bass. It’s a bit lower in level. Yes, I can wish for a great multichannel remix!

There’s also an Audio Fidelity SACD issue. I prefer it to my old regular versions but it’s still kind of shrill despite some more bass. It’s a bit lower in level. Yes, I can wish for a great multichannel remix!
Maybe it's the Audio Fidelity that I meant to speak of
?

Last edited:
I have four versions of "Going For The One" (but not that one), and prefer the AF one. Of the vinyl, I will not speak, as I hate the medium (having grown up with it. Oops! I spoke :p). This is the version I have:
81WE5+3J-kL._SX522_.jpg

I've heard three positions on the possibility of Wilson doing the 5.1 mix:

1. The original tapes have been lost, so a proper 5.1 mix can't be done.
2. The original tapes DO exist (Steve Howe, in response to a fan question).
3. Wilson, very carefully in his word choice, said the tapes weren't "available".

2 & 3 make me think the tapes do exist, but there is some problem about a re-release that we don't know about.

Parallels has always sounded horrible, on every release. I would love to hear a cleaned up surround mix.

I just noticed that the DR values of the CD layer of the Audio Fidelity hybrid SACD are very slightly higher than the SACD layer ... And the RBCD from 1989 is higher than BOTH the AF SACD and RBCD layers! Hmmmm!

As an oldie (60) my ears probably can't pick up an average DR difference of 2, and it always gets played very loud at night as I live alone in the country with no neighbours (just a possum in the attic, who's out foraging at night anyway). :)

But I agree, that's a puzzling find. Perhaps the experts amongst us could explain why this should be the case as a higher DR value is usually a good thing - maybe that DR values are not the "be-all and end-all", so are often trumped by other considerations?

If this is the same "mastering" as the SACD box set, agreed!
Some of the most extreme lo-fi shrill volume war sound you can find. Over the top insulting to the music.

DR values?
I can make the meter hit any number you want to see at any volume level. Just like all the commercials used to. LUFS is more telling. But you also don't really need a meter to notice the shrill stepped on badness of the volume war hash. Trust your ears. And don't punish them with this stuff!

The Japanese SACD pressings of Yes albums are all pretty horrific. So bad that I listened to a couple tracks and said, in the dumps with this.
I think if I wanted to rebuild my Yes collection other than the SW’s I would purchase a 24/96 vinyl rip. There is at least one site I know of.

I have four versions of "Going For The One" (but not that one), and prefer the AF one. Of the vinyl, I will not speak, as I hate the medium (having grown up with it. Oops! I spoke :p). This is the version I have:
View attachment 56344

I've heard three positions on the possibility of Wilson doing the 5.1 mix:

1. The original tapes have been lost, so a proper 5.1 mix can't be done.
2. The original tapes DO exist (Steve Howe, in response to a fan question).
3. Wilson, very carefully in his word choice, said the tapes weren't "available".

2 & 3 make me think the tapes do exist, but there is some problem about a re-release that we don't know about.

The best I've heard is also this Audio Fidelity SACD.

I just noticed that the DR values of the CD layer of the Audio Fidelity hybrid SACD are very slightly higher than the SACD layer:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=yes&album=Going+for+the+one
And the RBCD from 1989 is higher than BOTH the AF SACD and RBCD layers! Hmmmm!

81WE5+3J-kL._SX522_.jpg

As an oldie (60) my ears probably can't pick up an average DR difference of 2, and it always gets played very loud at night as I live alone in the country with no neighbours (just a possum in the attic, who's out foraging at night anyway). :)

But I agree, that's a puzzling find. Perhaps the experts amongst us could explain why this should be the case as a higher DR value is usually a good thing - maybe that DR values are not the "be-all and end-all", so are often trumped by other considerations?

The Audio Fidelity CD and SACD layers both contain the exact same mastering. The DR meter is tricked by residual ultrasonic noise due to the DSD to PCM conversion of the SACD layer.
Also this SACD has full dynamics, again the DR meter is tricked by more bass content on the SACD vs. the old 80s CD (made from a vinyl master with shaved bass).

Back