For those who endorse high priced tweaks

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a forum member who spent a good part of my career working in the power business, allow me to explain how things really are. Only the most inefficient, power hungry speakers are capable of delivering accurate audio production, so you will need really humongous amplifiers to power them. Make sure that these amplifiers are of the type that require large biasing currents and are at least 1000 WPC RMS tube monoblocks. For those of you with a full-boat Atmos setup, this means 11 monoblocks and 4 powered subwoofers. Do not be fooled into thinking that anything less than 1000 WPC is adequate even for those little ceiling speakers. They are power hungry little buggers.

Then to cool all those monoblocks you must install enormous power gouging air conditioning equipment. 20 tons should do the trick. Also, do not be misguided into thinking that those tube monoblocks will keep you warm. The amount of A/C needed to keep those tube amps cool will require that you also install two good size electric space heaters, one on each side of you so you do not freeze to death from the amplifier air conditioning.

While you are at it, you should install the biggest refrigerator possible in your listening room and keep it fully stocked with beer all of the time. Make sure that you buy room temperature beer so that your refrigerator has to work hard to get it cold.

Lastly, your room lighting should be high-wattage incandescent bulbs. Efficient fluorescent and LED lighting will interfere with your audio signals and should be avoided at all costs.

My pension plan thanks you for your support.

As a forum member who spent a good part of my career working in the power business, allow me to explain how things really are. Only the most inefficient, power hungry speakers are capable of delivering accurate audio production, so you will need really humongous amplifiers to power them. Make sure that these amplifiers are of the type that require large biasing currents and are at least 1000 WPC RMS tube monoblocks. For those of you with a full-boat Atmos setup, this means 11 monoblocks and 4 powered subwoofers. Do not be fooled into thinking that anything less than 1000 WPC is adequate even for those little ceiling speakers. They are power hungry little buggers.

Then to cool all those monoblocks you must install enormous power gouging air conditioning equipment. 20 tons should do the trick. Also, do not be misguided into thinking that those tube monoblocks will keep you warm. The amount of A/C needed to keep those tube amps cool will require that you also install two good size electric space heaters, one on each side of you so you do not freeze to death from the amplifier air conditioning.

While you are at it, you should install the biggest refrigerator possible in your listening room and keep it fully stocked with beer all of the time. Make sure that you buy room temperature beer so that your refrigerator has to work hard to get it cold.

Lastly, your room lighting should be high-wattage incandescent bulbs. Efficient fluorescent and LED lighting will interfere with your audio signals and should be avoided at all costs.

Pretty funny!!
One thing that struck me that you said, however is the stuff about incandescent bulbs. Since the wiring in my house is approaching 100 years old, I have converted almost all fixtures possible to LEDs. Incandescents get so hot and draw so many more amps. My point is that some light fixtures on the same breaker as my system will introduce noise into my system if they are on while its running. LEDs seem to minimize this. Not to sound like a broken record, but I suspect this is a matter of the non-existent shielding on my wiring and how many amps are being drawn. Or maybe its all in my head...

Pretty funny!!
One thing that struck me that you said, however is the stuff about incandescent bulbs. Since the wiring in my house is approaching 100 years old, I have converted almost all fixtures possible to LEDs. Incandescents get so hot and draw so many more amps. My point is that some light fixtures on the same breaker as my system will introduce noise into my system if they are on while its running. LEDs seem to minimize this. Not to sound like a broken record, but I suspect this is a matter of the non-existent shielding on my wiring and how many amps are being drawn. Or maybe its all in my head...

Some audio folks claim that the transformers in LED lighting cause interference with audio signals. (This stuff is endless!) But most complaints have been with RF interference, such as with garage door openers.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ana...-bulbs-cause-interference-audio-circuits.html
Regarding wiring in an older home, a relative has a built-in audio/intercom system in his house built circa mid-1960s. He's also got dimmer switches all over the place. You can distinctly hear humming in the mid-60's audio system from these dimmer switches. While I suspect that it's a case by case issue, and I hope that modern equipment is better, I would avoid putting dimmers on the same circuits as audio systems. I've got a few circa mid-90's dimmers in my house (not on any circuits driving audio systems) and I can hear them humming when set to lower lighting levels.

The problem is that mains powered LEDs are manufactured with many different types of potentially ‘dirty’ drive circuitry. Some use entirely passive capacitive droppers. Some use switch mode power supplies. And there’s a whole variety of odd things in between. Some are badly made and some are not. As a consequence, some of them cause RF interference, some do not and some cause mains born interference and some do not.

Crazy. :cool: :geek:
Saved by the wire, SAVED BY THE WIRE!
giphy-downsized-large.gif

That looks like the same make & model of rubber bat as the one I once tossed at my mom as she entered the living room, lo those many years ago. Look out Ma it's a BAT!! She was pointedly nonplussed.

O, for those simpler times, lobbing rubber bats at Mom... :cry:

One advantage living in a country with a 230V power system is double the (115V) voltage means we only need half the amps to deliver same power. Less current means smaller cables/volt drop for large loads.

I just finally got this into my head within the last couple months. Also learned that the UK started at 120v like the USA but converted to 240v long ago. The USA considered switching to 240v, but by then we were already victims of our own success, so to speak: So many average Americans already had washing machines, TVs, etc. that it was decided that a switch would cause too much expensive disruption to the average consumer.

I just finally got this into my head within the last couple months. Also learned that the UK started at 120v like the USA but converted to 240v long ago.
Not really, there was no single starting point and 120Vac was never used particularly commonly. Before the late 1920’s there was no national standard. Up to that point there was a huge range of voltages in use from 100 – 250Vac at frequencies anything from 30 – 100 Hz. But DC was still very common too. It just depended where you lived and who had set up a local generator and what equipment happened to be available to do so. The creation of the National Grid required standardisation. The nominal voltage was quickly established at 240Vac. Former EU regulations required the UK and Europe to be harmonised and in a triumph of specmanship state that the mains supply voltage must be 230 Vac +10% / -6%. This allowed the European 220Vac system to stay at 220 Vac and the UK to stay at 240Vac, but allowed both parties to claim to have the same nominal voltage without anybody changing anything. Brilliant! My supply normally sits around 243Vac.

WE INTERRUPT THIS CALL WITH AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE from your Prime Minister!

See the source image
Looks like he was fizzing with excitement............well for a while before getting Fricasseed :devilish: :ROFLMAO:
strangely the squirrels (they are actually introduced from the US to the UK by some crazy Victorian and have almost driven out our native Reds) don't play on the overhead power lines at the front of my house, just the telephone lines that come at the back.

Looks like he was fizzing with excitement............well for a while before getting Fricasseed :devilish: :ROFLMAO:
strangely the squirrels (they are actually introduced from the US to the UK by some crazy Victorian and have almost driven out our native Reds) don't play on the overhead power lines at the front of my house, just the telephone lines that come at the back.

Leave out a jar of SKIPPY Extra Chunky: Problem Solved.

See the source image

<Bleep> Grey squirrels do, they have chewed through my phone line 3 times!
Terrible! Lots of them here.
Just a note;>)
Ian Anderson has mentioned liking the black squirrels while in Canada.

Back