For those who endorse high priced tweaks

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once I embraced the concept that if I was going to set up a system for me, I was going to get what sounded good to me, and no other criteria (almost). That lead to me using 1980s vintage Conrad Johnson power amps. Not the most accurate by any means. The design has been said to color the sound warmer and softer. Perhaps, but I use it 90% of the time coupled with the Tate, which tends to sound rather brittle, so does it cancel out? Long story short, get what you enjoy. Screw the testers and the snobs.
I understand what your saying and have traveled that road a bit myself in my 50+ years of being a audio enthusiast. For myself the final answer was to build the most accurate, cleanest system I could afford. Your path leads to a sonic dead end, once you've populated your system with turntables, tubes, high distortion solid state pieces and alike, there's no way out except to replace all that gear with cleaner stuff. If you build your kit around the best measuring, most accurate pieces you can, it is dead simple to add in FR variations, harmonic distortion devices, and all the rest to tune the rig to your taste. Some day you might be interested in hearing what the artist, engineer, producer, etc; wanted you to hear when he created his piece of art. ;)

My rear speakers, since the cable has a lot further to go, are 16 gauge lamp cord. The fronts are a little 'fancier' since they are shorter. But I don't hear any difference.
You haven't stated the actual distance to your speakers but still I would only comment that 16 gauge wire is on the thin side for what I would chose. It's possible to introduce your speakers impedance, amplifier output impedance and damping factor, and the LCR per foot of the cable of your choice and determine the minimal size needed so as not to introduce any audible changes to the signal.. But that's a big PITA and just using a good OFC twin lead of 12g for runs up to 25 ft and 10g for up to 50 ft will put you in a comfort zone where there's no worry of signal loss/change. Wire of this type can be purchased at a very low cost from suppliers like BlueJeanCable custom terminated, or Sky High Car Audio cable which is what I have in my rig now. Don't let the "Car Audio" branding scare you, it just has insulation designed to withstand temperature and humidity variations that aren't usually seen inside the home. Very nice flexible stuff in a large variety of gauges, colors, and lengths to suite your needs at a reasonable cost.
What do they sound like, the source, what else. LOL

Last edited:
Last night's Colbert. A couple at Balthazar in NYC ordered an $18 bottle of wine and instead got the $2000 bottle ordered by the table of businessmen nearby. The businessmen got the cheap bottle--and didn't notice the difference. In fact, they praised the wine's "purity." Colbert's comment: "Mmm, yes, I detect some oakiness, some tannins, and strong overtones of the crap I'm full of."

Last night's Colbert. A couple at Balthazar in NYC ordered an $18 bottle of wine and instead got the $2000 bottle ordered by the table of businessmen nearby. The businessmen got the cheap bottle--and didn't notice the difference. In fact, they praised the wine's "purity." Colbert's comment: "Mmm, yes, I detect some oakiness, some tannins, and strong overtones of the crap I'm full of."

As James Thurber once quipped, " A naive domestic burgundy, but I'm sure you'll be amused by its' presumption."

And like Fine Wines, exotic speaker cables remarkably improve and mellow with age, bestowing sonic bliss to the ears of discerning Audiophiles......and who wants to stare at [UGH!] ZIP CORD when garden hose variety speaker cable looks oh so much more beauteous!🌹🌺🌸🌻

And if someone were to yell FIRE, zip cord won't extinguish the flames ..... as for that garden hose variety speaker cable ... 🔥pfft!

If You GOT IT, $PEND IT. Remember, there are NO pockets in the caskets/cremation containers!

See the source image

Last edited:

This is awesome, and I love Colbert. I think there are real parallels between some wine drinkers and audiophiles (so-called). But. Don't get me started on wine. I have never had a $2000 bottle of wine so I am not sure I would be able to appreciate it, but there is outstanding wine to be had in the $25 or so range. I don't understand getting the $8 Safeway wines when this is the case, unless you can't tell the difference, and many people say they can't, although I wonder if they just never took the time to see if they can. I can taste the difference between these two levels I have mentioned, but as with my tube amps, I am happy there. I don't see the need to save up for a much more expensive wine, or a more accurate system. As they say, I may not know_____, but I know what I like. At least I think I do. There's always the chance I could try a $2000 bottle and think it was heaven and then want it all the time. That would be worse than getting married again. But I digress...

I didn't buy cables with tinned ends. I made my own with a soldering iron. That way the tin was anywhere I cut the wire.

Ceramic cartridges are piezoelectric.

Rubbing balloons in your hair and sticking them on walls is triboelectric.

For myself the final answer was to build the most accurate, cleanest system I could afford. Your path leads to a sonic dead end, once you've populated your system with turntables, tubes, high distortion solid state pieces and alike, there's no way out except to replace all that gear with cleaner stuff. If you build your kit around the best measuring, most accurate pieces you can, it is dead simple to add in FR variations, harmonic distortion devices, and all the rest to tune the rig to your taste. Some day you might be interested in hearing what the artist, engineer, producer, etc; wanted you to hear when he created his piece of art. ...

Absolute 100% agreement with that! Even in cases I find myself in disagreement with the audio as delivered, that is always my required starting point.

Supposedly, it has lower resistivity, is more flexible, and corrodes less. To what degree these issues differ from non OF copper, and even more importantly, how they affect sound, I cant really say.
It has a bulk resistivity about 1% lower. Significant in vast lengths and at very high currents e.g. in power station sized generators. Not significant (nor readily measurable) in a few metres of the stuff carrying speaker currents.

Wine...after the first two glasses does it really make a difference anymore?

Audio...ever notice how your system sounds better after it’s been pounding your ears with 80 to 85dBs for awhile?
Right? Many times I've had friends over for wine and after the first couple of bottles I substitute cheaper wine and no one ever notices. This is always true! That's why at wine tastings you get that tiny amount.
I don't know that my system sounds better after pounding my ears. It DOES sound better after the second glass of wine!

to paraphrase Taryl Dactyl: "It ain't the space shuttle. It's a record player!"

(see You Tube channel "Taryl Fixes All" )
But that said, a modern 21st century component (which I confess I don't have any!) has much more technology in it than the shuttle did. But then so does my iPhone 11.

I didn't buy cables with tinned ends. I made my own with a soldering iron. That way the tin was anywhere I cut the wire.

Ceramic cartridges are piezoelectric.

Rubbing balloons in your hair and sticking them on walls is triboelectric.
I agree piezo is compression/expansion, tribo is frictional

Back