For those who endorse high priced tweaks

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really, there was no single starting point and 120Vac was never used particularly commonly.

Are you seriously suggesting that something I read on the Internet might be less than accurate? :D

I'm pretty sure the article I stumbled across while trying to make sense of my own house wiring was Why isn't there a standard voltage around the world? and, typically, I didn't even remember it correctly. It didn't single out the UK, it mentioned Europe, though maybe it's inaccurate there as well. The fact that it claims Japan is on 120v is not encouraging.

Before the late 1920’s there was no national standard. Up to that point there was a huge range of voltages in use from 100 – 250Vac at frequencies anything from 30 – 100 Hz. But DC was still very common too. It just depended where you lived and who had set up a local generator and what equipment happened to be available to do so.

I just tried to find a news story from several years back about the last of some non-standard voltage supplier here in the USA (rural New York, maybe?) finally shutting down, but I'm not having any luck at all. It was fascinating to me at the time that something like that still existed in this country in this century, but apparently didn't fascinate me enough to allow me to, you know, RETAIN THE MEMORY.

One of the last times my cable went out, they had to replace the feed line from the pole to the building. When they were finished, dude showed me a section of cable that had so obviously been chewed to death by a squirrel, and announced, with a straight face, "Looks like you got hit by lightning here." I thought he was kidding - "Really??" I asked. "Oh yeah, it happens all the time."

Oh well - at least the cable got fixed.

When I was in Normandy in the 1980s on a school trip, it was on 110V (don't recall the frequency) whereas the rest of France was on 220V as now. I don't know if Normandy is still on 110V and if not when it changed.

Japan is weird. It's on 100V one of the lowest voltages in the world. Worst still, half the country is on 50Hz and half is on 60Hz. I believe it is a consequence of what generating equipment was available for post WWII re-construction, but I could be wrong about that.

A friend of mine has a $350,000 system and has $100,000 (retail) in high end cables. All I know is that it was one of the best sounding stereo systems I've ever heard in my life and I've listened to a lot of them at CES shows

Last edited:
Ordered in November my acoustic treatments arrive from GIK Acoustics today:LB

NO DOUBT you will be thrilled, Markie. While I'm waiting FOREVER for my new system to be installed [sitting in CRATES in the mancave] I did place some room tunes behind my secondary surround system's B&W 802 Nautilus Speakers and all I can say is HOLY🦇 BATSHIT. HUGE DIFFERENCE!

NO DOUBT you will be thrilled, Markie. While I'm waiting FOREVER for my new system to be installed [sitting in CRATES in the mancave] I did place some room tunes behind my secondary surround system's B&W 802 Nautilus Speakers and all I can say is HOLY🦇 BATSHIT. HUGE DIFFERENCE!
Good for you Ralphie, can't wait for you to have it all put together.
I like this guy on You tube-VP Concepts he doesn't put anything down, he just try's it all.

Good for you Ralphie, can't wait for you to have it all put together.
I like this guy on You tube-VP Concepts he doesn't put anything down, he just try's it all.

Oooh, he’s got those lovely little supports to keep his 'directional' speaker cables off the floor. Tells you all you need to know really.

My full order did not come in today:( only rear diffusers and bass traps. The rest arrive next week, they say. I'll put them upstairs in the media room this weekend.
IMG_0986.jpg
IMG_0987.jpg

Back