For all you YES fans.....AVOID this title at all costs.....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If this is the same "mastering" as the SACD box set, agreed!
Some of the most extreme lo-fi shrill volume war sound you can find. Over the top insulting to the music.

DR values?
I can make the meter hit any number you want to see at any volume level. Just like all the commercials used to. LUFS is more telling. But you also don't really need a meter to notice the shrill stepped on badness of the volume war hash. Trust your ears. And don't punish them with this stuff!
The Japanese SACD pressings of Yes albums are all pretty horrific. So bad that I listened to a couple tracks and said, in the dumps with this.
I think if I wanted to rebuild my Yes collection other than the SW’s I would purchase a 24/96 vinyl rip. There is at least one site I know of.

Yes it seems to be a re-pressing of the "High Vibration" Japanese SACD box, which contain horribly shrill and compressed mastering for the Yes albums...

I've seen 2 different versions of the Audio Fidelity one with a pic of the LP cover on the disc itself and one with a background of black with writing on it....is there any difference?

Hmm, there is only one pressing of the Audio Fidelity SACD and it has black background with gold lettering on the disc, like the photos here.
You might have seen a bootleg or something.

Although I don't have this disc, I'm not surprised that it sounds shrill and has a low DR value. I've almost stopped buying CD's as most sound so bad. The loudness war must still be on. The old not remastered CD's from the eighties are still the best. The CD's included in the Roxy Music (first album) box set are IMHO unlistenable, while the original CD as well as the vinyl sound fine.

Is there some o_O reason why this would be SO expensive on eBay?

Yes - Going for the One

(And they have the NERVE to charge $20 for shipping.)
The link you have is for the entire SACD Box Set.
The seller is just gouging. No one will buy it. The Steven Wilson remixes made those discs obsolete, even though he has not done all in this box set, individually there are the Japanese SACD’s.
My advice if someone wanted to get a complete Yes HI Res collection, purchase all the SW remixes, and the earliest RBCD’s you can find, pre loudness, definitely do not buy remastered CD’s.
You can also buy some 24bit downloads from HDTracks, and there could be a mixed bag of improvement.

The link you have is for the entire SACD Box Set.
The seller is just gouging. No one will buy it. The Steven Wilson remixes made those discs obsolete, even though he has not done all in this box set, individually there are the Japanese SACD’s.
My advice if someone wanted to get a complete Yes HI Res collection, purchase all the SW remixes, and the earliest RBCD’s you can find, pre loudness, definitely do not buy remastered CD’s.
You can also buy some 24bit downloads from HDTracks, and there could be a mixed bag of improvement.
So you don't like the Audio Fidelity of Going For The One?

No I didn't but don't like that album at all.....saw that tour I hated it with the Buggles.... 🤮 Would have rather seen Judas Priest that same night at the El Macambo in Toronto :love:

Be safe Kap....I'm prayin' for ya🙏

I would trade you seeing the Yes Drama show for the GTR show.

I was thrilled to get great seats at Massey Hall for the GTR show,
which went on sale before the album came out. It sure sounded great
"on paper". Later, hearing the album, I went "oh-oh" - and the concert
delivered a heaping helping of lackluster.

I saw both tours. Drama was the better of the two.
I enjoyed the acoustic set of the GTR show. But other than the Genesis medley, I didn't care for the second set. I didn't stay for the encore.

I'm pretty sure I was also at that GTR show at Massey Hall as well.....I thought it was pretty good....just not AMAAZING

I loved the acoustic set for the GTR show. Pennants, Spectral Mornings, I Know What I Like, and Please Don't Touch were great as well. My friend and I looked at each other when they started that Heart Rules The Mind track and decided to beat the crowd getting out.

This album will always sound shrill, as it has since 1977. It's simply got terrible, tinny, reverb-drenched production (the worst offender being 'Parallels'..just dire). Audio Fidelity SACD mastering doesn't save it. Neither does HDtracks (as opposed to Drama and Tormato, where the HDtracks sources are actually improvements on disk versions). Limiting the dynamic range, as on the old Japanese mini-LP HDCD disc, certainly won't help. The best hope for this album sound-wise is a remix...which doesn't seem in the cards, as the multitracks are MIA.

Last edited:
Back