HiRez Poll Foreigner - FOREIGNER [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Foreigner - FOREIGNER

• Total voters
IMO the vocals on the surround mix sound much better with the center channel volume way down (nearly off). Some of the center-channel-only music gets buried as a result, of course, but the majority of it is (nonessential IMO) effects/embellishments, and the added clarity in the vocals is worth the trade-off.

There are lots of good reasons to buy this the album is a solid AOR rock album.
The 5.1 Mix is excellent.
The bonus mateial (demo's in 5.1 incuding one song mot on the original album, a runnning commentary on the album, a couple of video's) is exempliary.

For me the dissappointmnet is the sound quality itself. For me the sound is lacking insomething. compared to Fleetwood Macs Rumours (recorded around teh same time) this sounds dull and lifeless (kind of like the difference between Dolby and MLP), which lets the whole album down and is a real shame. I can only give it an eight.

For me the dissappointmnet is the sound quality itself. For me the sound is lacking insomething. compared to Fleetwood Macs Rumours (recorded around teh same time) this sounds dull and lifeless (kind of like the difference between Dolby and MLP), which lets the whole album down and is a real shame. I can only give it an eight.

What the sound lacks is feeling and compassion-it's a calculated, dull sound meant to sell--not move anyone emotionally, to identify with.

ED :)

A local (Bogotá) store has this album and Queen - The Game for about 40 dollars each.

Is that a good price? Are they HTF at places like ebay?

Hello Pablo? How da hell ya been? :) Haven't seen you around in a while!

About the going rate, which so far isn't terribly prohibitive, but if any kind of multichannel ever catches on with the public, one wonders if some of these will ever be reissued in newer formats(think of quad--or stereo vinyl, or 45's...sheesh, there are some items you can only get in one format!)

So it's worth buying now if you really dig the artist and the music, because the price isn't likely to go down(unless issued on a new format, and who's gonna wait for that to happen?)

Hello Pablo? How da hell ya been? :) Haven't seen you around in a while!

About the going rate, which so far isn't terribly prohibitive, but if any kind of multichannel ever catches on with the public, one wonders if some of these will ever be reissued in newer formats(think of quad--or stereo vinyl, or 45's...sheesh, there are some items you can only get in one format!)

So it's worth buying now if you really dig the artist and the music, because the price isn't likely to go down(unless issued on a new format, and who's gonna wait for that to happen?)

Hello, Ed. Been quite alright, my friend! How 'bout ya?

I love the first Foreigner album (Long, Long Way from Home is my favorite Foreigner song) so I'll go for it tomorrow or on Wednesday. Not sure about the Queen.

Opening a door here. I am a Quad guy, not a current multichannel guy. Not even the DSOTM SACD... yet.

Thanks, Ed.

Hello, Ed. Been quite alright, my friend! How 'bout ya?

I love the first Foreigner album (Long, Long Way from Home is my favorite Foreigner song) so I'll go for it tomorrow or on Wednesday. Not sure about the Queen.

Opening a door here. I am a Quad guy, not a current multichannel guy. Not even the DSOTM SACD... yet.

Thanks, Ed.

Go for the Foreigner disc fist, IMO. Good luck!

Got the Foreigner DVD-A. The Queen was no longer there.

The vocals are off to the left side. Is it my system?

Thanks for the encouragement.

Got the Foreigner DVD-A. The Queen was no longer there.

The vocals are off to the left side. Is it my system?

Thanks for the encouragement.

I haven't put it on recently, but I never noticed the vocals being off to the side.

I love the acoustic guitars in the rear channels. Oh, if the kids weren't in bed I'd crank "Fool For You Anyway" right now!

Pablo,

What is your system setup? Summing to stereo, the lead vocals are in the middle for me.

Hello, Ed.

Yes, it's probably an issue here. But all other sources play centered, even with the same player.

Will check on Sunday if I survive. Swamped with work.

Thanks to all!

For me the dissappointmnet is the sound quality itself. For me the sound is lacking insomething.

I just listened to a few of the songs today ("Starrider", "The Damage Is Done", and "Fool For You Anyway"). I think the thing that's "wrong" is that the drums are very low in the mix. They sound muffled and lack presence. It never bothered me before because I was so enamored with the acoustic guitars and background vocals in the rear speakers. But if there's something they could have done to make this mix jump out, I'm gonna have to say it's in the drums.

Played this one yesterday, probably the first time I seriously listened to it...and my '7' seems about right. It isn't a bad recording, and the mix is good, BUT...there is a certain sterility to it, although thanks to a good, discrete mix, it IS fun for what it is(basic '70s slick rock). If you're a Foreigner fan, probably more fun than if you're not, but the mix makes up for many deficiencies.

Just got an e-mail from amazon letting me know that my order has been cancelled.

Thanks for your order, mike!

Want to manage your order online?
If you need to check the status of your order or make changes, please visit our home page at Amazon.com and click on Your Account at the top of any page.

Purchasing Information:
E-mail Address:
Billing Address:
mike spencer
United States
Shipping Address:
mike spencer
United States

Order Grand Total: $19.97
Get the Amazon.com Visa Card and get $30 back after your first purchase. Plus get up to 3% rewards.
Order Summary:
Shipping Details : newbury_comics
Order #: 104-7792803-xxxxxxx
Shipping Preference: Group my items into as few shipments as possible
Subtotal of Items: $16.99
Shipping & Handling: $2.98
------
Total for this Order: $19.97

Delivery estimate: December 7, 2009 - December 22, 2009
Shipping estimate for these items: December 1, 2009 - December 2, 2009 1 "Foreigner (DVD-Audio Surround Sound)"
Foreigner; DVD Audio; $16.99

A "10".

One of my all-time guilty (cock-rock!) pleasures!

It sounds more wonderful than any Foreigner CD I've ever owned and the deeper album cuts stand up much better for me, both musically in their own right and in 5.1 than the (slightly) tired, played to death hits.

What a band! What a debut!

a 7.
Not my favorite Foreigner LP.(or maybe I need to listen to it more often)
Would have preferred "Double Vision" or even "Head Games" to this....
Very good mix and mastering.
Got this from HMV Japan, so it's got an OBI, and all the extra stuff that Japanese pressings have....gotta hand it to them, they really know their shit...so elegant!

haha!

HMV = His Masters' Voice - UK Record Label of yesteryear and now a Music & Video Retailer (just about clinging on through these crazy economic times though I believe..!).

As for the OBI, I will simply paste the brilliant description from eil.com..

"The term 'obi-strip' is derived from the name of the piece of wide fabric - the obi - that a geisha woman wears around her waist over the traditional Kimono dress. An amazing amount of information is packed onto this little wraparound piece of paper, often noting special tracks, concert dates, discography information and release anniversaries. And, as this information is intended to be read in the home market, it?s all printed in Japanese kanji and ~kana script! Whilst they are safely sealed on new release CD?s they are often discarded once opened, so they should be considered a real bonus when intact on out-of-print CD?s."

Back