[Stereo Review May 1964] For True Lovers of the Absurd..must read Hilarious! (Enoch Light Dimension 3 Stereo)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only QSound album I can speak to is Roger Waters' Amused to Death (1993). With just standard stereo playback, many sound effects were indeed placed beyond the left and right front speakers. I thought it was fairly impressive. I have a few other QSound CD's, but can't offer any feedback on them because it's been too long since I've sat and listeed to them.
Madonna's Immaculate Collection was also in Q Sound

madonnacollectioncdcolombia.jpg
the-immaculate-collection-usa-limited-edition-satin-cd-album-[3]-5338-p.jpg

In addition to Amused to Death, I've got Richard Wright's Broken China, Madonna's The Immaculate Collection, and Sting's The Soul Cages. But, I've either never listened to them with my stereo system set up, or in the case of Madonna, haven't listened to it at all. I keep my eyes out for them though, based on my impressions from Amused to Death.

I think you are saying you cannot turn Qsound off, meaning it bothers you (I think). Just wanna know if you find it disturbing. Same with our TSS (two speaker surround) mode. It works with 70% of heads but sounds crapper to the 30%
Yes, exactly that. Probably why I don't like listening to headphones either - they just don't sound 'right' and I'm never convinced by the imaging of binaural recordings.

Yes, exactly that. Probably why I don't like listening to headphones either - they just don't sound 'right' and I'm never convinced by the imaging of binaural recordings.
Ah, I understand. Your head is obviously not in the "correct" 70% group. That's the issue with HRTF stuff, there are around 15 different "flavors" of heads and you cannot please all folk. Sucks to be you as they say. I am one of the lucky ones in that Q Sound works really well with my head. Interestingly it does not work with my ever large and charming son little Max or my wife, it works with my daughter and really well with "Dave the Bitch". My business partner Dawson is known a puddinghead as he has zero ability to use his head to decode any HRTF related stuff.

Sounds like the same thing as Carver's hologram generators (I have a C-9). Also, the Polk SDA series of speakers that did it at speaker level instead of at the purely electronical level.

Doug

I had a chance to listen to a pair of Polk SDA speakers back in the 1980s, and if you sat in just the right spot, the effect was impressive. Sounds came from beyond the left and right speakers, and anything panned partially to the left or right could be localized.

Ah, I understand. Your head is obviously not in the "correct" 70% group. That's the issue with HRTF stuff, there are around 15 different "flavors" of heads and you cannot please all folk. Sucks to be you as they say. I am one of the lucky ones in that Q Sound works really well with my head. Interestingly it does not work with my ever large and charming son little Max or my wife, it works with my daughter and really well with "Dave the Bitch". My business partner Dawson is known a puddinghead as he has zero ability to use his head to decode any HRTF related stuff.
Yes, thanks Chucky, nice to know my head is unusual! Interestingly (and luckily) I do have a very acute sense of imaging of conventional stereo over two speakers. It is very “3D” for me in a way that I suspect it isn’t for a lot of my friends and family who often don’t even seem to notice if something is in stereo or mono! On good recordings I can readily hear images beyond the confines of the speakers without any “holographic processing” jiggery-pokery and I don’t seem to be limited by the small “sweet spot” constraints that a lot of people are. The fact that loudspeaker listening is very real for me whilst binaural / headphone listening not only doesn’t work but I actually find unpleasant presumably tells us something about the way the brain-ear combination works – if only we were clever enough to understand it!

Back in the eighties, I recorded some cassettes through a Carver C-9 and so now, when they are played, the effect is on them.

The de facto standard track to play to demonstrate sonic holography was "Whole Lotta Love". Quite amazing.

Doug

Back