[Stereo Review May 1964] For True Lovers of the Absurd..must read Hilarious! (Enoch Light Dimension 3 Stereo)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markbark

This may be the most absurd ad that was ever printed. From July May 1964 Stereo Review page 1964. You might also want to check out the review of Meet The Beatles and Barbara Streisand while your there. https://worldradiohistory.com Everyone stay well!!!! Mark

Attachments

• Opera Snapshot_2020-10-17_144534_worldradiohistory.com.png
    Opera Snapshot_2020-10-17_144534_worldradiohistory.com.png
    595.6 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Heh, I picked up a copy of that album a few years back, partially for the humor novelty of the revelation of a phantom center channel, and because it was an Enoch Light album. A footnote amongst his quads.

While it might seem a bit absurd to us today, back in 1964 stereo was still relatively new. Many demonstration records would of showed off stereo with exaggerated separation and ping pong effects. So the use of the phantom centre might not of been understood as yet by a lot of people. Although those early stereo consoles always had a mono switch that when set to mono the sound would seem to emanate from between the speakers you would think the the basic idea of a phantom channel would of been obvious.

Where does this land on the timeline for the emergence of stereo soundfield elements in a mix as the norm vs the (more accurately called) dual mono style mixes? There's "brochure speak" in there no matter how you look at it but they were obviously comparing this against the dual mono mixes that people would be familiar with. I know there are stereo soundfield style recordings that predate this but maybe the majority of mixes were dual mono when this was written?

I love the Command ad claiming a new development in using the center channel in stereo! LOL. Of course when stereo first came out, mixers often ignored the center channel as a way of demonstrating how dramatic stereo could be. But there's nothing special about a record using the center channel, of course. I think of this when I listen to early quad mixes that isolate each instrument in one speaker. Same thing, trying to be demonstrative of the potential. This ad is just silly.

I looked around to see what this was about. The description makes it sound like Dyna quad of the early ‘70s with the haze crossover. But it’s only two Chanel which seems impossible. A look at artists using it seems like it ended in 2000. Anyone else know what it’s about?

Nothing like Dynaquad, QSound was a processing algorithm used to manipulate filters that attempted to create a pseudo binaural effect when the processed signal was played back over two speakers. It was briefly popular with video games producers, which tells you all you need to know really!

Last edited:
I looked around to see what this was about. A look at artists using it seems like it ended in 2000. Anyone else know what it’s about?

The only QSound album I can speak to is Roger Waters' Amused to Death (1993). With just standard stereo playback, many sound effects were indeed placed beyond the left and right front speakers. I thought it was fairly impressive. I have a few other QSound CD's, but can't offer any feedback on them because it's been too long since I've sat and listeed to them.

Sounds like the same thing as Carver's hologram generators (I have a C-9). Also, the Polk SDA series of speakers that did it at speaker level instead of at the purely electronical level.

Doug

Nothing like Dynaquad, QSound was a processing algorithm used to manipulate filters that attempted to create a pseudo binaural effect when the processed signal was played back over two speakers. It was briefly popular with video games producers, which tells you all you need to know really!
Actually I really like QSound and in many ways there are no losers in this format. In addition the Surround Master really likes decoding it. I really should get of my arse and read up on how they encode, wish it took off. Madonna did Vogue in it and Sting did some stuff in it.

Back