For those who endorse high priced tweaks

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My preference on cables is to get something that seems well built, is reasonably flexible but with well shielded wire. Over the years I've settled on Monster products. I know they aren't well liked by many and they have sometimes dipped their toes in low-end tweakville, but they fit the bill and are offered in labeled 6 channel sets for surround use.

I LOVE THE SMELL [& TACTILE FEEL] OF EXPENSIVE TWEAKS IN THE MORNING......THEY SMELL LIKE VICTORY!

YES, ALL COMPONENTS & SPEAKERS SOUND THE SAME. RECEIVERS ARE AS GOOD AS HIGHER END SEPARATES AND THE HIGH END AUDIO INDUSTRY IS ONE BIG FRAUD!

NOW GO BACK TO DRINKING YOUR RIPPLE ... YOU NON BELIEVERS!

Last edited:
RECEIVERS ARE AS GOOD AS HIGHER END SEPARATES AND THE HIGH END AUDIO INDUSTRY IS ONE BIG FRAUD!

Its interesting you say that Ralphie, going by the reviews at ASR, some of the best surround pre-pros are Denon receivers with pre outs and the power amps disabled, that and pieces of pro gear. There is also a lot of respect being given to the newer class D designs in power amps.

One of the best rated DACs is an Oppo disc player, the 205 I think.

Last edited:
Its interesting you say that Ralphie, going by the reviews at ASR, some of the best surround pre-pros are Denon receivers with pre outs and the power amps disabled, that and pieces of pro gear. There is also a lot of respect being given to the newer class D designs in power amps.

One of the best rated DACs is an Oppo disc player, the 205 I think.

Regarding the DENONS, that's good to know. At least they're loaded with the very latest higher tech CODECS which a lot of even higher end separate pre/pros cannot compete with....including multiple HDMI inputs/outputs.

And good to know about the OPPO 205 .... am LOVING it. Too bad they don't do ONE MORE RUN.

Let's face it folks, many on this forum will eventually be in the market for this type of high end tweek:

tweek.jpg

All of this hocus-pocus is strictly for revenue generation. An audio dealer here in the '90s sold a clock radio that he said if plugged into the same outlet as your audio system would make the audio better. He also sold green magic markers for CDs, replacement power cords for your amps and receivers (at huge bucks) and of course and cosmic cables the size of vacuum cleaner hoses.

Very nice.......................:confused:

If you are still interested in this, some of the best entertainment value comes in the 8 pages or so of comments that follow the review. Guys talking about legal action and such. Even comments from the cable "donator". I like Amirm's test thoroughness a lot, He tries and usually succeeds in correlating the measurements to what he hears. He also has a nice description of expectation bias in one of those two cable reviews.

A lot of products, many of which are high end and expensive, get very poor reviews based on the objective testing. I'm very surprised there isn't more of a response from the manufacturers to defend their products.

The replies to this thread are pretty tweak-negative so far. I was wondering if I'd see any of the pro-tweak side of the coin. Not that i want an argument or anything, I dont. But if there is a reasonable argument against how the reviews are conducted, I'd like to hear it.

Well, despite what I said about cables before, I am very torn about some other high end components. I have long felt that because certain bench tests show better or worse results, doesn't necessarily reflect better or worse sound, at least subjectively. Granted, esoteric high end audio becomes a matter of taste (or ego?) but an easy example is to compare a decent tube amp with a similar transistor amp. While the tube amp may cost a good deal more, on a bench, the specs may be far better for the cheaper transistor amp. But that said, which sounds better? To me often the tube amp, all other things being equal despite the transistor amp having lower THD, faster response, and so forth. Sometimes its said that when driven, a tube amp will clip in a less sudden and annoying fashion and other perhaps harder to measure characteristics. I eventually came to the conclusion that maybe I don't like '100% accurate' reproduction. Its another reason I prefer vinyl to rebook CDs. Once I embraced the concept that if I was going to set up a system for me, I was going to get what sounded good to me, and no other criteria (almost). That lead to me using 1980s vintage Conrad Johnson power amps. Not the most accurate by any means. The design has been said to color the sound warmer and softer. Perhaps, but I use it 90% of the time coupled with the Tate, which tends to sound rather brittle, so does it cancel out? Long story short, get what you enjoy. Screw the testers and the snobs.

If you are still interested in this, some of the best entertainment value comes in the 8 pages or so of comments that follow the review. Guys talking about legal action and such. Even comments from the cable "donator". I like Amirm's test thoroughness a lot, He tries and usually succeeds in correlating the measurements to what he hears. He also has a nice description of expectation bias in one of those two cable reviews.

A lot of products, many of which are high end and expensive, get very poor reviews based on the objective testing. I'm very surprised there isn't more of a response from the manufacturers to defend their products.

The replies to this thread are pretty tweak-negative so far. I was wondering if I'd see any of the pro-tweak side of the coin. Not that i want an argument or anything, I dont. But if there is a reasonable argument against how the reviews are conducted, I'd like to hear it.
I'd say most folks here are reasonable headed compared to many of the other audiophilia sites. There are rarely any cogent science based arguments on it anyway. It usually just gets down to " I can hear a difference " or its my money and I can spend it on whatever makes me happy. That is their choice.

The manufacturers probably think it is best to stay silent rather than speak up and expose themselves. They have no reason to speak because people who are so inclined are gullible enough to buy their wares anyway. They are unlikely to be able to make their case to skeptical engineers anyway. Only thing they try to do is silence people by threatening lawsuits etc.

Back